Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Question 5 mth Saint puppy w/head tilt and off balance.

About 3 weeks ago our pup Bear was off balance and walking like he was "drunk" for lack of a better description. we thought that possibly he had pulled something in one of his back legs and watched him and within a 1/2 hour he was back to normal other than a minor limp. We thought maybe he was rough housing with our 1 year old Saint and got hurt. Fast forward to yesterday.........my grandson says "Bear is peeing" so I jump up to get some towels which of course sets off a flurry of activity with 10 dogs in the house and when I clean it up I turn to let our gang outside and Bear is leaning to the right, his head is tilted and he has very poor balance. He's leaning on me, the walls what ever he can. I immediately remember the last episode and call the vet........they did a very thorough exam and ran some blood tests (waiting for the results today) but all reflexes were good and they are at a bit of a loss. This happened around Noon and by 4pm he was back to normal and chasing and aggitating the rest of our gang like always. Vestibular syndrome stays with the dog right? Also, it's usually older dogs? Could these episodes be strokes or seizures of some sort? If anyone has some experience or info on anything this could be please let me know........thanks so very much. We just lost our 8 1/2 year old Saint (he's the one in the middle of my profile pic), Dozer on July 3rd to megaesophagus and bone cancer and can't bear the thought of losing another one of my gang. Thanks to all.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry that this is happening but whatever it is should be seen by a vet ASAP. Don't think the worst just yet.

I have nothing to add as I have never seen this before but I wish you support and good wishes.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

There are numerous things it could be but have the vet check for an ear infection or an inner ear problem
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Yes, we are working with the vet, I was just curious if anyone had something similar with one of their dogs/puppies. I'm wondering if it isn't some sort of seizure............
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear about Dozer

It does sound like Bear could be having a seizure of some sort, cb3228. Do you have a video camera? If you can catch an episode on video to show your vet it might help in diagnosis. I think you're right--vestibular syndrome tends to linger and improve with time.

I hope you figure out what's going on with your youngster soon, cb!

(And if you get a chance, we'd love to ooo and ahhhh over your furbabies if you have some pics to share! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,that's a lot of dogs,you beat "our"Hazel who has eight
I hope you find out what's wrong with bear and that it's not something serious
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Might be a nerve in his neck or back being pinched. Cuddles couldn't walk, or run, a straight line when it happened to her. I'd check out everything else but if nothing is found, do you know of a good canine chiropractor? Can recall watching a weanling thoroughbred galloping and so busy watching the weanlings coming behind her that she ran into a gate. That jinked her neck and she held her head tilted afterwards.
The most dogs I've had, chico2, was 12, so no wonder the place is feeling empty now we're down to 8. Thankfully they weren't dogs the size of Hazel's Setters.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Had another thought, cb...and yes, that's a rarity--two in one day!

But we've been battling to keep the dogs from chowing down on the mushrooms that are sprouting up everywhere due to all the rain we've been getting. Is it possible that Bear is getting into mushrooms? Some of the more nasty ones do have neurological effects...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:46 AM

I'm gonna walk our back yard and make sure there are no mushrooms because he IS a big chewer........eats everything! Thanks! I'll have to get some pics up of the rest of our gang to introduce them all.
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

If you do find mushrooms, remember to check every day. The little devils will come up overnight, every night, for a while...

Looking forward to the pictures