Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Marie-Eve...I've only been here for a month so maybe this is posted elsewhere.... But have you ruled out things like inflammation in the intestines or other metabolic problems in Buster?
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:17 PM

What are you doing now? The Evo RM?
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Just for the purpose of giving you another option, as I went through every premium and prescription kibble I could get my hands on with little sucess, I thought I'd suggest the food I've been using for the past couple of years.

It's basically homemade food, but uses a bought base. It was originally justed to me by a few people on a boxer forum who had had some of the same colitis, sensitive stomach, kibble intolerance problems I was dealing with in my dogs.

The food is called Essex Cottage Farms. I specifically use the Gastro formula, and it not only stopped any signs of colitis or soft stool withint 24 hours of switching to it, it also seemed to get the dog's GI system into shape and allow them to eat a lot of stuff that they didn't tolerate at all before the switch.

www.efarms.cc
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Honest Contributor

looks good, pitgrrl! the only issue i have with these people is when they post BS statements like:

Quote:
NOTE: DO NOT FEED A RAW DIET TO YOUR DOG WITH A SENSITIVE STOMACH / GI PROBLEMS
on their pages. of course they do this because they want to scare people off a REAL diet and sell their products - all petfood companies do that. But it's still propaganda and misinformation. the truth is, MOST dogs do extremely well on a raw diet and it is the ultimate cure for digestive ailments. so when a company says things like that... it's such a turn-off, i don't even want to look at them twice.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Maybe I missed it, but have you tried Canidae Lamb and Rice yet? I have a dog with explode-a-butt and he's doing really well on the Canidae so far. The DVP didn't do so well for me either, and my dog is allergic to chicken so I am really limited as to what I can give him. So far so good with the Canidae though.
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

thats what i found. DVP venison was runny, Wellness venison was runny, lamb & rice he firmed up totally!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938

Last edited by Scott_B; November 6th, 2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM

I hope that food isn't expensive pitgrrl... I mean you're adding the most expensive ingredients yourself.
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
looks good, pitgrrl! the only issue i have with these people is when they post BS statements like:

on their pages. of course they do this because they want to scare people off a REAL diet and sell their products - all petfood companies do that. But it's still propaganda and misinformation. the truth is, MOST dogs do extremely well on a raw diet and it is the ultimate cure for digestive ailments. so when a company says things like that... it's such a turn-off, i don't even want to look at them twice.

I agree with you to an extent, but my experience with my own dogs is that prior to feeing this food, when their GI systems were a total mess, raw meat caused disasterous results. I know many people who switched to raw and found it to be the solution to their dog's problems, but this was not my experience.
After using this food for a couple of years, and having significantly improved their health, they can eat raw without any problems, so I think it can go either way.
The same company actually also makes a raw mix which I've heard nothing but good things about, so I don't actually think they're against raw feeding.
I'm sure they are a company like any other, but besides the fact that I like thier food, I am glad that they're a smaller, Canadian company, who'd owners you can reach by phone, as it seems like a lesser evil to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I hope that food isn't expensive pitgrrl... I mean you're adding the most expensive ingredients yourself.
It's cheaper than weekly or monthly vet visits, countless prescriptions and half used bags of food.

I feel like I'm coming off like a cult member, and I'm truely not, I just went through so many feeding disasters and chronic health problems with my dogs and this food was the only thing that really worked that I feel like it's worth mentionning. I also think it's a good compramise for someone who doesn't feel like they can go raw, for whatever reason, but isn't having any luck with kibble.

Last edited by pitgrrl; November 6th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM

lol no, no, you're not culty. It's just for me, that's a bag of grains, and grains are pretty cheap. It just bugs me when dog food companies overcharge because they think there's some sort of novelty factor.
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I feel like I'm coming off like a cult member, and I'm truely not, I just went through so many feeding disasters and chronic health problems with my dogs and this food was the only thing that really worked that I feel like it's worth mentionning. I also think it's a good compramise for someone who doesn't feel like they can go raw, for whatever reason, but isn't having any luck with kibble.
not at all! and i'm so sorry if i've made you feel anything else than the super-dogmom it takes a lot of devotion to go through what you did and end up with a winning formula :love:

i simply meant... that such "fear tactics" should not be used by anyone to sell their own goods... they could rather state "some dogs with GI issues might not tolerate a raw diet very well, our products are a viable alternative" or something to the effect, you know? broad sweeping statements are seldom true in the pet food world...

so have you tasted one of those muffins?

Old November 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
not at all! and i'm so sorry if i've made you feel anything else than the super-dogmom it takes a lot of devotion to go through what you did and end up with a winning formula :love:

i simply meant... that such "fear tactics" should not be used by anyone to sell their own goods... they could rather state "some dogs with GI issues might not tolerate a raw diet very well, our products are a viable alternative" or something to the effect, you know? broad sweeping statements are seldom true in the pet food world...

so have you tasted one of those muffins?
It's all good, I just didn't want to sound like I had stock in the company or something

I will certainly agree that they make weirdly bold, broad statements on their site. Their other site, for Urban Wolf, which is their raw line of products, says some even weirder stuff, like "cancer prevention diet", but when I"ve spoken to the anyone from the company they seem pretty normal, so who knows.

I don't eat meat, but I have made a few of my meat eating friends try it and they all say it tastes like meatloaf that could use some salt.

Quote:
lol no, no, you're not culty. It's just for me, that's a bag of grains, and grains are pretty cheap. It just bugs me when dog food companies overcharge because they think there's some sort of novelty factor.
I think if one had time, you could totally just rip off their recipie pretty cheaply. I've actually done a pretty good job of replicating it a couple of times when I've run out, but I guess I keep paying for the cake mix like simplicity of it..........and they get me with the AmStaff on the label
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
and they get me with the AmStaff on the label
you know your marketing campaign is good when... LOL!

and I like buying pancake mixes and boxed cake mixes... yep, convenience.

Old November 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah, we're doing EVO RM now....the poop situation is pretty bad, but I think it has alot more to do with the super spicy 4 whole chicken wings he gulped down than the food itself. It'll take a week for his system to clear up a little, then I'll know if the RM is working. I'm going to give it at least a month. The 2 last foods we tried , I switched pretty rapidly, so maybe if I give him a little break

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM

Good luck!
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Marie-Eve...I've only been here for a month so maybe this is posted elsewhere.... But have you ruled out things like inflammation in the intestines or other metabolic problems in Buster?
yeah, he had a few full exams at the vets, she says it's the food...and I should feed science diet

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Have you tried adding a bit of plain yoghurt or canned pumpkin(not the pie filler) to his kibble for a few days? Pumpkin soaks up extra moisture and helps with the runs.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah, I often will add a little pumpkin to his meals to firm him up...I've also been adding pro-biotics. I'm giving it a month. Then I think I'll give RAW another try (especially since we now have a full forum dedicated only to RAW!!)

Old November 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

well, it's been ten days...and I still have a zillion cow patties in my backyard...
Should I give it a whole month? We're doing the digestive enzymes and probiotics now.... keep in mind i'm still really afraid to try raw again....

Old November 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM

hmm...

That really sucks. And if you fast him for a day and then give a half portion the next day, does it help?
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

It helps in that it gives me about half a portion of liquid poo

Old November 13th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Do you think he's allergic to meat protein? Have you tried an all veggie diet?
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

well, I'm hoping it won't come to that , but if that's my last resort
there's still a chance that he'll firm up on the RM, right? Should I bring back the bag (it's only been ten-ish days.... )

Old November 13th, 2006, 10:12 PM

I don't think 10 days of patties is a good sign... I'd maybe keep that bag and go get a veggie food in the meantime..
Oooo, you could just try veggie canned food for a bit and see if it firms up. You know? Instead of buying a bag of something...
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Honest Contributor

marie-eve, we were exactly in your situation with dakotah 2 years ago. a dozen huge stinky cow patties every day, he pooped twice what he ate, no kibble or probiotics helped. at one point it got so bad, he was bleeding from his butt, yellow mucus, you name it. $350 dollars later (pancreatic test, blood test, fecal test, antibiotics (metronidazole and sucralfate) and a small bag of hydrolized soy protein diet kibble), there was improvement after 24 hours, much better after 3 days, and we got him to soft-solid poops which was a miracle. we finished the bag of vet kibble (which was only to give his intestines a break, because that crap had no nutrition) and then said THAT'S IT he's going back on raw. and we made him like it, made him eat it, we went very very slowly like it was his first transition and you know what? perfect small hard non-smelly stools within a few short days and it's like we had a new dog.

Old November 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

hubby has put his foot down : NO RAW....

The poops are getting a little itsy-bitsy bit better with the probiotics and digestive enzymes. (no longer liquid...now they fool you : they look solid until you try to pick them up! )

I'm halfway through the RM bag. What do you uys think of SG Barking at the moon? I know it isn't the top of the top....but it's a little more fishy, so maybe I'd have better luck? Plus it doesn't have any chicken or barley (actually, no grains at all!)

Barking at the Moon High Protein, Low Carb Adult Dog Food

Salmon Meal | Beef | Potatoes | Potato Protein | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley Flakes | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid

Old November 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I think the evo RM is better. But the BM has tomato pomace (stool hardener) which might help in your case.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah, I know the RM is better....but I also thought maybe a little tomato pomace might harden everything back up
On one hand I'd like to try a fishy food, but then you hear of the poisons in salmon, and I'm not sure anymore

Old November 18th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Plus, Buster has started chewing his paws...for a week now. Not sure if it's food related though

Old November 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM

They say the benefits of the salmon outweigh the risks and that dogs just don't live long enough for the metals and things to do any significant damage (but who knows what they'll say next week).
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Honest Contributor

at this point... what do you have to lose to try a small bag? poor buster! i wonder if his butt hurts?