Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Schutzhund

Does anyone know of any websites where i could find out if there are any training places in phx,az for schutzhund training??
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidiho...why don't you just say,Guard-Dog training instead of using the german word? Is that what your dog is going the be,a Guard-Dog?
Yes,I do speak German....
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

(giggles under breath)
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Good for you,yeah he is gonna be my guard dog.......Do you have a problem with the german word for it?? really dont see the big deal if i say it the way or the other..... giggles out loud//////////
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

didnt ask if you spoke german,asked if anyone knew of a trainer in arizona///
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidiho,It would just make sense to me,if you like help with something it would benefit you if people understood what you are talking about..but maybe you also knew,that most people here probably are not involved in Guard-Dog training,but I could be wrong.Look it up in the phone-book,under Dog-Training
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

I did and found some,just thought everyone here sure talks like they do know everything so thought i would ask,thank you though....
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Thumbs down schutzhund training

Persons seeking Schutzhund Training strickly for protection of themselves is about as smart as handing a loaded 38 to a child. I do not know what your background in dog training is but unless you are an experienced trainer and handler of G.S. going into Schutzhund training with a dog is getting the cart before the horse.
I have found far too many people who are fooled into thinking a protection trained dog is their life saver. Not so. Many persons offer this training but the temperment of the dog must be evaluated as well as the background and temperment of the handler-owner.
My suspecion is you are not really familar with Schutzhund training or you would know if there were any reputable trainers in the Phoenix area.
I am not offering my comments as a put down-just wondering if you really know how to choose a dog and what to do once you start training-which is a life long process, not a 6 week course from which will prance your killer canine ready to chomp on the arm of a perceived threat person.

Good Luck
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Not saying i am gonna do it for sure,but it is something i would like to get to know more about,i live alone and i know my dog naturally will be protective,was reading about it and it sounds interseting to me..If they say it is not something i really want to do with my dog i wont... These dogs are so smart why wouldnt i want him to learn???
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

And yes i do know how to train a dog,i know it is a lifelong process,i have someone coming over on thursdays with what i need to be doing with him throughout the week,i know what a huge responsibility owning a dog is,or i wouldnt of gotten him...........
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ms. Ho, you make about as much sense as a dead rock.
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Thank you, i am so happy all of you are such professionals and know everything there is to know about pets,i LOVE this website very amusing...thanks,MS.ho///////// this has got to be the most uptight group of people i have ever chatted with........... THE ROCK///
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Let's not start a %#*^ flinging contest again folks. No need to be nasty to someone for asking a question.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Wow!! I thought it was just me,but i am not trying to be rude here,but i also think some peoples comments here are very uncalled for,so please dont reply to my questions with your own immature comments......Thanks,Bob/////
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM

when i first entered this site i got a lot of help and support, I'm kind of suprised at the responses i just seen, I was thinking of the same thing for my dog when i got her, looked into it more and decided it wasn't the right thing for us. Does it make someone a bad person. Thats why these sites are great you can learn!
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, schutzhund is a game for dogs - a sport. However, before even thinking about doing this, your dog will need to obedience trained to perfection and completely socialized and have no aggressive tendencies. This is about intelligence, agility and endurance and needs to be taught by very competent trainers.

German Shepherds, among other other breeds, are naturals for this. This is an activity that requires a lot of time and dedication.

Cedes, the responses you see here are a reaction to another thread started by heidiho, than ran over 170 posts. She repeatedly asked the same questions and got annoyed when people got fed up answering them over and over again.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

If i want to ask the same question a thousand times i will,i want to make sure i do EVERYTHING right for my puppy,so if you have problem with that get over it,and dont respond to my questions..........
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Actually I think asking once is good enough. Asking more then once is trying to focus attention on 'yourself' not the dog.

Afterall your queries are about your dog, right!
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

You have got to be kidding with that comment,i dont need to come here to get attention,believe me,thought i could find some useful info here..
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

p.s. No asking more than once is someone who wants to be sure they do the right thing.............
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

So would you just ask One QUESTION when getting a new pet????? I doubt it,so i wanted a bunch of different opinions on what not to feed my dog before i bought a new food,not just one persons opinion...............
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Do you want some advise on how to use the site with regards to posting?
I'm not being sarcastic but you just posted 3x in a row when you could have included it in one post.

I'd be happy to offer you advise or show you how to edit your post if you forgot to put something in it.

By the way thanks for this lovely p/m u just sent:

heidiho
Member Join Date: May 2004

g s

Just wanted to send you a personal note,you are the rudest person...Do you have a life?? job??? anything///
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

You got another one coming also..AND YOUR WELCOME//
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Luckyrescue thanks for your response, i didn't know, actually what you said is why i chose not to get invloved with schutzhund with my dog. I have the time for her but not that much time. And I know a sport like that should not be taken lightly.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM

No, actually asking the same questions more than once is usually something a moderator would call "A reduntant topic" and would refer you back to the first time you asked the question and were given an answer. Not trying to be a jerk here Heidiho, but that's the way message boards go. That way others who are looking at the board don't have to surf through the same thing over and over again.

As for the guard dog thing, my opinion is that you should ask about it if you are interested in it. I agree with LR though in that any reputable trainer will tell you that you need more time with your dog, and need to perfect and I mean perfect obedience training first. I own an 80lb German Shepherd and I don't think you'll have to do much to ensure that they will protect you if there's ever a problem. No need to turn the dog into an attack dog. Defending is already in their nature and it will come out naturally if need be.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, I didn't read all of the replies because they didn't make much sence... but here are some sites that might help you:

http://www.germanshepherddog.com/
http://finographics.com/schutzhund/
http://www.dvgamerica.com/whatis.html
http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0035.htm
http://www.dvgamerica.com/

And for all you who don't know what you're talking about, I'll give you some information about the sport.

Schutzhund is a sport. It is not meant for protection dogs. Police dogs and Schutzhund dogs are quite different. Police dogs are working with the police tracking, protecting, and doing all kinds of dangorous work, that could mean death to even the most skilled dog. Schutzhund, on the other hand, is a sport that people do for fun, or competitions.

So, you guys, no offense, but please don't talk about stuff you know nothing about.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

G S

Thanks for the info,thought it might be something good for him to learn,and good for me living alone,but i think i will just stick with his obedience training,his instinct will probably be all the proctection i need...
Sadie's Chefomatic

What is the facination you have with the
////// key?
They make a product called 'Dust Off' It's compressed air, perhaps you could invest in a can to clean your keyboard, some of your keys seem not to be functioning correctly.

I don't particularly find myself rude, like your last p/m to me suggests. It is too bad that you feel that way.

heidiho
Member Join Date: May 2004

g s

You just put people down everywhere/////////

Well, there ya go. I didn't know if Schutzhund was a brand of sausage or a German beer! Now I know. Even if it was a beer, I think I'll stick with Heiniken.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Not sure i, just like that symbol///// I just think some of your comments are un-called for.Someone with a new baby would ask a million questions,and i am sure some of those would be repeated questions,well this is my baby,so if i want 140 different opinions about what i should feed him,then i will ask til i get 140...........