Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM

I need help

Hi, I have a 8 month old pom/poodle I know that she was abused in her last home but for the most part she has been doing very well but latley she will pee on the floor right in front of you usually right after being out side, she will even rush back into the house just to pee. My second problem is she thinks she is a vacume, everything goes in her mouth either to be eaten or chewed. She has lots of toys but she seams to prefer my children's toys, socks, shoes, you name it I have even cought her chewing the coffee table. I tell her "no, that's not yours" and I hand her somthing of hers. I have seen her cough up rocks, marbles and carpet strings and I don't know that much about dogs but I am pretty sure this is not good for her.
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Toy breeds are known for being difficult to housetrain. Your dog was no doubt abused because of this, and abuse does not train dogs.

Are you taking her outside, or just putting her out? If the latter, you must take her out on a leash after she wakes up, plays, or eats and wait for her to go. Then you can praise her for doing the right thing, and make her feel successful. You'll have to be patient, and do not give her freedom of the house until she is more reliable.

Each time she is allowed to pee in the house, this behavior is reinforced. Do not punish or scold her, because if she goes in the house, it means you're not watching or confining her properly. Get an X-pen or a crate to keep her out of trouble.
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:44 AM

thank you, I have done all of that. When she pees in the house she will sit right in front of you, wagging her tail and then pee, I am watching her that is why I am so confused. Could she be testing me like my 2 year old daughter? do animals act like toddlers? what about the chewing problem?
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:37 AM

You certainly have your work cut out for you!

Does she pee ONLY when she's in front of you? Could it be submissive urination? Does it appear to come out without her even noticing? Maybe it's medical? Just tossing out some suggestions...

Make sure you clean the area where she's peed with a potty training product, to mask the scent.

As for chewing, we've been working on the "leave it" command. So if Phoebe does pick up a toy or sock, I say "leave it" and she drops it immediately. Chewing on the furniture can be dealt with by getting a repellant like Bitter Apple or Nature's Miracle spray.

Good luck!!
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:16 PM

I know that some times it is submissive and I don't punnish her for that but for the most part her "accidents" are in front of me, there is the odd one that is not but it is only the last week or so, she was doing well the last 2 months
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
there is the odd one that is not but it is only the last week or so, she was doing well the last 2 months
If that's the case then it could be a bladder or urinary tract infection. I suggest a vet visit to rule this out.

The eating of strange objects is called "pica" and no one really knows why dogs do this. Keeping things out of reach, and teaching her to "Leave it" as Writing suggested may help with this.
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I second LR, take her to the vet to get any infection ruled out.

Maybe she was trained to go the the bathroom in the house? You could try taking her out once and again right after. When she does go in front of you, pick her up and say (don't yell) "no no no no no" and put her out the door and onto the grass in her potty spot.