Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
ohyasayswho ohyasayswho is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
Parvo recovery questions

Any and all suggestions / opinions / experience shared would be great.
I have a 9 week old Shep / lab (female) which was recently released from the vet hospital after 5 days recovering from parvo. She has regained her appetite, bm's (how say I say this.....) re-forming, drinking and begining to play. Med's are being continued at home. Steady improvement all around (fingers crossed).
She, Luna has not had any of her shots yet. The vet wants to wait until she has two weeks recovery under her belt before exposing / stressing her system. She will have a worm treatment next Monday which is a full week after her release. I was informed to wait until after her shots before exposing her to public places, for her sake and other dogs. I have a walkway in between my building and the next structure which I take her out to "do her business" which has continued her house training.
Here's my thoughts / concerns;
a) while beginning to gain weight she is still drastically underweight, i can almost count ribs when she is standing and have a urge to play the Xylophone when she's lying down.
b) she has not been exposed to other dogs since week 6 ( her litter mates), so she lacks socialization and she's in a very formative stage. Two more weeks without dog interaction concerns me regarding the long-term adaptation / maturation process. Thoughts?
c) Time will tell however, are there any long-term G.I. health concerns?
d) Luna is eating a special G.I. diet, canned which I will gradually introduce and switch to hard. Anyone have experience with a parvo diet? In general is a G.I.diet long or short-term?

Now, I understand and appreciate that each case is individual. That I will continue to receive sound advice from the vet's who treated her. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by ohyasayswho; September 21st, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.