Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

cat on the counter

This is a minor problem, not even a problem really, more of an annoyance. My boy cat Angus persists on jumping up on the kitchen counter when I'm trying to prepare food, or do dishes etc..., I realize he likes to be close to me, cause when I walk away from the counter he jumps and follows me. My technique thus far has been to firmly say DOWN (I don't use his name when I'm "disciplining" him), and then I crouch on the floor and clap my hands or snap my fingers, sometimes I have to do it several times before he'll get down, but he always responds and jumps down to me. I give him lots of pets and scratches and talk to him when he does this. This would be perfect, except when I continue doing whatever it is I'm doing on the counter he immediately jumps up again. This morning while making breakfast we went through the up and down at least 7 times, until I was finished and went to the livingroom and he came with me. I fear that he's associated jumping up on the counter and then jumping down with getting affection, because he's so responsive to getting down when I tell him. He's not starved for attention or anything, he gets lots of snuggle time. Does anyone have any suggestions for other techniques to make him STAY OFF the counter after I've got him down?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Try double-sided tape for a few days. Cats usually don't like things sticking to their feet. It's cheap and it's easy to use as well.

If you think your cat's associating up and down with affection, withhold it for a minute or so before you pay attention to him.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

yes, double sided tape is great... also, I'm a big fan of the water bottle. Sorry, but my cats get wet if they go on my counters. (I have enough cat hair in my house, I don't need it in my food also.) keep one on your counter, as soon as kitty jumps up, kitty gets WET. Obvisouly, this only works well if your cats don't particularly LIKE water.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I will try both of those, the double sided tape may pose a prob, because he only wants up there when I'm using the counter. I can't have double sided tape there when I'm cutting veggies or stuffing a turkey

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Long Term Member

I also recommed the water...
Its an easy method and lets your cat know you DON'T want him or her on the counter.
Good luck
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM

My apologies to all animal groomers out here, but I am also a fan of the water. A very loud and sharp NO, GET DOWN also works when water isn't available, but its not as good... If I only use the NO, the cats will likely keep trying...
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM

My cat I got from the shelter was used to jumping up on the table when we were eating. That's a definite no no in my book so I got out the water bottle. Now whenever he sees the water bottle he doesn't jump up. I have to admit he loves to jump on the counter top too but I'm such a softie I don't get out the water bottle too often then. I just turn on the tap to let it drip and let him play with the water. If that doesn't work I just keep putting him down, or last resort pull out the water bottle again.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Around my house it is Absolutely unacceptable for the cats to be on tables counters and so on. Mr.Floyd was trying to push me a few years ago , the water worked great, also if we were far away and saw him up there a loud clap and firm NO would deter him!
I know they go up there when im not home, (sneaky buggers) but atleast we have an understanding when i am around!