Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Oleander

Does anyone have any thoughts on Oleander? I just bought a small tree and planted it today. I know it can be poisonous, but they are so pretty and so easy to take care of. Does anyone know if animals are drawn to it? I love it, but I'm a bit worried about it because some neighbors allow their cats to roam free. I don't have any problems with Jesse because she doesn't eat plants. I don't want to harm any animals, but at the same time I don't want to not have my garden the way I want it because of irresponsible neighbors.
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
<-----nut ball

Oleander is pretty. I like it, but because it's semi-tropical, to grow it hear we have to store it indoors in the winter while it's dormant.

It is poisonous, but I wouldn't worry since it grows wild all over florida.

What colour do you have?

I grow a plant in the same family here. It's called plumeria. If I lived where you are I would have SOOOOO MANY of them!! It is a little toxic, but not as much. It also smells SOOOO good.
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We got a red one. I like it too because it's semi-tropical and super easy to take care of. It's one of those plants that loves full sun and you just plant it and leave it. It's great. I also planted a bunch of petunia seeds all around it.

As for plumeria, that's my next garden splurge. We are going to be putting a deck in the back next month and after that's done, I plan on "decorating" it with plumeria and maybe some jasmine.

In the front we planted a bunch of birds of paradise, tea plants, and hibiscus. I also have a big tea olive. It's kind of like Jasmine, but it gives off this sweet smell of apricots. It's so nice. I have it by the front door. We love tropical plants and the whole tropical scene. I just killed all the weeds in the yard and will be putting more grass seed down in two weeks. We have a tiki bar and lots of fun stuff like that. I think it's a very relaxing and serene scene when it all comes together. I'll put up pictures once we get everything done. I can't wait to get the plumeria. Jim knows it's next on the garden list. I just keep creating more work for us, but it's fun work.

Last edited by jesse's mommy; March 12th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
<-----nut ball

just a tip on the plumeria. It's so abundant in Florida that in the spring, many people who have full size trees (and they do grow large if you let them) will do pruning, and throw out all their cut peices in the garbage. MOst plumerias are grown from cuttings, and they don't have to be fresh either! I had cuttings shipped to me, and didn't plant them for 3 months and they were fine still.

So go for a drive early saturday mornings and see what people throw out. Also keep an eye our for public parks/gardens, as they tend to throw out a lot of peices you could easily take and grow with.

Also, if you are driving around and see a nice plumeria on someone's property, doesn't hurt to drop by and ask for a cutting! I know a lot of people who do this.
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

If I get lucky enough to find some trimmings would you like me to send some to you?
Old March 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
<-----nut ball

Nice thought, but Canada Customs would confiscate them. They need a "phyto-certificate" which costs about $50 US. I already have 8 plants right now, which is enough for me until I own a house. I got 4 from cuttings (there is a guy who ships a bunch up and sells them in TOronto at the Canadian national Exhibition in September), and the other 4 I grew from seeds. At least seeds I can get without a problem here!