Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old April 15th, 2016, 05:43 PM

searching for natural treatments for Kidney failure

Hello everyone,

my old cat, Vavavou, has kidney failure.

I am looking for whatever i can do to support him.

We are about to switch his food to homemade food, following the recipe given in Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats.

His idexx indicate CREA 376 UMOL/L PHOSPHORE 2,82 MMOL/L.

If anyone could point me to other ways i can help him out, i'm willing to try homeopathy as well.

Thank you!
Marie
Old April 16th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Hi Marie!
I really applaud your efforts to do the best healthiest things you can for your cat Vavavou (love the name!).
If you are looking for an alternative to conventional methodologies I highly recommend seeing a holistic/integrative veterinarian. They can bring everything together in terms of a balanced treatment. I went online and found, at the website for the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies: www.animomedicveterinaire.com .
Of course Dr. Pitcairn's book is an excellent resource! Remember, when making cat food recipes, that with kidney failure, cats are having trouble dealing with protein.
Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 16th, 2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: No promotion, pls
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:48 PM

Hello emcee:
welcome to the forum.
It's been a few years since I've had to deal with kidney failure, but here are a few web sites that I found very handy for information. You might already have it if you have been doing any research, but in case you don't, here it is.

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_treatments_index.htm

here's one from Dr. Lisa Pierson's - a little information on protein that could be of value. I know when I was dealing with the issue that I was working with, the vet I had at the time had issues with the prescription diets and the lack of protein.

There seems to be a lot of controversy over protein. As Soos suggests, get hold of an integrative vet who is knowledgeable in feline nutrition and especially for CRF. Make sure you feel comfortable working with the person. That means a lot.

http://www.catinfo.org/#Kidney_Failure

hopefully if you haven't come across this info, it will be of value.
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:22 PM

Thank you very much for your infos and support

i would really much like to have a holistic/integrative veterinarian - but i am in the Laurentides area of Quebec, and after research i could not find one.

Unless someone here can point me to one...

Otherwise, i find it really difficult to have to do all the research on my own, i'd rather have a knowledgable holistic/integrative veterinarian to help me out!
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM

hello emcee:
I know where you're coming from as far as location is concerned. We have the same problem living where we are. If I was in your position, I would be trying to find an integrative vet that I could work with long distance - preferably over the telephone to some degree. There seems to be things lost using a computer.
Maybe with luck, one of our members in your area has had some good experience with a vet and can recommend one that you can contact and set up a long distance conference in order to establish diets.
I've included a web site that has a good list of homeopathic doctors in Canada and elsewhere. One I could recommend would be Walden Animal Clinic - Dr Rod Jouppi - in Lively, Ontario, outside Sudbury. It has been years since I had him for a vet, but I found him excellent.
I would make sure that I have the recent blood/urine work reports that could be submitted if requested by the vet. The other thing you might do is just send emails to some of the vet's offices and ask questions - whether they would look after your problem long distance. We did this with a vet in Quebec outside Sherbrooke, but she has since moved and is no longer practising. Hopefully this might give you some ideas.

http://www.bestcatanddognutrition.co...veterinarians/
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:35 PM

Thank you Reg, i will definitely give it a try. i found a vet on this list that use accupuncture and TCM in my area!

Tags
cats, kidney failure