Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
~Cat Servent~

Just wanted to add my support and And that picture of Raggs and Smokey is adorable!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg,you are so sweet and of course we want to know,I think of you and Raggs every day,the struggles,the ups and downs..

I think most of us have had the sad experience of watching our loved pets deteriorate,until we have to make that final decision for them.

With Raggs,every day is one more day to stay with you,the family he loves and I hope there will be many more.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Don't you dare stop posting Raggs' updates!!! I may not answer each time you post a new one but I have read it. I'm sure others have too. I've shed a tear or three when he's having his bad days. I've smiled and laughed out loud during his good days when you describe him with the cats.
Having two seniors myself I know it's difficult sometimes to see them grow older and suffer. We want them with us for as long as possible. It hurts to see them struggle to get up, to go blind, lose their hearing, etc. It's doubly hard with other medical problems to go along with that.
Please keep us informed on how that hero is doing. He is a miracle pup and we all love him.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM

Thanks everyone again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Don't you dare stop posting Raggs' updates!!! .... Please keep us informed on how that hero is doing. He is a miracle pup and we all love him.
@14+ I didn't plan to stop posting updates about Raggs because I know many are following his progress. I was feeling badly for everyone here because I know what an emotional roller coaster this has been for me, one day worrying I will have to make the final decision and the next realizing he's recovering again (I am so happy this is happening but as I said it has been a roller coaster ride of emotions and I love those recovery times) I expect some of that has transferred to some of you here, when I post about his down days and I'm very sad when I'm posting.

The last week or so Raggs hasn't recovered the way he was and he's quite weak despite the fact he can get up and down the stairs to go out. He's spending the better part of his days in bed and when I go and sit beside him he lifts his head up then after a few pats he kinda falls back onto his bed. He never did this before and I'm hoping it's because he wants his full body massage, but my better sense tells me it's because he's very weak and tired. When I sit in front of the TV he even goes back to bed during his TV time for a rest and then comes back after 5 or 10 minutes. He still wants all of his treats.

Yesterday he ate two full meals but they were not spread apart by hours like they usually are, he started eating about 6pm, took a break half way through as I posted yesterday, went out, came back in and went to bed. He got up again about 8.30 pm and after going outside, ate the rest of his food from the first meal. He was obviously still hungry so I made another meal and gave it to him at 9.30pm. He ate that bit by bit over the next 2 hours. This is totally different behaviour than usual, he was wolfing down his food at each sitting before last week. He still reacts if the cats go near his bowl, but doesn't make a move to protect it or eat it, the way he used to. I think his anemia is much worse and he is bleeding on a regular basis every day or so which doesn't give him a chance to get his hemoglobin up with the liver, between bleeds as I think was happening before.

I always like to say 'where there is life there is hope' and I am very happy I've had this long with him and hope to have more He doesn't appear to be in pain. (no pain posturing or other signs like pulling away when I rub him all over ) except of course when I try to brush him which may be a learned response to previous brushing before he got here

Thanks everyone for staying with me through this very sad time, as I said you have no idea how much this has meant to me and I don't plan to stop updating.
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been following your thread and have been praying that all is well everytime I see an update.
I remember this lovely story about 1 year ago...
You are an amazingly compassionate person.
My thoughts are with you and Raggs.
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You have nothing to apologize for and we will be here to support you at all times.

I, like other members, don't always post, but I do read all your updates. It's one of the first threads I read when I log on.

Sending lots and lots of

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks BenMax and L4H and everyone else who posts to this thread or reads it. I understand those of you who don't always post and only read this thread at times because I sometimes do the same thing with others' threads unless there is something worthwhile I can add

I don't think I mentioned the fact that I made an appt for Raggs to see my vet last week when I needed a refill on his Metacam. Then I cancelled it because I thought if I put him in the car it might cause more harm than good. He has wanted to go with us every time we've had to go out this week, but so far each time I've thought it might be too much for him and might cause another bleed because he seems so weak. I know that he's able to get up the 5 stairs without a problem and that flies in the face of the weakness I see

A friend dropped over and he came out of his bed to greet her and stayed beside me since. This is a good thing I see that make me think he may be stronger than I think. I just find it hard to evaluate.

Thanks again
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh mf, I did not mean my post in a negative way. You are feeling pain. By posting it and "releasing" some of it it is probably helping you. We are here to share your pain, your joys and, in time, your sorrow. Because believe me, when the time comes we WILL feel your sorrow, and ours. I just didn't want you thinking you shouldn't be posting updates when you are feeling down. You are hurt. Sharing that hurt helps ease your pain a little and we are here for you.
And please give Raggs one of those too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad he's hanging in there, dbg! Raggs is such a lucky boy to have you to lean on!

About the Metacam--have you considered calling the vet and telling him your reservations about taking Raggs in the car? Given that he knows about Raggs, he may be willing to give you a prescription for the Metacam without an office visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
I really feel like I should apologize to everyone, when I think it is the end and he proves me wrong. Everyone has been so kind each time this has happened, I almost think I shouldn't post until I find out if he's going to recover from the episode but the support has been really important to me. The other reason is if he does happen to pass during one of these episodes as he will eventually, I would feel just as embarrassed and somehow guilty because I hadn't let everyone know that things had turned bad again.
Never feel like your posts are impositions or a bother or that you need to apologize or that you owe us a post if you really aren't up to it! We're here to listen and give you some support if you need it. There will be lots of ups and downs and we're here for the long haul to help you up the hills and support you on the other side And if there comes a time when you don't feel up to talking, that's okay, too. We'll still be here when you come back

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 4th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Oh mf, I did not mean my post in a negative way. You are feeling pain. By posting it and "releasing" some of it it is probably helping you.
Thanks 14+ I really didn't take it in a negative way, what I said probably came out that way due to my worrying over the way he has been for the last couple of days and feeling like I should apologize to everyone. I know now that it wasn't necessary, it was just all those emotions coming together with Raggs as the focus. I am not used to letting my emotions hang out the way I have in this thread and everyone has been so supportive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm glad he's hanging in there, dbg! Raggs is such a lucky boy to have you to lean on!
Thanks hazel, and everyone who has said similar things about how I've handled Raggs. It really boggles my mind because I can't imagine being any different toward him, nor any animal

I know you may remember when Pepper had her surgery in 2009 for the giant lipoma you were all there for me then as well. The difference now is that I've posted about Raggs throughout his time with me, especially since he was dx'd with cancer. I was the same with Pepper when she was alive, I just didn't share all the details with the forum because in her final days she was well until a week before I made the final decision.

Quote:
About the Metacam--have you considered calling the vet and telling him your reservations about taking Raggs in the car? Given that he knows about Raggs, he may be willing to give you a prescription for the Metacam without an office visit.
My vet gave me the metacam without question when I told her why I didn't want to bring him. She is all about the comfort of the animal and she knew that's what I was thinking of too. She insists she relates far better to animals than people and she knows I feel the same way. I've had her as a vet for 20 years, so we know each other quite well.

Quote:
Never feel like your posts are impositions or a bother or that you need to apologize or that you owe us a post if you really aren't up to it! We're here to listen and give you some support if you need it. There will be lots of ups and downs and we're here for the long haul to help you up the hills and support you on the other side And if there comes a time when you don't feel up to talking, that's okay, too. We'll still be here when you come back
Thanks hazel and all of you for the continued support. You are right some days I don't feel like posting and others I can't seem to shut up LOL

Today he stayed in bed until 8pm even though I went to sit with him after making his first meal. He sniffed it but wanted to rest and have his body massage. I couldn't wait any longer at 8 and went in with his food and gave it to him while he was in bed and sat there on the floor beside him. He lay there and ate most of it before taking a break to go out. When he came back in he finished it and then went back to bed. I will try to feed him his other meal later when I'm sitting in front of the TV but I'm certainly not going to push him into eating if he doesn't want to. I'll just keep hoping that he does so I can get more liver into him. I picked up some better vitamins and minerals than I was using they are Holistic Blend from Global and seem to have a better mix of vitamins and minerals than the ones I was using. They also have a higher dose of Iron in them.

I'll post tomorrow with an update Thanks everyone
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I should have known you'd have a great relationship with your vet! We're blessed that way, too.

Hope today went great for you and Raggs!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Still thinking of you and Raggs.

I don't post often but do check up on how things are going. I am sure quite a few people on this site have been through this and feel your pain. I know I do. for both of you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Last night he joined me in front of the TV and ate almost his entire second meal, just leaving the rice and a little broth and then demanded his treats. He was smiling away during our time in front of the TV and really seemed himself but tired. He did pout a few times when I made him wait for a treat. (guess I should explain, I give him 2 chix drumsticks broken up into small pieces and 1 beggin strip broken up into pieces and spread them over a couple of hours, so I'm not giving him a ton of treats).He wanted to go to bed early but ended up falling asleep on the floor in front of me instead of going to bed, until I was ready. I think he makes an extra effort at night because it's our special time together with the cats as well. He was still telling the cats off when they did something he didn't like.

Today he spent the majority of the day in his bed. He seemed very tired but ate about 2/3 of his food when I put it in front of him and seemed to enjoy it. His gums don't look quite as pale but he's obviously very tired and lethargic.

Tonight he had trouble going down the stairs to get outside and I'm going to try to make him use the pee pads from now on because I don't want him to fall. When he came back in, he ate the balance of the food in his bowl and then went back to his bed. I hope he's going to get up for TV time,

He seems even more lethargic today than he was yesterday and I'm hoping and praying that he holds his own, at least until Monday.
He has spent the day in bed in the past when he's had the previous bad times, but I feel he's slightly worse than before

I hope he does exactly what he did last night when I move to the TV in the next few minutes
Old March 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope he does, too, dbg

Have you tried the towel trick for taking him out? Loop a bathtowel under him when he's walking up and down the stairs and help support him from above. We've used it for dogs after joint surgery but I think it might work out for Raggs, too!

Old March 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Thank you for the updates. I check in on Raggs every day. He is a special guy and has so many here cheerleading for him (and you). I think there are several here who feel a strong connection to him.

I really wish that when I was facing Tipper's serious illnesses, I had confided here. I tend to be a private person and I really had no one but my husband to talk with, cry with. So many people thought we were crazy to spend so much money with specialists for "a dog". She wasn't "a dog", she was my little Tippy, my heart. I know now that no one here would have had negative thoughts for us and the depths of my love would have been understood and shared. My heartache not dismissed. The members of this board are so wonderful. Seeing the support you are getting with Raggs makes me proud to be a member here.

I want to second the suggestion of using a towel to help Raggs walk better to go out. I did this for my neighbor's cocker spaniel when she was in declining health and it helped her be able to eliminate easier.

Even if I don't post daily, you and Raggs are always close in my thoughts and heart. I know how bad this hurts.
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:06 AM
-

Thanks for continuing to update us.

I hope that Raggs is still doing well.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM

We had a much better day today! Yippee! When I woke up Raggs was lying in the sun in the living room and stayed there for about an hour before going back to bed. At his usual first feeding time I went in to see if he wanted to eat. He licked his lips so I gave him his first feeding and he ate at the regular time. Then he went outside and when he came in he stayed beside me as usual. He went back to bed about 2 hours later but I really think this is a better day. He is much more alert today and has been bugging me for the last hour to go sit in front of the TV. He's reacting to the cats too, yesterday he only reacted to them after he'd eaten about half his food. So I have keeping my fingers crossed that he is going to hold his own for awhile longer. YAHOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
I really wish that when I was facing Tipper's serious illnesses, I had confided here. I tend to be a private person and I really had no one but my husband to talk with, cry with. So many people thought we were crazy to spend so much money with specialists for "a dog". She wasn't "a dog", she was my little Tippy, my heart. I know now that no one here would have had negative thoughts for us and the depths of my love would have been understood and shared. My heartache not dismissed. The members of this board are so wonderful. Seeing the support you are getting with Raggs makes me proud to be a member here.
Oh can I ever relate to you. That's the same thing I did when Pepper was nearing the end. I wish I'd shared then like I have now. I did share Pepper's surgery here but then I didn't post again until after she passed.
However, this time things were different because I thought Raggs was going to pass away before the month was over and I was in shock from his diagnosis so I kept posting. I also can't believe how kind and supportive everyone in this forum are. I am proud to be a member here

Quote:
I want to second the suggestion of using a towel to help Raggs walk better to go out. I did this for my neighbor's cocker spaniel when she was in declining health and it helped her be able to eliminate easier.
We tried it last night but Raggs became so anxious, I didn't have the heart to continue. I've found if I tell him "go slowly" he walks down the stairs without a problem. The problem happens more often when my son
lets him out because he sometimes sounds irritable that he's been taken away from what he's doing to let Raggs out, and Raggs seems to want to hurry down the stairs to please him. I've talked to my son about this and he's started telling him to go slowly too.

Quote:
Even if I don't post daily, you and Raggs are always close in my thoughts and heart. I know how bad this hurts.
I know many have said they read or post almost every day and I feel bad now for thinking I needed to apologize. At least it's over now, and I know I'm not imposing on everyone here.

I'm off to watch TV with my furbabies, and will post again tomorrow
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Good boy for mommy Raggs
for many more good days...

A strange question perhaps,but when you say Raggs has a"bleed",how do you know,is there blood in his feces,or do you just judge by the color of his gums??
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is wonderful . Raggs, keep up the good work

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
A strange question perhaps,but when you say Raggs has a"bleed",how do you know,is there blood in his feces,or do you just judge by the color of his gums??
Not really that strange IMHO There has never been any blood in his stool or barf and yes, I am assuming that he has a "bleed" because of the colour of his gums and the fact I know that is what is expected to happen. But I have also noticed small areas of dark "bruising" forming on the lump on his belly, that are increasing in size, however the lump still has some pink skin, originally was all pink. There are also a few new bumps on his abdomen that have a "dark blue" center that looks to me like a bad bruise. These dark areas were disappearing after a few days but I still saw them there last night and this morning. I have thought they are blood pooling after a bleed but they could just as well be something else. When I notice them it is always after a day or two of extreme tiredness and a period of rapid breathing.

When I got up this morning he was lying in the sun and demanding to be let outside. Not sure if he's much stronger because he went spread eagled at the top of the stairs before going down the stairs but he was able to recover and get downstairs without help. He then went back to bed when he came in but he was barking at the cats this morning too which he hasn't been doing much of in the last few days. Funny how I hang onto such little things, but I guess that's normal.

Thanks for the good wishes
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Seems like he must be feeling pretty good when he starts bossing around the cats! It always brightens my mood when you post that he's been barking at them or making demands.

Glad you had such a good day! Here's to many, many more!

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM

I kept my fingers crossed all day yesterday hoping that he would continue to improve and I was rewarded He is slowly getting better but has had two episodes of trouble going down the stairs but he seems to be ok after them. Each of them has been when my son distracted him so he has lost his concentration. After the first incident Raggs seems to want to concentrate on each step as he goes down them.

Yesterday I had to take one of the cats to the vet and of course she wanted to know how Raggs was. She thinks he is improving when the blood reabsorbs after a bleed and is very glad he's starting to improve again.

He is also bossing the cats around and was mad at Smokey for climbing on my lap last night so I couldn't bend over to pat him. Hazel as you say I always know that he is feeling better when he bosses the cats around and interacts with us as he was before this all started and it does make me much happier. I just hope this lasts longer than a day or two this time, but I'll take what I can get at this point

But the wonderful news is he's eating and drinking well and seems much stronger than he was a few days ago. I can only put this down to the liver I am giving him every day and the good vibes, thoughts and prayers everyone here has been sending for us.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear the good news.
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

That is wonderful news

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Raggs,you are making us all very happy,you still have a lot of living to do
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hurrah for good days!!!! Good boy, Raggs!!! Glad to hear it, dbg!!

Old March 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
-

WOOO HOOO Raggs .....great news dbg.
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the continued support for us, he is still doing fairly well. I noticed last night that his gums are still pale but he definitely has more energy and is bossing the cats around to prove it

The only thing that I am puzzled about is he isn't eating as much as he was. I am a little worried about that, but I think he has gained weight on his home made diet and can stand to lose a little weight. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just another stage

I'm going to give him his second meal now, Thanks to all
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM

I have a very dumb question for those used to feeding home made or BARF diets. As I said he seems to be gaining weight, though he also has some new lumps as well. I am giving him about 4 cups of food a day and wonder if I've been over-feeding him. His current diet is approx 3/4 cup brown rice, 3/4 cup of ground beef or chicken, 2-3 chopped chicken livers, 1/2 cup mixture of whatever veggies I happen to have (usually spinach, yams, green beans, and/or carrots), 1tbsp ground flax seeds, 1 sardine, vitamins & minerals for his weight, uba vet and metacam. Am I giving him too much food?