Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 13th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Urinary tract infections (UTI) in Dogs - Answered by Dr. Guindon

Hi there!
I was wondering if anyone knows of a holistic approach to prevention of UTI's in dogs? Like cranberry juice for humans? Blue just recently was on antibiotics for a UTI and has been free of illness for about 2 weeks, and then today we saw her straining again, and she just had an accident in the house...sure signs something is up again...
My dog, Blue, seems to be more prone to UTI's than other dogs we've had...she's on Nature's Variety dog food, has anyone else had trouble with this brand of food?
Blue is an adoreable smooth coat border collie x terrier...we love her and it's not nice seeing her in discomfort...
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:38 AM

better take her back to the vet might be something else not UTI if the antibiotics didn't work. Is she spayed? My vet told me about a problem (can't remember what it is called) with UTI if it kept coming back she would have to be spayed. I'll try to find out what it is called.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM

sorry couldn't find the name but it had to do with crystals forming, i did find one site that had herbal remedies it mentioned cranberry tablets and lots of water, but it also cautioned to talk to your vet FIRST. It was more of a preventative than a cure. Hope this helps
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely go back to your vet. Also please do not starting administering cranberry pills until you know if urine is acidic - if urine is acidic the cranberry will make condition worse.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

You have to know that 3/4 of cystitis cases (bladder inflammation) are due to colds caught by the animal.

Only 20% of cystitis are due to infection or crystals.
-Your dog wants to stay longer outside, it is normal in this lively period of the year, but protect him from extra long periods in cold and humid surroundings.
So cranberry acidifies the urine to help dissolve crystals but has no effect on cold defense.
- At stores, were they sell natural products, you will find homeopatic complexes that relieve this inflammation of the bladder.
-You can order at the drugstore a homeopatic formula called CYSTIVET made by Boiron or Homeodel.

You can give 3 granules 4 times a day to the dog even 2-3 days after he is OK.

Good luck

Paul Guindon DVM
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, Qc
514-334-7280