Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Kong Stuffers for food sensitivities

I have been looking on line for a cheaper alternative to cottage cheese to stuff my dogs kong's with. Due to food sensitivities I cannot use anything with wheat, chicken or peanut butter. This really limits what I can use and although cottage cheese works it is costly as one small container only lasts a day or two between both of my dogs. I am also trying to avoid any meats for kong stuffing so I would prefer a vegetarian based snack. I saw online that bananas would work well so I might try that....

Does anyone have any thoughts on something more affordable?
To my mind the life of a lamb is no less precious then that of a human being....I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty by man -Mahatma Ghandi
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM

You have tons of options. I regularly stuff and freeze my dogs kongs and here a list of some items I use.

Unsweetened apple sauce
plain yogurt
fruit - blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, apple, bananas, etc.. (NO GRAPES)
veggies - peas, broccoli, carrots, canned pumpkin, sweet potato, etc....
healthy left overs - pasta, casseroles, stew..
ground beef
smelts
kibble

I pretty much will put anything into a kong (of course nothing dangerous to our pups).
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
-

With a food processor you can blend and puree just about anything. If something is too runny, use either gelatin or mashed taters as a thickening agent.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I try mixing something chunky in with a more liquidy substance (like cottage cheese or yogurt) to take up space and add to the challenge (chunks need to be big enough to not just fall out but to need a little coaxing)
so....
carrots and cottage cheese
peas with yogurt

go for cheap chunks to save on the more expensive parts

I think don't worry about our mixing flavours, doggies don't seem to care at all - i've mixed everything you can imagine together and had no issues, as long as they are foods they like separately, they are good together (I just about gagged mixing pumpkin, tuna and trippe but it was Nolies fav so far )

Someone posted this a while back - http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ght=kong+stuff - I found some great stuff on the link they gave
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Mashed potatoes is a pretty economical idea, just skip out on the butter and milk. I've done this a few times where I make some up, and then just leave it in a container in the fridge and my boys will get it for the next 2 or 3 days.
You can also add in some bananas, or apple wedges (no seeds), whatever you have lying around.

Like Otter said, don't worry about mixing up the flavours. They seem to enjoy it regardless
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Doggie Wench

Are you or, have you considered feeding meals out of Kongs? If you feed kibble, you could mix it with just about any food smooth in consistency (cottage cheese, blended veggies, mashed sweet potatoes, etc), freeze, and offer to your pup for more 'challenged' Kong chewing.

Our guys sometimes get 2-3 frozen Kongs each that last them 1+ hours.
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM

I like the idea of feeding meals out of their kongs-especially bc my pup inhales her food in one breath. This will help to slow her down and will give her something to work on while she is in her crate during the day. I also like the Bananas and mashed potatoes to help the kibble stick to something. They are pros at kong licking so they have it cleaned out quite quick. I did buy a rubber saucer like toy that screws open and you fill it between the discs but it wasn't indestructable and was chewed apart in an hour. Does anyone know of any other ones that I can buy like this online? My local pet store does not have a lot of selection. I find the kong is too time consuming to clean out.
To my mind the life of a lamb is no less precious then that of a human being....I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty by man -Mahatma Ghandi
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by katty5256 View Post
I find the kong is too time consuming to clean out.
Let soak in warm soapy water a few minutes and use a baby bottle brush to clean .
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Let soak in warm soapy water a few minutes and use a baby bottle brush to clean .
I don't have any baby bottle brushes around (maybe in a year or 2 if I'm lucky ) but I've found the handle end of a teaspoon works good at getting the left overs out of the end
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Kongs also do well in the top rack of the dishwasher.

I've also used cheese whiz as my glue in a kong - although not on an every-day basis. It doesn't have that great of a nutritional value.

For other options, you can look at treat balls that dispense whatever you fill it with as the dog rolls it around (dry food or dry treats). I've got 2 different kinds:

http://www.jbpet.com/Buster-Cube,2187.html

and one like this, but it doesn't talk
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=20240
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM

I'm a big fan of mashing up the banana and putting it in the kong with appropriate dog cookies then freezing. Or I'll add some peanut butter to the top of it. I once put leftover ground beef and rice in it as a meal for Ranger instead of a snack. Freezing really adds to the longevity of them, too. I had one in the freezer for a week and it took Ranger ages to get everything out of there.