Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 17th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Question Where do you buy trees?

I'm thinking of getting a small birch tree from in back so there is something blocking my view of the neighbor's balcony, but I can't find one. We tried nursaries, but they have maple and bushy trees.
Do I have to go somewhere more specialized?
When do you plant a tree? Does it matter?
How can you tell if you're getting a good one?

Anybody ever bought a tree before?

(sorry for the 20 questions, but I want to research before committing to a tree)
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The best place to go Prin is a Kramer nursery. There is on on Don Quichotte in Ile Perrot but I know there are others on the island. Their prices are very good.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Early spring is best for planting, May no later then the beginning of June if you want to establish a good root system.
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I own a woodlot so I have never bought a tree in my life!! Spring is a good time to buy one tho summer is not bad but not as good. Get a good sturdy one - I like birch and maple myself.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM

LOL do I have to fill out an adoption application?

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, it'll give me a shot at being successful at this. I love birch trees. They are by far my favorite. I have a HUGE and I mean HUGE maple tree in the front, and I just find that birches won't get as wide. They grow up, not out.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Everyone knows you buy a tree at the tree store. Sorry just something my kids say like you buy a dog at a dog store, and a baby at a baby store.

We have two trees. I am not a tree expert but i have heard when you water them do it very slowly for about an hour so the water soaks slowly into the roots.

We bought two trees at Art Knapps and one at a nursery that didn't do vrey well, I think it was because the tree was in a fairy shady area and our yard gets a lot of sun so I think it was too much of a shock to come to our yard.
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Helicopter Champion

White and yellow birch trees are pioneer species (these are the trees that are generally the first to start growing in an area that has been affected by some action such as harvesting, fire, wind damage, etc) that can be found alongside most highways. For a common species such as a birch, I would take a drive outside the city along a side road with a piece of burlap and a shovel in the trunk and find a little birch that you like and dig it up (just not on private land!!) and take it home.

Early spring or mid-autumn are generally the best time to plant trees; however, with some care you can plant in the heat of summer and still have a tree that survives.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
owned by Tucker

I own 16 acres of trees, so I have never bought any. If I don't have a type I want to plant I see what my friends have on their property.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:42 PM

But how do you get all the roots up? You don't damage them?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:49 PM
owned by Tucker

You have to dig past the drip line of the tree(which is past where the outer brances are), that means you could be digging up a large hole, I normally only dig up small trees.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
-

If you want a tree that is going to block the neighbours, seek out one that grows quickly. There are some that grow very, very slowly. My son is growing a chesnut from seed. It looks like it is going to be a good looking tree.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
-

I heard somewhere that whatever growth is above ground, there is just as much underground.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM

But I can't have a tree that drops stuff because Boo will eat it. I love birch trees too. So even if in the end it really doesn't serve my purpose, I want one. Maybe I'll get one with multiple stumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover
You have to dig past the drip line of the tree(which is past where the outer brances are), that means you could be digging up a large hole, I normally only dig up small trees.
What does that mean? Does it mean that where the branches start is a good estimate of the distance they go downward?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM

Hey- Anybody know how to get rid of a huge stump? I have one in the yard that is almost a meter in diameter. We were going to just drill holes in it and let nature decompose it but that could take a while...
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Gawd! I had a stump on my lawn that ended up getting rid of by having the municipal trucks help me literally drag it out of the ground. That meant a large hole in my lawn! I wish you luck!! That is not easy!!! We tried everything before we called the city dept - we knew someone there and they were happy to help but it was an arduous process.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Our "neighbours" (don't like dogs) have 2 birch trees and they do have "droppings" - my dog is forever grabbing at the stuff. Yet he is not interested in Maple tree leaves - just the darned bark.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM

What kind of droppings? Branches and stuff? Branches are ok, but fruity things and things with shells, not so ok.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
owned by Tucker

I believe they drop their seed casings kind of like pussy willows, and they give off lots of seeds. The ones we have at work are terrible for bugs too if you sit under them.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM

EEK!! That would make me reconsider.. I don't like bugs.

But Maples grow so huge. Now I don't know anymore!!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

You can control the size tho - with a little of your own silviculture. I have to do it on a larger scale on my woodlot - or else I'd end up with dead trees and other probs - but you can prune the tree, help it to grow the way you want. You're a biologist- should be eay for you! Recall your botony courses!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:07 PM

I didn't take any botany classes-- just a small bit of plant physiology... I'm useless with plants.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
owned by Tucker

What about a japanesse (spell?) maple they can be quite lovely and are smaller.

Last edited by doggy lover; July 22nd, 2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I got away with just one botony class too.

I still think a birch or Maple tress would be nice. Just look after it and it'll be fine!