Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM

Exclamation New Kitten Cough! hairball or worse? Dr. Lee?

Hi all, I just adopted Oreo 7/21 from a shelter, he is ~ 8 wks, he is a total sweetheart. They told me to watch out for signs of URI, and Day 3 today he has had about 3 coughing/wheezing episodes, he crouches down and seems to spasm with each wheeze. At first I was nervous he was choking or having trouble breathing but after a minute of that he bounces around the room like usual. When we cuddle it seems like he is congested, a little rattly breathing through his nose, so I suspected he might have a little something from the shelter, but should I be worried about the wheezing? My roommate seems to think it sounded like a hairball but he doesn't seem to shed yet unless he swallowed some fabric from his toys. He has vet appointment mon 7/28, should he go earlier? No other symptoms, eats like a little pig, uses the litter box, still seems lively and playful.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
~Cat Servent~

I would see if you can get him in earlier... if it is a Resp. Infection kittens can get very sick very fast. Hopefully it's just the sniffles or a hairball but it's always better safe than sorry! Maybe your vet has cancellations and you can get in before the weekend.

Good luck and congrats on the new addition!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I agree totally with krdahmer - and for those precise reasons. Frankly, it can be shocking to see how quickly kittens can deteriorate. Better for your wallet/purse too - a daytime appointment will take less from there than a nighttime emerg visit. And....trust me, having regrets is not something I'd wish on anyone.

If my Vet doesn't have any formal appointments left in a given day, I am able to just drop off a cat in the AM, then at some free time through the day he will get examined....maybe inquire about that.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree with Rustycat and krdahmer, I foster kittens and they can go downhill very, very quickly. I don't think this should wait another day.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey