Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:19 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

Ok then, everyone thinks that homeless people deserve their pets. Fair enough. . . . . . . .

here is another question to ponder:

1. If as a community of pet lovers - what can we do for these dogs??

Obviously as Prin suggested, a health & s/n program would be ideal - but perhaps too big of an undertaking for one person.

What can each of us do in our own neigbourhoods??

I guess the easiest thing would be food/water. . . what is everyone else's ideas/suggestions.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
and thanks JDG for posting this thread that yielded these great stories.
after a few days of playing badcop this was a great thread to read.
Thanks Marko. . . .

. . . .You deserve a vaction! Good job with the site, even if you don't get told everyday - we all appreciate what you do.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

For me personally, the bottom line is the following:
Is the dog loved? Is it fed? Is it given water? Is it handled with compassion?

There are so many people living in beautiful homes who treat their dogs abominably that I don't think owning a home really matters.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Dr. B. became the only vet around to treat any pet of the homeless, always in exchange for light work & he always fed them too. Not one of these people denied to work, but always did the chores eagerly. They need to feel a purpose too. I learned alot from that vet, not just about animal care but human care also.
What a great idea! I wonder how many vets and rescues could implement this work idea. . . . everyone wins in this situation!
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
For me personally, the bottom line is the following:
Is the dog loved? Is it fed? Is it given water? Is it handled with compassion?

There are so many people living in beautiful homes who treat their dogs abominably that I don't think owning a home really matters.
Yes. Thats true, but as I said earlier - should we liken pet ownership to having children (most of us call our pets our children anyways :love: )

There are basic needs you HAVE to provide your children with, why should pets be any different?? Food, Water, Shelter, Medical attention, stiumulation and of course love!

I guess this question becomes - if you can provide most of the basic needs is that enough? Or should all parents, of fur or skin babies have to be able to provide ALL the basic needs???

That being said - there are plenty of people who shouldn't be parents!!
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG
That being said - there are plenty of people who shouldn't be parents!!
Agreed.

If a program gets going to help homeless people care for their pets then count me in to be of some service. I'm not sure in what capacity but would be more than happy to help out.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Ok then, everyone thinks that homeless people deserve their pets. Fair enough. . . . . . . .

here is another question to ponder:

1. If as a community of pet lovers - what can we do for these dogs??

Obviously as Prin suggested, a health & s/n program would be ideal - but perhaps too big of an undertaking for one person.

What can each of us do in our own neigbourhoods??

I guess the easiest thing would be food/water. . . what is everyone else's ideas/suggestions.
Yes I think food and water is probably the easiest solution, and THAT is something that I am going to do today. Most of us probably have cars - and if not we surely have napsacks. I will be buying a big bag (or small tins) of food today and when I see a homeless person with a dog I will offer them some pet food (probably with a coin or 2 )

If anyone does start this type of program it would be my pleasure to help publicize it on www.pets.ca

Thanks again!
Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

What if flyers were put up around the areas that homeless people with pets have been spotted? Then maybe a certain day of the week, someone could be available for a few hours to hand out food for the pets? Some leash donations, etc.. Kind of like the food kitchens ie. Benedict Labre House in Montreal?
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I think thats a brillant idea. . .I just think it might be hard to get something up and off the ground. When you think of all the other areas of charity and public funding - we are such a small sect, and probably would be put to the bottom of the pile, so to speak. . . we pet lovers need to band together and fend for ourselves!

I think this is a matter of what each of us can do in our own neighbourhoods. . .

I have some of those Purina 30 day challenge coupons worth upto $10 off a bag of food. I thought perhaps I would give those to the group that live at Berri Uqam. . . .
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM

ohhhhhhh! Had an idea!

Lucky Rescue, need your input on this one. How about having a drive in conjunction with Adoption days??? Perhaps we can donate the food etc to a rescue, say Lucky Rescue , and the flyers that BMD suggested are put up in areas where we know homeless people with dogs are, then they get to the adoption day for the donated food & supplies etc. . . .
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

The Bond Fondation is working with Dans La Rue "Popps" to get their animals sterlized with up to date vacination. Their are also veternairns who donate their time to help these animals through Dans la Rue.I believe they also give out food to these kids for their animals.
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk
The Bond Fondation is working with Dans La Rue "Popps" to get their animals sterlized with up to date vacination. Their are also veternairns who donate their time to help these animals through Dans la Rue.I believe they also give out food to these kids for their animals.
Where is the Bond Foundation? Quebec? or is it a National organisation?

Sounds like a worthy cause! How would one go about donating or offering to volunteer??

Can you post some details Poodletalk?
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Being as how I am so far away it is not practical for me to donate food but whoever will be chief in charge of donations send me a snail mail address and I'll send a check to go towards the cause.

I donate to the local Humane Society here and they never turn down anyone homeless and in need of pet food. They maintain a special "pantry" for this purpose alone.

Sometimes the local area vets hold clinics, donating their time and materials for minor problems. Unfortunately these clinics are far & few between.

Maybe some local vets can do the same in Canada?
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

The Bond Fondation is runned by the sweetest and nicest lady possible, Dorothy Bond. She helps to pay for spaying and neutering animals at no kill facility. I believe she pays 75% and the group pays 25%. She is helping out 6 groups in Quebec. Besides this, she also helps Dans La Rue to encourage street kids to get their animals vacinated and sterilized. She also helps out independent rescuers by giving them a reduced rate on sterilization and first vacinations. She also is willing to help out indiviuals who have animals but cannot afford to spay or neuter them, by giving them a reduced rate.

It would be great if you would like to volunteer, she's always looking for people to help her. Her website is: www.bondspayneuter.com Her group is right in Montreal...if anyone is interested in helping her you can always give her a call.
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Thanks poodletalk,

I've copied this from the website:

How You Can Help

There are many ways in which you can help to reduce animal suffering caused by over-population:

¨ Veterinarians Needed

We require more veterinarians to participate in our Spay/Canada program. Please speak to the veterinarians you know and stress the need for their contribution to their community or call us at the number below and we will call your veterinarian.

¨ Promote Spaying/Neutering
Speak to your friends and neighbors and explain the importance of sterilizing their pets. Fixed animals fight, spray and stray less. They are more content. Fewer strays mean a cleaner healthier environment for pets and people.

¨ Become a Volunteer
If you have a few extra hours each month, there is a tremendous need for volunteers to help care for abandoned animals. Shelters are desperate for dog-walkers, cat huggers, office help and cage cleaners. If you wish to volunteer, give us a call and we will direct you to a nearby “no-kill” animal care center that will value your contribution.

¨ Make a Donation!

Donations Needed -- We receive some regular funding, but it is limited, and the need for our service is great. Therefore, we must solicit additional financial aid from the public. When you donate $15 or more, a tax receipt will be provided. Please help us to reduce the number of suffering, unwanted animals! All your donation will be applied directly to helping animals.

Leave a Legacy -- Legacies are gifts you can make to The Bond Foundation for Animal Welfare in your will. They may be in the form of stocks, bonds, money, physical property or objects of value. We use legacies to make sound investments in the Foundation’s name to provide regular income that will help animals for years to come. The next time you look at your will or have it updated, please think of all the animals you can help.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM
banned user

What a wonderful story Karin! Big "thank you" to Dr. B!
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, another inspiriing story, thanks Karin.
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

I knew a homeless person with a Golden.

She got fed some cheap, low quality dog food maybe once a week-but she was beautiful, friendly, and did not look malnourished at all.

Love plays a big part in a dog's life. If you don't love them, they will die soon.

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Wooops, I just realised I missed this whole page! You guys have some great ideas! I think the Toronto Humane Society has "ffod banks" for pets. Im not sure if its easily accessible for the homeless folks, but at least they are trying something and I believe there are cat rescues here or around TO that spay and nueter "homeless cats" Personally I try and donate food for the pets as I go, but something more organized is a great idea for Toronto as well!

Last edited by babyrocky1; July 14th, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG
Good point about the muzzle for pit/pit crosses. . . as a side note: what is a leash? is there a definition of a lead/leash??

I've seen homeless people using a bit of rope. . .is that good enough for the law?
Yes there is a definiton of a leash, Im lousy at getting links but all of the specifics are under the pit bull coop. The whole law is there and in other places but I think your just asking about the homeless people so, that is another concern, they will need an appropriate leash, I think its around six feet, I need to check it myself but I just dont want to give it that much attention til I have to. Maybe a Pet Store would like to donate some of these things for some good media attention but, then again, its probably too controversial for most of them :sad:
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:28 PM

I agree! What a great thread, full of great stories and ideas! Karin, there's a vet I know of in Calgary who has done the same for people who can't afford treatment for their animals. I wish more vet's cared about the health of the animals, rather than the money!

Prin, I chuckled at this:
Quote:
That's why, even though I know that vets don't get paid that much, I wish some would group together and offer services to these doggies.
My hubby volunteered for a vet clinic, and the holistic vet made over $80,000 a year! This was 5 years ago, so she probably makes more now. Sounds about right because a one hour consultation with her for my oldest dog cost me $200.00!!! Maybe they don't make a lot in Que., but here they make a killing, and I've only heard of one willing to offer their services to someone's pet that needed it without taking money. He just asked the girl to work it off at the clinic!

The idea you presented wasn't funny though. It was a great idea! How awesome would it be if we could get like hearted vets together to donate services other than just s/n. Not that that doesn't help a lot, it's just that dogs need more medical care than that.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:52 PM

I agree. If of all the hundreds of vets per province (I mean there are vets on almost every corner in Montreal), there was 5 who could donate services, that would make a huge difference. It doesn't make sense that dogs who are inside all day have to be vaccinated without a doubt and those who are living out with rats and garbage can be overlooked. In my ideal world, we'd have pet medicare... And I'm not shy to pay extra taxes for it.

The vets I know, though, don't make too much money here. Supposedly the French are not as willing to pay for procedures as the English are, as historically, the French were not as wealthy and had huge families-- not much money was left over for pets.
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Performance Spaniels

This thread is awesome and makes me a little teary eyed. It's awesome though how caring everyone here is.

I've never actually seen a homeless person with a pet even in TO, but maybe that makes me sheltered. I did see one years back in my hometown, but never really thought about it.

I would so pack doggie biscuits and maybe stock up on food samples for ease of giving away if I did see homeless people with dogs.

Everyone's suggestions and stories are heartwarming. :love:
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Being in a really small town, we honestly don't have any 'street' people. We have some shelters for battered women and troubled teens but no true homeless. Living off a main interstate, and having a railroad station, we do have transients during the summer months. They will sit on a corner for little while with a sign asking for a ride or money, whatever and then move on. I don't stop very often, but if they have a dog I will definitely stop. If I see that the dog has water, I'll give them money. If the dog doesn't have water, I still give them the money but when I give it to them I always ask them to feed the dog too. In most cases, I'd bet that I didn't really need to tell them to feed the dog. If I was all alone in the world, I would definitely give everything I had to keep a dog. I'd bet those dogs are alot more loved than a lot of pets who do have homes. I know that the vets in my area donate their services for strays that animal control picks up, but I don't know if they'd give transients services in return for work done or not. It sounds like a good cause and sorely needed in too many places.
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Kitty Consort

A fantastic thread! How completely heartwarming these stories are.. and how equally heartwarming to see how members here are so caring, and ofering ideas to assist. Kudos to you for that!

The issue of homelessness is a very disturbing and real issue in all major cities. More needs to be done, and I find it laughable that here in my city, the answer was to lock the dumpsters (so as not to offend the tourists with the mess created) and make illegal to approach anyone stopped to offer window washing, etc or to panhandle. ( wonder how they expect them to pay the fines?) Remove all sources of revenue while offering nothing in it' s place

When society shuns you, an animal welcomes you with love and comfort.
I think the unquestioning devotion of a dog would be appreciated by homeless people in a way that others simply could not grasp.

However, the fact that a person is homeless does not "guarantee" that they are a loving and able pet caretaker - any more than any one "group" in society. They may be or may not be, but the lack of a home "does" equate into it - in some instances ( imo).
Its a sad reality that a percentage of the homeless have mental health problems, and/or substance abuse issues. This certainly doesnt negate their right to have a dog in any way.. but it "might" hinder their abilty to provide proper care in SOME cases.
If judgement/ reasoning are severely affected, the person suffers. And if they have animals... they may too. Untreated, they may become progressively more ill, less able to care for themselves, much less a pet. And for the homeless the dangers pose more risk by far.

Another troubling aspect for "this" segment of the homeless is that they are often in out of various rehab facilties and psychiatric hospitals - even jail. (petty crimes can be borne out of desperation) These are not always planned (or optional) stays.

What happens to their dog? Are they impounded?
How tragic this would be for both :sad:

Here, food banks have dog and cat food available, and the local SPCA's also will provide food for anyone who is unable to buy it.

A highly publicized case last year involved a woman who was living in a car whose dog was seized.
I believe there were other factors, but it raises the question - can a car be fairly considered a home?

Last edited by Shamrock; July 15th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Florida has a large population of homeless people. The climate is warm and we are basically at the "end of the road" so to speak. I have seen entire familys living out of their cars, including children & pets. Just about every city has a shelter & Salvation Army...but there is still not enough to go around.

A stunning fact, almost 40% of the people in the US are only one paycheck away from poverty. This does not count the ones who are already homeless.
Many cities try to evict the homeless, one was Key West. Recently, when hurricane Dennis was threatening the island with high winds & a storm surge of over 20 feet'...some good hearted soul (don't know who) bused the homeless out of harms way.
I hear many good stories about the homeless, very rarely do we hear any horror stories that concern crime, that they commit. But last month there was a terrible crime 2 counties over from me, 3 teenage boys beat to death a homeless man because they were bored. They are going to be tried as adults.

Homeless people are not ogres. They are p e o p l e. They have feelings.
Some are on the street by choice, most are just down on their luck.

We have many programs in place here to help but it never seems to be enough.

Helping them should become contagious.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Karin, that story about the vet you worked for in Texas brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story!

And btw - I forget who it was asked what we would do about the dogs - homeless ppl also are great cat owners too, we need to be inclusive.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to share a story about a homeless man I met at the weekly Farmers' Market. Dogs are not allowed at Farmers' Market but no one ever objects when I carry Den-Den in his Bjorn baby carrier (like a backpack you wear in front - I've posted a pix previously in the bikeriding thread). He didn't have a dog, but he commented on Den-Den and started a conversation. He must have been 70 or 75, maybe even 80, hard to tell, very clean, small & wiry, French? Anyhow we got into a lively conversation about dogs which he said he loved. This man was very articulate and seemed well-traveled. He had made his living previously in the Merchant Marines. He admired my half gloves that my Mom knit for me (wonderful for biking) and said he'd like to find a pair in orange to match his socks. He had other colors. Anyhow, I told my Mom about him and she knit an orange pair for him which I took back to Farmers' Market the following weekend. All the vendors know him. Every week he helps the vendors set up and tear down again, in exchange for a couple dollars. Evidently, he lives under the outside stairwell of the nearby church. The church members tried to set him up in an apartment but he wouldn't have any of it. So they allow him to stay on the property and he picks up trash, pulls weeds, etc. When I finally found him again, he was so pleased with the orange half-gloves. He was just thrilled that someone had knit them for him. He's homeless by choice. He's already old, but quite spry. I wonder what he'll do if his health declines. That was about 4 years ago and I haven't run into him again since.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

CK, I saw a elderly, homeless woman in San Francisco. She was pushing a shopping cart with her possessions in it. When I walked past her cart, I saw 2 adult cats inside with a bag of catfood in the corner. They were contentedly curled up together in the middle of a blanket. At the time, my astonishment was all about how content they were to be pushed on the busy street, like in a baby carriage. My Puss-Puss would have freaked out. She didn't even like being carried off our property in my arms. Now I kinda wish I had given her some money, but at the time, I wasn't prepared and we just had passed each other going opposite ways in the crosswalk.
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
Oh Karin, that story about the vet you worked for in Texas brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story!

And btw - I forget who it was asked what we would do about the dogs - homeless ppl also are great cat owners too, we need to be inclusive.
Umm, just to clarify, I worked for DR. B. in Brevard county..on the east coast of Florida. He had a heart the size of "Texas"..(actually bigger!)

I use to go back for visits but it has been a long while. Dr. B. died in the late 80's from complications of diabetes. The clinic still operates the same way as it did way back when..Dr. B.'s associate bought the practice, Gloria, Dr.B.'s daughter went to U of Fl. vet school and joined the practice her father started.
I may have mentioned Dr. B. before here. He's the vet that was once a MD, he gave up a very lucrative career to work with animals for less.
When he hired me..no experience whatso ever, I inquired why?
He said " I would rather dodge sharp little mouths than listen to them."

*note..Dr. H. who bought the practice is the vet who had anal gland material shoot & hit him in the back of his throat*

You may go back to your dinners now....