Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Saying Hello and hoping to get some advice on a problem we are having

Hello everyone,I am new to this site and not sure how it all works.I have grown up around many animals of all types.Currently I have 3 dogs and 3 puppies that we adopted and took in when their owners did not want them.The 3 puppies are what's left out of our dog Rebels litter.We got her when she was half way into her pregnancy.Ofcourse we believe in spay/nuetering,and can not stress that enough.I get over involved with my dogs as if they where my own children and i will do with out if I have to,just to make sure they have what they need.I can not turn my head on a stray,of any kind and it is a costly thing.I have been through everything from parvo to rabies with the dogs I have taken in.The one thing I have not had to deal with is seizures in dogs.Thats one reason that brought me here.One of the puppies is having what I believe to be seizures.I made her plan to make her an appt. to our vet Monday.The first time I noticed anything like this was when she was about 5 weeks old.But it was just with her back legs and a little bit of shaking and lasted about a minute.So I kept good watch on her and nothing ever happened,that I knew of.Until today,I was bringing the puppies in this evening to go to bed and she was in the kitchen on floor and I noticed she was odd looking.Her front paws stretched out in front of her stiff with her claws flexed out and her hind legs was stiff as well with her right hind leg drawn up to her stomach stiff.Her head was stretched out and stiff as well,biting so hard on her jaws.Her pupils covered her entire eyes.She did not lose control of her bowel or urine and this lasted for about 3 minutes.She felt warm after it and she just trembled durring it,not jerking.I am guess she is having some kind of seizure,but from what is unknown to me.Wen I took the mother in I took the father as well and they seem to be ok.Like I said I hope to get her into the vet tomorrow if not, then soon.But if anyone has any info then please share.She is 3 months and a mix of redbone coon hound/curr & weimeraner/american bulldog.I believe that is what she is.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

There should be an emergency vet clinic open? This is really young for a puppy to be having seizures and could indicate something is seriously wrong. Please don't wait.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
There should be an emergency vet clinic open? This is really young for a puppy to be having seizures and could indicate something is seriously wrong. Please don't wait.
Thank You..I started getting worried after I posted,so I called our vet and had my husband meet him at the office.You know you have a good vet when he or she does it for the love of the animal and not the money.We usually do not keep the animals we take in,we adopt them out after vet checks and all.But this puppy, Cinnamon,fell in love with my daughter as my daughter did with her.So I hope she will be fine.Reading up on this type of thing,has many things that could be causing the seizures.I think breeding should be illegal unless a license is there.And the license should be very costly.Well again thank you.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know what the vet says. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
-

Hi Shannon77;breeding should be iilegal witouth a license;right on sister!!Good luck with the pup,keep us updated please.