Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 19th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Kitty Mum

Help w/ fundraising ideas?

Hey! I was wondering if anyone here had any fundraising ideas? I want to try to raise money for an animal in need. He is a blind and epileptic dog. Recently he fell down a flight of stairs he has been up and down a thousand times. He broke one leg and basically shattered the other (broke in four places). He has to lie down for 6 mons in order to heal properly, as right now his legs are just casted. Well, last night his casts, literally, fell off his shattered leg.He really needs to have his legs plated in order for them to set right, but the money just is not there. This dog is part of an animal rescue I adopted one of my cats from, he is not my dog.The fact that the woman who runs the shelter even took the time to pay for the 1500.00 surgery, is amazing. Most would take the easy way out and put an animal down. I could post the ad that was recently in the newspaper here in Ottawa, regarding Ami (the Lab)... The plate surgery costs 5000.00, so far the rescue has raised 1000.00, but after Ami's cast fell off last night - he really needs the plate surgery. I would really love to help him get this surgery. I just need a little help with ideas on how to get money raised....any help/ideas? I have never done anything like this before!
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

wheels are moving

I told a friend about Ami's story. She had had an epi dog too and I knew this would get her attention. She has contacted Kelli and I believe my friend is working on more media coverage now.

They have found a vet that will do the surgery for $2000 down payment and a payment plan afterwards.

So the wheels are starting to turn on this one too.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Kitty Mum

I heard that as well! I was so excited that Ami is getting the much needed surgery. I still would like to come up with some ideas for fundraising....see if I could help at all.... They have 2000.00 so far, which is wonderful! But he still needs to have his surgery paid off...3000.00 more to go. The rescue is incredible and she does the most amazing things. Like I said earlier, she could have taken the easy route and put him down (this is not in her nature). She will do everything to get her animals the care they deserve. Yet, we all know how costly it is to run a rescue/shelter and she needs a little TLC from those who can help out there. I would really love to get something going. Even if I could do something through my work. Just looking for ideas...I have never planned my own fundraising before.

I am so glad your friend is looking into helping even more so. The Citizen covered the story, which was just so incredible. But that is only 1 days paper... it would be nice to see a little more.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Kitty Consort

Hmm.. well, heres a few fund raising methods.. dont know how feasible any of these might might be

- Garage sale ( indoor) Ask neighbours, family and coworkers for articles for this worthwhile cause, get a few people to help.
-Raffle or silent auction of some type. Could contact local pet stores, groomers and vet clincs and ask for their assistance in contributing any items that could be used to raise funds.
-Bottle drive. Get a group to bring info on the dog's condition, and just go door to door. Lots of petlover out there..
-Car wash is a bit out of season,'speciallly in the east How about a few volunteers to shovel walkways, or something like that?

Good luck with this!
Bless all the people committed to helping this dog in need regain his health and mobility.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Raffle is a good idea if you can get some good prizes. We raffled a stained glass hanging for a fundraiser for my brother's Akita and raised over $1400.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Kitty Mum

Wow! Those were really great ideas! I will have to remember those for next time I am looking to help out!

The reason I say next time is because........Ami got his surgery!!!!! The clinic decided to let the Westminster put 2000.00 down and pay off the rest as they go. Ami needed the surgery and they could not turn away the urgency Another chunk of great news came this morning... they raised all of the money to cover the complete costs of his surgery and after care! People just kept donating....!

Is that not the best news ever? I am so excited! lol.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM

Excellent news. People are very generous when they need arises.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow great news, poor baby blind and epileptic, How old is she?
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:25 PM

I know the person who did the original press release on Ami - but the Citizen went a lot further and drove out to the sanctuary to take wonderful pictures and do a two-page spread. That is the best way to raise funds - there are some very generous people in the Ottawa area who always rise to the occasion. It was excellent publicity for a place that not many people are aware existed (including myself until recently). Kelli took the 4-yr old blind epileptic dog when another sanctuary was forced to close. Sounds like Ami has received wonderful care and it is only because of selfless people like Keli and who will go to any lengths to save a life....
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Cases like this really illustrate the power of the press. Look at the response to the tsunami coverage. Wish the media would focus on these issues instead of the negative ones like BSL! Think about what could be accomplished if the focus was on improving and uplifting instead of exploiting and suppressing. Think about how people could be educated about spaying/neutering, animal welfare and rights. Kudos to responsible journalism!
Old January 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Kitty Consort

That is wonderful news! How heartwarmingl to know that the generosity and kindess of people enabled this surgery to take place.
I send best wishes for Ami's full recovery form this procedure.
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM

SUCCESS SUCCESS FOR "MON AMI" the Epi LAB

Just wanted everyone to know......Kelli and the Westminster Pet Sancutary have been successful at raising the funds needed for Mon AMi the Lab's broken leg surgeries...the plate surgery was done on Friday January 21 2005.....now all that is needed is his post operative care...and physio.....

Many Thanks & Big Blessings on ALL who helped in this worthy cause....

Bless You ALL !!!!!

AMY