Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Angry "Snob Park"

Ohhh man, what a joke this place is (not THIS place, but the park!!!)

We recently moved from an area where we were close to 5 different off leash parks along the river to a place where there are none - well with the exception of Snob Park! It is a fenced in field with a few trees but not much else. Big culture shock for Brick!!

I went yesterday morning to walk Brick and there were a bunch of dogs there and I got really excited cuz I knew he would have some friends to play with. Well, we got closer, and the dogs all came over and sniffed and played for a bit, then the owners started calling their dogs back, and walking the other way. I called Brick and he came to me, and we started walking. The other dogs weren't listening to their owners so they followed us, so I stopped to let the owners get control of their dogs. They came over and were talking amongst themselves (there were about 5 or 6 adults there, and about 8 or 9 dogs), didn't say a WORD to me!!! I tried several times to start up a conversation with several of the people and they IGNORED me!!! I couldn't believe it!!! The one guy was throwing the Kong for Brick, and so I thought maybe he'd talk to me...nope!!! It was an EXCLUSIVE little dog walking clique!!! OMG, I nearly crapped my pants!!! NEVER EVER EVER have I ever seen such UNFRIENDLY dog owners!! :sad:

I went again today, and the SAME group of people were there. I watched them as we pulled up and got out of the car, and they started WALKING THE OTHER WAY!!!! I nearly died, I felt so crappy!!! So Brick and I stayed in the other end of the field and played ball, but he didn't get to play with the other dogs....that is so unfair!!! He has NEVER been mean to the other dogs, or started a fight, it makes NO sense.....except for the fact that they are SNOBS and don't like newcomers to their field!! I felt so unwanted and so unwelcome, it was horrible!!

Tim took Brick there on Monday night and he met a couple people there, that were semi-friendly. Brick was playing with his ball, Tim made a comment to the guy that Brick likes his ball more than playing with other dogs, and the guy said "Then he should go play with his ball".....WTF??? How rude!!!!! We think it's one of the same guys that were there the last 2 days.

ARGHHH!! I'm sooo mad!!! How rude and how harmful to Brick's self esteem (not to mention mine!! ) LOL Anyways, just needed to vent!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Oh cat31, , I feel so horrible for you and Brick, but I know exactly how you feel, the same thing happened to me (well almost, it was with my son though).
We went to a local play centre for the first time, and all the other mothers completely ignored me and my son, I tried a few times to start a conversation, and they continued to ignore me. The worst thing was one of the kids (they were all aged between 2 and 4) got a box of Timbits from his mom, and gave them to everyone else except my son, and when my son asked to have one the kid said "no way" and the mother did nothing!!
We left, with our heads hung low, I felt so horrible for my son.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Look at it this way, people like that aren't worth knowing! Their loss, not yours! Hard to explain that to Brick though! :sad:
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Senior Contributor

poor you guys!!
Catt31--poor Brick, that's soo strange usually dog owners are soo nice, I guess not all.... There's cliques everywhere I guess...
Happycats : When I hear things like this, I just want to curl my babies up in my arms and shut out the whole world!!! God!! That's sooo mean!! Kids can be such little %^$^ers sometimes!! And when you see the parents you no longer ask why, right?

mean mean mean mean people!!! ugh!!

thank god we have this site, right guys?
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM
AmInaL

We don't have a dog park around here, so our usual spot is the beach, we uasually go in the evenings, when the swimmers have gone home (summertime of course). Well last summer, we would go, and usually meet the same 3 or 4 other dog owners, it was really nice, our dogs would play and swim, and we would chat. One day there was a family that we didn't recognize, they had a cute little dog on a leash. Toby went over to make friends, and the man that had the dog was soooo rude. He pretty much told us that we were ignorant for not keeping our dog on a leash. We called Toby and clipped him on his leash, until the people left. I was so upset that someone could be so rude, and his poor dog was just DYING to run and play with Toby.

I was worried that he would phone someone about us being there, as technically it's not a dog park. It is a public place though, and there are no signs saying no dogs, so I doubt there is anything they can do. People like this ruin it for responsible loving owners with well socialized animals!

We never saw them again, just the regulars after that, but are more than happy to see new people come out to play....it's all part of the fun of being pet owners! I think you need to find a new hang out with Brick, these guys are morons!
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Momof4and6furries

oh my gosh! unbelieveable - I'm so sorry for you. We have an off leash park here and it's so cool when you go because you stop and chat with people that you would never probably chat with other wise - I mean we're in our 40's - pretty conservative middle class with kids yada yada but think nothing of chatting with young guys with body piercings and tattoos and assorted other 'cultural' differences. And you know what?? They're great people!
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Every other dog park we've gone to in Calgary have been FULL of friendly people, overly friendly people, which is awesome!! This park, for some reason is full of snobs!! Even just to say good morning to them was like I told them I killed their parents..the reaction I got was similar!!! Weird!!!! Freaks!!!! LOL Grrrr!!! I will find a new place to go, or I will drive back to our old stomping grounds so Brick has nice dogs to play with!!!

You're right glassy.....I don't want to know people like that who aren't friendly with other dog owners!! Hmphhh!!!! Toxic people are bad for the soul!!!!

happycats!! Kids CAN be sooo mean...trust me I work with them every day!!! It amazes me that some parents don't do anything about it. If I EVER talked like that to anyone as a kid, my Mom woulda washed my mouth out with soap & I would be grounded for a week!!! Meanies!! But, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...once you see the parents, it makes TOTAL sense why the kids are the way they are!!!!

Meowzart - where in Alberta are you???

I took Brick back to Snob Park last night about supper time, and it was a different group of people.....most were fairly friendly, but a couple just went on their way without even a nod!!! I got a better vibe from them, guess it's just the "morning" crowd!!! Which is fine, cuz I'm not usually off like this (it was Teachers convention), except in the summer!! But in the summer, we'll be at the river anyways!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Just ignore them. I have the same thing at the dog park that I drive over an hour to just to go. Its in Oakville. People there totally ignore me and I just sit at a picnic table. They follow your dogs around and tell you when they look like they are going to poop. I can watch my own dog and know when he is going to go thank you lol. One yelled at me because Ozzy almost mistaked her for a tree. Well when you stand in the middle of a park and dont acknowledge the dog by your side he may in fact pee on you because you have the look and personality of a tree. Needless to say, I try to strike up a convo, but they just view me as nothing and a kid and walk away. Burlington is better, although very tight in their ways, there is a few that belong to a group. They are still talkative and many many people go there. Good luck with your doggy park search. I am sure there are snob free parks somewhere, or at least a park where the snobs are the minority not the majority
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Momof4and6furries

hi - i'm in red deer.
no offense to anyone - but is the snob park in an upper class area?? just curious.
Old February 19th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

LOL, no the northeast is not a rich area..maybe it's those Coral Springs people...NO offence!!..some of them think they're rich ..I thought the south-end of the city were classed a little more "snobby". Too funny that any ONE area is classed in any way. Red Deer, love it, we camp all the time at Sandy Cove at Pine Lake, drive in to Red Deer for Timmies!
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

If those people want to be that snobby, they are not worth knowing. Is there anywhere else you can walk Brick?

As for the child, I work with children every day (almost!) and it's rare for a child to be that rude. (Even when they are really sick!) His mother must have been one nasty person to have a child like that. (Not that I blaming the mother here - the dad has to take some responsibility) but at that age, it is the parent's responsibility to instill manners in his-her child. Why have a play time if they refuse to play? That makes no sense. If I were you, I'd find out about other parents and start your own group.

That said, sometimes the best child can do something completely out of character but with the mom right there, you have an indication this child was quite content to make that comment. Gawd!
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I stopped going to that play group, (that was my first and last time!)
I didn't want my son to pick up any of those bad manners!!
Thats OK he will be starting Micro soccer in the spring, and hopefully we'll have a better experience !!
As for me, I think I have found a wonderful bunch of people right here !!!!
Thank you all !

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old February 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

awwww

backatcha, sweetie!!! (Thirsty??.................

I know what you mean!! This site is my sanity many a day!! With littles at home and hubby working evenings....this place is my decompress/relax /chat with friends place!!
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Me to twinmommy (hubby works evenings) .
I get a glass of white wine and come here, some days it's my only salvation!

I just sat down to come here and wind down, very busy day, son's 4th birthday, had about 20 people over, they just left!
So now it's my time to come here and relax and chat ( to bad my son isn't winding down now, must be all that chocolate cake!)

Who's doing popcorn?

Old February 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I get a glass of white wine and come here, some days it's my only salvation!

That's it??? Just the vino??? Mind you, not that we really need anything else!!!, but I have been known to take a whole bunch of "munchies" and pile myself in here with snacks!! Gawd!! I'll never lose this baby weight!! LOL

glad the party went well!! I can't wait for those!!
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Hey Twinmommy, (sorry fell asleep posting)
Munchies, no way I come here to keep myself out of the fridge !! I am still trying to lose the baby weight,and mine just turned 4!! (by the way he is still spinning, don't think he's gonna stop any time soon!!)

Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt31
Ohhh man, what a joke this place is (not THIS place, but the park!!!)

We recently moved from an area where we were close to 5 different off leash parks along the river to a place where there are none - well with the exception of Snob Park! It is a fenced in field with a few trees but not much else. Big culture shock for Brick!!

I went yesterday morning to walk Brick and there were a bunch of dogs there and I got really excited cuz I knew he would have some friends to play with. Well, we got closer, and the dogs all came over and sniffed and played for a bit, then the owners started calling their dogs back, and walking the other way. I called Brick and he came to me, and we started walking. The other dogs weren't listening to their owners so they followed us, so I stopped to let the owners get control of their dogs. They came over and were talking amongst themselves (there were about 5 or 6 adults there, and about 8 or 9 dogs), didn't say a WORD to me!!! I tried several times to start up a conversation with several of the people and they IGNORED me!!! I couldn't believe it!!! The one guy was throwing the Kong for Brick, and so I thought maybe he'd talk to me...nope!!! It was an EXCLUSIVE little dog walking clique!!! OMG, I nearly crapped my pants!!! NEVER EVER EVER have I ever seen such UNFRIENDLY dog owners!! :sad:

I went again today, and the SAME group of people were there. I watched them as we pulled up and got out of the car, and they started WALKING THE OTHER WAY!!!! I nearly died, I felt so crappy!!! So Brick and I stayed in the other end of the field and played ball, but he didn't get to play with the other dogs....that is so unfair!!! He has NEVER been mean to the other dogs, or started a fight, it makes NO sense.....except for the fact that they are SNOBS and don't like newcomers to their field!! I felt so unwanted and so unwelcome, it was horrible!!

Tim took Brick there on Monday night and he met a couple people there, that were semi-friendly. Brick was playing with his ball, Tim made a comment to the guy that Brick likes his ball more than playing with other dogs, and the guy said "Then he should go play with his ball".....WTF??? How rude!!!!! We think it's one of the same guys that were there the last 2 days.

ARGHHH!! I'm sooo mad!!! How rude and how harmful to Brick's self esteem (not to mention mine!! ) LOL Anyways, just needed to vent!!!
Ah yes, not much has changed there! Belle and I used to got there, now only when its really really cold out. We go for a quick 15min run and head for home. We dont have a membership to this prestigous dog walking club either! Its the same people everyday. We now drive 10mins to Nose Hill park on Saturdays, its huge!! Not alot of dogs though, about 6-10 on a good day, but its so big you hardly run into them, good place to bring a ball though and the people are great! Its Southland Park on Sundays, lots more dogs for Belle to meet. (and see her boyfriend!) When its stays lighter out later in the day (spring summer) we will probably go after supper for a bit during week days, we can all meet up and start our own group!!!!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Kitty Consort

How sad that some people are so rude and thoughtless! Its disheartening, really, the way people can act.
I've encountered similiar, but luckily not too often.
One couple with three tiny dogs appeared to deliberately go "the other way" when they saw me approaching in a park. When they saw I was also going that way,and now was behind them, they picked up the pace. I thought they might break into a run at any moment. I was flabbergasted I wondered if I should call out to them.. "Hey! I'm walking my dog.. not stalking you! Couldnt figure out why they wrere acting so weird - felt really insulted though. :sad:

And Happycats - shame on that mother for allowing her son to exclude yours. Unless she didnt know... that is just inexcusable.

I also find dog people generally so friendly, its great to chat with people from all walks off life. Before I had Percy, I walked an hour every single day after work but was petless and alone. People would smile, nod, but rarely spoke to me I always used to see the "dog groups" chatting.
Then I got a fantastic idea... why dont I get animal companion of my very own?
Once I adopted my little guy from the SPCA... what a difference! It's one of the great things about our outings that I look forward to now.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

This wasn't a dog park but I had capone on a leash in a hydro like field (never off leash) this lady had a little white dog and as soon as she saw me just started frantically started running to her dog screaming cocoa cocoa as if the dog was just about to be hit by a car. Now get this. The dog was in their backyard behind a FENCE. And still my dog was a threat to her. The husband was peering out the sliding door as his wife frantically saved their dog from my pit that didnt even notice the damn thing untill the lady started screaming. TO TOP IT ALL OFF. Capone got all excited, Im on ice. I fall. Bruised my butt and got up looked at this lady and gave her the worse look. I would say it was a god your stupid look. This is the same lady that scoops her dog up when Im about 5 KM down the road and not even planning to cross her path. I know a little off topic but i just had to throw that in somewhere. She also gives me bad looks. I swear next time shes getting a mouthful. Shamrock, Atleast I knew why this lady was acting the way she was I am not sure though why two people with three dogs would start to pick up pace in a bid to rid themselves of a stranger. How funny would have been for you to flail your arms in the air and run full throttle towards them. Ha... I can see it now.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Love all creatures

This is one of the reasons I hate dog parks..lol but I won't start on that...

I used to take messina to one of the offleash parks we have nearby when she was smaller..than stopped taking her as she began to mature..for safety reasons for my dog and other dogs..but anywho..the people there were such Azzholes...it was unbelievable..I remember coming home twice and crying...this one old granny came up to me and told me that pitbulls don't belong in dog parks (which I agreed, but Messina was still a youngun heh), and that they shouldn't be around PUBLIC at all...that they shouldn't exist..basically telling me my dog's breed should be wiped out because SHE didn't like them..and the worst part was that she claimed to have worked in an animal shelter nearby..I nearly crapped myself silly...

I had a few other similar incidents...where my dog was also attacked by other people's dogs..and so on..the people were terrible..there were only about 4 or 5 that I really got along with compared to the 80 or so that were members of the park...it was sick..so I stopped going...now I just find parks useless...lol and I'm a much happier individual since I stopped going...
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you if I go to an offleash it is usually with another dog so Buddy can play because my mastiff is also a dog that according to the oh so wise people at the park that is vicious and will attack other dogs. Yeah right. Buddy will run away from a dog who growls or tries to be aggressive with him. These are the people who have no control over there dogs and I guess figure everyone has poorly trained dogs like theres. I do take him to High Park but we mostly just walk the trails and he can get in a bit of running and some of the other big dogs owners also prefer the trails so he does get to play with some dogs.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM

Catt31 where exactly is Snob Park...it sounds familiar to an experience I had!!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, I'm sooo glad it wasn't just me Sarah.....LOL...I thought they hated ME and not my dog!!! LMAO!!!

Gazoo, Snob Park is on the corner of McKnight and 68th St. NE, it's fenced off for land development, but people use it for now as an offleash area. It's in Falconridge area, across from an Esso and Coral Springs plaza.

Well Sarah, I think you, me and Heinz57 should meet at Snob Park and start our "own" exclusive members only club!!! LOL

I too like going to Nose HIll and Southland, and in the summer, we'll spend most of our time at Southland because of the river!!

If Brick didn't LOVE to run so much, I would have given up on dog parks after this!!

BUT......... Badger Park is wicked - it is off of 32nd Ave. and 68th St. Take 32nd until the road stops (goes into residential) but people park on the road there, and walk in (it looks like a service road of some sort), you can see trees and a bluff area about 500 yards away, and someone has spray painted "Badger Park" on a big sign. It is part of a farmers field and he allows people to walk their dogs there amongst the trees - it was a really nice walk actually, and closer than Snob Park!

Maybe we should meet there on Sat. (I can't Sunday, but Sat. would be good!!) What do ya think???? Any takers??

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM

Saturday works for us! Anytime is good aswell. Let me know what will work best!!
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

oh my darlin chick. everone hates me and charlie too, it has always been so, they either think she is some psychotic killer or that perhaps were not jsut good enough. we have been going to the same spot for 2yrs and not one dog has ever played with her, so dont worry i know how you feel. now you say their dogs ignored them, so they must not be trained to well and i know brick is. so what i would do is ignore them, go to the centre of the park so they can all see, and do a bit of training and showing off, it always makes me feel better. i often get her to drop and stay while i prance around her stepping over her head and such, then we do some cute tricks and i gush all over her and tell her she is great. it feels good as their dogs are crap at listening nad charlie looks so smart, and them and their dogs so dumb. and hey, i dont wnat my dog playing with redneck or yuppie or arogant peoples dogs anyway, they would not be a good influence on baby brick or his mamma
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhh Mel, you're a hoot!!! I've missed you!! You always can make me laugh!!!! Good idea about showing off with tricks and stuff!!! We do the come, sit, stay stuff, and I feel soooo proud of my boy cuz he listens sooo well!!!! I will try his other tricks!!! We're learning the treat on nose trick, not going so well!! More funny to watch than anything!!! He does know how to give me a high five!!!! VERY different than from shake!!!

Sarah, how does 10 am work for you? Do you need better directions to Badger Park or do you kinda know where I'm talking about??

Heinz57....if your van is fixed, you should come too!!!! Would love to meet Einstein & Keyto!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Saturday works for me, I think I can find it! (Hopefully), 10:00am it is, see you and Brick there and hopefully Heinz57!