Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Senior Contributor

what is the meaning of your pets name???

well we have so many strange names flying around here (from tron to bob) it would be really interesting to find out what they mean to you. well i started the thread so i am going first .
Charlie is my ladies name. most people assume she is a boy (growl) and i get odd looks when people meet her (she is the only girl charlie i know)..
she is charlie because- there once was a kids cartoon movie called all dogs go to heaven. the lead character was a boy GSD looking thing (but tan with white chest) and he was the hero of the movie, in the end of the movie he saves all the cats and dogs for death. i knew then that would be a name for me one day. years and moons later, i met a poor neglected pup who was GSDX and tan with a white chest. i rescued her from the pigs that had her and i knew who she was straight away, it was my charlie, yay. and we live happily ever after loving each other to bits, we are the happiest gals i know. now your turn...
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Fur Children's name

Dynamyte - a 5 1/2 pound poodle, 14 years old and is named because she is all heart and guts. Small package and a loud bang.

Jazzy - The huge hound of the Baskervilles A rescue from a home when the people moved out and left a parvo infected puppy in the front yard. My wife named her because she liked the name and the dog has the most expressive eyes and face of any dog we have ever had.

BO - A white German Shepherd named by my wife after her husband (ME).

Mr. Pye - A Siamese Cat. My wife liked the story Bell, Book and Candle. The star cat was Pywacket.

Charlie - A Siamese Cat rescued from a busy highway where someone had dumped two kittens. Charlie is into everything and very investigative thus he is named after "Charlie Chan" the great detective.

Ching - A Siamese Cat rescued by my wife. Ching is a strange kitty who loves dogs and is never happier than when smoozing with a dog - any dog.
She keeps the house in harmony.
She is named after the balancing half of "Ching" and Chang or Ying and Yang.
Woody
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Rocky...named after the boxer in the movie,he came from a farm,great big paws and strong legs.
Chico...my son named him,because he had the colour of chicory.
Vinnie..after Winston Churchill Industrial Park where he was found.
Nothing overly imaginative
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Good topic Mel

Sadie was named after a Cree Indian Midwife that delivered my mother (her story of it).....

I called her Sadie after jumbling the letters of all our previous dogs names together!

Ironically we both came up with the same name w/o knowing what the other thought!
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

You guys have much better imaginations than I do. I'm lousy at naming pets..some never even GOT a name.

I came up with "Chloe" on the way home from picking her up, cause I just wanted a cute girlie name to make people less afraid of her, and it does sometimes work!

Also the name she came with did not appeal to me - "Rhonda"!
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Rhonda what an awful name for a dog...I can just hear it,Here Rhonda,come here now!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Tron was named after the video game "Tron"..Brother named him..

And Yukon(way before the truck..lol),was named after,ummmmmmmm,well,uhhhhhhh....OK I'll just spit it out.....Potatoes...Yes,Yukon Gold.......

Casper was named after Casper the cartoon.Considering he is all white..LOL...I thought of that name as I was in the bathroom at Timmys....

Winnie,well she went from Cocao,to Amber then finally Kyra came up with Winnie...She LOVES Winnie the Pooh....And there was NO way I was letting Kyra name her Pooh....LOL

My previous GSD of 13 years was named Cujo after the movie....But he was no Cujo....
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I was much more imaginative with my rats.

Daisy Mae Needlenose, Ashley Peebody (named for his moistness), Greta Garbo and Alvis the Great.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Nadia, my Himilayan, came first. Well, being a Himi, she needed a snooty name to match her snooty persona (albeit, she is anything but snooty and a total cuddlebum) but she does have certain air (or should I say hair - oh God the hair - it's spring) about her...

Oliver, my Shiba, came next. Well, he had to have a name that could stand up next to "Nadia", so Sir Oliver it was. Since he was named right off, his breeder even had his papers coincide with his call name and she registered him as "Sunojo's Ironsides" (Ironsides was a nickname for Sir Oliver Cromwell). Now this is one dog that suits his name - bold, fearless, and a pain in the butt to those who oppose him. I will check to make sure he doesn't have any coups planned and that my head will remain firmly attached to my body...

Michelle
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Chocolate

AWWWWWWWWW, Melanie, that was my first video that I got from my mommy when we came to ka-na-da

mona - Tron lmao!

cmt, u fanny

Choco-well, Chocolate- I named him that bc... I love Chocolate teehee, ok, and he's got a Chocolate head? and he's coloured chocolate... pretty simple.

oh, and I love chocolate

Honey --> ask Luba
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Bob's my oldest brother. Good guy. Very loyal. Doesn't say a whole lot. Would do anything for me, and I'd do the same for him. Used to get into quite a bit of trouble. We used to hang around all the time when I was a little kid.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

well i must say that i think rhonda (but would she be more helpful, help me rhonda, help, help me rohonda)would have been too weird and she would have bitten you if you didnt change it, there is a guy up the road with a dog named Andrew, i think that is such a strange name for a dog.
my mum had a cat called horse and a dog called dog (from New zealand cartoon, foot root flats). sounded really stupid when she called them at night, she would cry 'horse, dog'..
i one had mice, janice and jimmy.
chooks were called - white chook, brown chook, matilda, gertrude and henny penny (miss them sooo much, sigh, but hubby promises me a huge flock by the end of next year, he better or else.....my beautiful white chook (bantum) lives down the road now on a farm and hopefully we will be again together some day. she can sing and loves dogs, she cuddles up to them. and she will follow me all day and we sing together) i tease charlie and say in a high voice' here took took took took' (imagine what the neighbours think)and she comes running with a big smile
what a mix, potato dogs, chocolate dogs, pee on yourself rats,
my favorite (not really, too hard to choose but if i need one it is)- mr pye, that is pretty cute and imaginative
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Honey = first thing that came to my mind when I saw her behind the bars at the shelter!

The name just flew outta my mouth and it stuck, she responded to it and seemed to like it...now there's Honey and Chocolate LMAO and they're both rescued from the same pound. haha! Go figure
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:20 PM
no, I am not a chick!

I'm into mountain biking, and Kona is a Brand of Mountain bikes from B.C.
They actually have a model in their line up called the Dawg so it fits well.

I had never really thought of using Kona as a name until when I was looking for a dog of my own (parents have an american cocker (Daisy) and a Brittany(Rocky)
I new I wanted a rescue/shelter dog and I was looking for a Lab Border collie X
(Basically a Border collie with webbed feet)

I finally found one at the Ottawa Humane society and her name was Kona, I instantly fell in love with her picture, went there the next day to fill out the forms and adopt her. She had been adopted out the previous night

My coworker saw me constanly on the net at work searching for a dog by this point and led me to the sister of his dog. An old guy who lives a few doors from my buddies parents up in Quebec had her, and could no longer take care of her for health reasons(he was in the hospital for cancer) My buddies dad made sure she had food and water, but knew this couldn't go on for ever, and arranged for me to pick her up.

In a few more years I will get Kona a Border collie buddy, and I'm thinking of naming him Trek (another bike company)
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara was named after my favorite perfume. She has other names as well, like the "uber goober dawg", or "goobs" for short. She also answers to "McGoofus", she aquired this name as a puppy, goofy is as goofy does.

One of my long time dear friends, which I am trying to get here to this board, has a Scottie named "Duncan". Duncan is 1 year older than Ciara and they are pals....I was the one who neutered Duncan and on that day I dubbed him "Duncan-NoNuts". The name stuck.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Duncan-NoNuts
Hahaha!
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Senior Contributor

poor duncan, lol karin are you a vet or vet nurse?? just wondering , hopefully you are not an australian farmer doing the old gum boot trick(yuck)
ps i once saw a woman bite the testicals of a sheep, used to be quite common here with farmers (they use rings now) poor sheepys, but now is only done for show, ooooow grose
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM

okay...

Ceide (my sweet little Tibetan Terrier) was called that when she arrived in our home during autumn (fall)... I collected her and instead of going straight into the house she jumped into my dad's mercedes... so my mum called her cede - though when the Kennel Club got their hands her papers she became In May's Memory (the name her breeders got her) and Ceide with an i...

Holly... (our little white maltese) I brought her home (without warning) to my parents one week before christmas, they fell for her straight away and we spent hours going through names and calling them to her to see if they suited her when she started pulling decorations off the Christmas Tree everyone just said Holly and so thats what she became... my sister has now added vallance (as in the blanket on your bed) onto the end of it cause thats what my sister thinks she looks like... personally I think she looks like Elizabeth Taylor!

Taz.. (newest addition Tibetan Terrier) he came with that name though he doesn't seem to know it for a 2 1/2yr old which is strange... so maybe that could be changed.... though when you say Taz the Tibetan Terriorist it kind of has a ring to it!

Ali is my tortoise she is 8 yrs old and came from Africa... so Ali Baba came to mind...

Ossie Oscar is my fish he is about as big as Holly now and we've had him almost as long as we have had Ali and has about as much personality as the other kids (pets) do his breed of fish is called Oscar so thats what stuck...

We also had Fred and Flo the dolphin nosed fish, Sam and Ella oh can't remember the name of the breed of fish they were and Rod and Todd... (RIP)

We had Liz and Rex the Chameleons (liz as in Lizard and Rex as in T Rex)

oh and I had a tarantula and I called him cuddles - well he was furry!!!

yes at one point our house was kind of like a zoo! (awh the good old days *thinks about expanding the family again*)
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Chocolate

wow!

mizzlittle, post some pictures, PLEASE
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Look at these names and lists WOW!
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow - totally coolio!!! Waggie, where did you live before Canada?? Here's my menagerie list:

Spunky - was a hyper lil **** when I got her, tried carrying her home in a box but she kept jumping out of the box like a fish out of water! AKA Spunkaroo.

Tux - my good friend Lucie named him when he showed up on her doorstep. She couldn't keep him so I took him in so he didnt' have to go to the pound. He is black and white, so the Tuxedo part fit him. He is also affectionately known around the house as ****head, tuxaroni macaroni, tuxJesus, etc. etc.

Brick - wanted a one syllable word so when Tim and I were driving home from the pound, waiting to pick him up the next day, we rambled off a whole bunch. We were talking about how muscular he is all over even though he was so scrawny - and I said, "Yeah he is built like a brick ****house" - hence the name Brick! Many people say its cuz he's thick like a brick, but he's not..he is a very smart boy - too smart for his own good some days!!

Sonic - my students in Gr. 2 last year named him after the play station character
Silent Bob - the movie character that Kevin Smith plays (Jay and Silent Bob movies)
Annie - she is an ANOLE (ann -ole -ee), so she got Annie and her brother (RIP) was named Ollie.
George - George the gecko just sounded cool
Kaimah - in an African dialect, means tiny one and she is the smallest of the 2 snails
Kamau - in an African dialect, means silent warrior and he is the biggest of the 2
Dave - named before I met him, but I think it had something to do with dope
Jenn & Jane - named before I met them
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that is a family and a half, is there any food left for you at the end of the day??
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeppers!!! There's always lots of crickets to eat before the lizards get them!! LOL I love it though!!! Always something to watch or do!! Our newest entertainment is watching the snails DEVOUR watermelon in seconds!! Its great fun!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Chocolate

omg, HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

i NEVER imagined snails could do something fast

i LOVED playing w snails when i was a child... my brother and i would pick them from the garden and "race" them on the sandbox in our garden

k, Catt... lol, I'm born and raised ( till approx age 7 ) in Poland. how'd u figure i wasnt "canadian"?
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Talking

I dont have particuarly good reasons for my babies names.

tazz came from the rspca called charlie but he is so fast we called him tazzer after the tazmanian devil...

Kasha was named because i spent 6 weeks waiting for her to be old enough to leave her mum and being an expectant mum myslef made lists and searched high and low for a name for her and that is the one that stuck...

mustard the hamster because she is mustard color...a bit obious i know.

And bob the rabbit - just seemed to fit

My little neice who cant speak properly yet calls him 'bob the babbit'
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:40 AM

This is Ceide... she is 8 or 9mths old in this picture
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:43 AM

and this is my Holly (Vallance/Berry)

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww cute!!!

Waggie, you mentioned something about a movie your mom gave you when you first came to Canada - I just put 2 and 2 together!!! I'm so very observant!!! LOL

I'm trying to get a "watermelon" eating snail pic so will have that to post soon I hope - they are snoozing right now though!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwww Mizzlittle they are soooo cute,it must be kind of wild in your household,those little guys are energetic
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:07 AM

oh its fun and games when you come home from work and you get jumped on by the lot all looking for belly rubs and find where the treat is (I hide treats in one of my pockets or my bag and whichever one of them finds it gets it) I'll post pics of Taz and the gang later