Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Barn Cats - Not contributing to overpopulation?

I am in a somewhat heated argument with someone I respect, but seems to be a little outdated in his beliefs. I need some ammo with respect to the argument that unaltered barn cats that produce litters are still contributing to the overpopulation of cats and that it is not an "urban problem" as he claims.

Help!

He is giving away yet another litter of kittens for free and the argument was brought about by my suggestion that he not give them for free, but charge at lats twenty dollars to ward off irresponsible people.
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Every single unaltered cat is contributing toward overpopulation. It does not matter if it is a "barn cat" or a "city cat" that is allowed out. If it is unfixed it is going to be mating - constantly. With global warming it can be three times a year now.
Does he think the barn cat stays in the barn? I don't think so! They are unaltered so they wander looking for sex. A male cat can wander many many miles away from their original starting point. Along the way it mates with any and all unaltered females it can. Eventually it is going to come to a city. There's no sign at the city limits saying NO BARN CATS ALLOWED. So barn cat is no longer barn cat. He is now city cat. Still unaltered. Still doing his thang. Still contributing to the overpopulation. That is if he is lucky enough to avoid the pitfalls along the way. Coyotes, cars, bad weather, nasty people, etc. An unaltered female cat will also go a long way if there are no intact males in her area.
Even if the barn cat only goes to the next field to meet a mate that mate then has a litter of kittens. So this litter, when old enough, goes to the field further away 'cause coyotes have thinned out their choices of mates. The next litter goes further still. Those coyotes love their free meals! So the story goes......... on and on. The city comes up eventually and Oh no! City cat!!
A single, unaltered female cat can be responsible for up to 20,000 descendants, within five years. Some of them have to make it to the city!
Are these "barn cats" he is giving away? Are they going to the city or does he bother to check to see if the homes he is giving them to are "good" or not? If they are going to the city and with people who aren't paying for them chances are they will be joining the ranks of the "unaltered city cats" which goes full circle - back to him giving away kittens. Not that charging is going to guarantee the people will get their kitten fixed. The perfect solution would be if he got his cat fixed.
Does he know, not that he would care, that every litter his females produce brings them closer to dying of very painful mammary cancers or pyometra?
Sorry for the ramble/rant. This is exactly the issue that ticks me off the most. So many people want that cute, cuddly little kitten and can't be bothered to do the responsible thing and get them fixed!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup hard to believe that these dummies were the fasted sperm....any un neutered animal is just adding to the pet explosion. I have a BIL that thinks the same way. Family gatherings usually end by me calling him stupid and old fashioned.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Yup hard to believe that these dummies were the fasted sperm....any un neutered animal is just adding to the pet explosion. I have a BIL that thinks the same way. Family gatherings usually end by me calling him stupid and old fashioned.

Ummm, are we talking the dummies being the humans or the cats? It is amazing how well people can turn a blind eye to the problems around them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post

He is giving away yet another litter of kittens for free and the argument was brought about by my suggestion that he not give them for free, but charge at lats twenty dollars to ward off irresponsible people.
Tell him while he gives away a litter (let's say of 5 kittens) 5 other cats die in shelters .... just because of people like him. Who lets their cats reproduce. Shelters are full of them , and have to put them down to make room for other cats coming in .... day in and day out.

It's hard to change someone's old mentality ... they would need to spend a week working in shelters and rescues to understand.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM

I've been told to mind my own business.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
banned user

well I guess it is your business tho...saving kitties is everyone's business....don't give up....everytime you can just keep giving them the message...can't hurt!
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

He knows that it is contributing but as so many others, it is so much easier to put your head in the sand and make up an excuse. Truth is people do not want to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. That is the underlying problem.

Frenchy is so right. For every animal bought at a petshop or breeder or given away - per ratio, animals are dying. 'Lucky' animals are euthanized by humane methods while others are electicuted, gassed, shot, thrown out to starve...the list very very sadly goes on.

The man is a putz. Plain and simple. He is no better than a byb or those that neglect their obligations.

Good luck with the education, but something tells me it will go on deaf ears. Hear no evil, see no evil but you can certainly keep speaking of the evils. Best to you.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM

It is just frustrating to have your advice shut down because you are being perceived as a bleeding heart. After all is said and done, I think the right things will happen... I hope.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown. View Post
It is just frustrating to have your advice shut down because you are being perceived as a bleeding heart. After all is said and done, I think the right things will happen... I hope.
You can only do the best you can. Bleeding hearts we are called, and infact our hearts are very heavy with disappointment and despair. My heart definately bleeds for these animals as I am sure so many here on pets. So yay - I am a bleeding heart as well. And thank dawg I am as you are as well. Be proud!
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I can't even step on an ant without a large amount of guilt... I'm glad there are others out there who are like me!
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ummmm, did he go to school? If so did he pass math? How can having litters of kittens NOT contribute to the pet overpopulation . Tell him that 5+5,000,000 = 5,000,005 see added to the pet overpopulation by 5.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
owned by Tucker

in one way at least he was giving them away, they might have a chance.. hate to tell you this but some farmers drowned the litter or when their farm comes over populated they shoot the catswhat to do... I have two barn cats, guess mine were just lucky to get me and yep they were free.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover View Post
.. hate to tell you this but some farmers drowned the litter or when their farm comes over populated they shoot the catswhat to do...
I grew up on a small farm in the 50's and 60's and I know that in that era the drowning of kittens and puppies was an all too common and accepted method of population control. In those days, some people probably didn't know there was a better way. The only veterinarians around specialized in livestock. I don't think I even knew what spaying and neutering was until I was pretty much grown up.

If it is still happening today (and I fear that it is all too often), it is inexcusable. As you say, what can you do? If there are laws against it today, how can they be enforced?
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 16th, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Kitty pimp

well in this day and age its just stupid to manage any live stock that way 1 it cost more money cuase they dont live as long or arent as healthy
2 its compeltly irresponsible can i go to his house and give him some mice for free ? how bout if i go around offering what he is producing for free? is tis a farm od something ir ust an idiot with a barn?