Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

major problems with Animal Care Centre, (may disturb some)

I have found out some pretty disturbing information about our local Animal Care Centre. The current contract is currently under review and unfortunately,
it looks like they will maintain their hold on this city-funded job for another 5 years due to the way said contract has been prepared by some pretty smooth lawyers. The only thing that looks as if it might change is some financial stuff, and nothing about the actual welfare of the animals.

In fact, nowhere throughout the entire contract, is the welfare of animals mentioned at all! Just money money money......

I have learned the following, in no certain order:

1) there is no onsite veterinarian;
2) there are no volunteers allowed to work with the animals;
3) there are no dog runs; dogs left to wallow in their own excrement, until staff clean it up;
4) no foster/rescue group working in conjunction with ACC;
5) rumour has it that healthy pets are sold to hospital for research for $$ (this being looked into by member of review committee)
6) healthy animals put to sleep after few days of incarceration;
7) if animal arrives injured/sick after hours, animal taken out of town to emerg. clinic at the cost of taxpayers;
8) using heart puncture method of euthanasia, (this may have changed due to pressure from public;
9) city and ACC split the cost of liscencing fees and none of the $$ made goes toward animal welfare.

That,my friends, is likely just the tip of the iceburg. I have submitted my personal experience to the committee and they are urging anyone with similar disheartening experiences to do the same, as the big public meeting is on Tues. Aug. 9th(?). We are once again going to fill City Hall with pissed off public and see if we can somehow at least get the finances flowing to where they belong: the animals

Has anyone ever looked into the goings on of the ACC in there area? Just wondering if ours is the most pathetic non caring supposedly animal friendly place on earth, or if there are others......

Last edited by lezzpezz; July 15th, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add something