Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM

We recently had an incident in March where a dog was found on the side of the road with a broken leg. A good samaratin brought the dog into the clinic and it was determined the leg was broke at the elbow.

The owner's were found, and they did not want to pay for surgery, they just wanted to take the dog home and let it heal on it's own. The vet said "no way". The vet then explaned to them that a rescue group would take in the dog and have the leg fixed and find it a new home. Again, they wanted the dog back without surgery. The vet phoned the CVO (College of Veterinarians of Ontario), and asked if she could keep the dog from them or did she have to give the dog back & phone the OSPCA to have them remove the dog. The CVO said she did not have the power to hold the dog from it's owners. However, she had every right to call the OSPCA and report them.

The situation did resolve itself, as the owner's finally surrendered the dog to the vet clinic, who in turn, surrendered the dog to the rescue I volunteer for.

I just fired off an email to Hugh Coghill who is Cheif Inspector of the OSPCA and another one to the CVO general inquires, asking this question. It will be interesting to see what they respond with.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM

Letters to the Editor of the Globe and Mail regarding the THS. Our rescue group is even metioned, yeahhh!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1165746/
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Brianna079 The THS operates independently (public donations) but is accountable to the OSPCA.

ACO22 According to two former vets (and one current) say they are not allowed to decide whether an animal should be euthanized and must clear any euthanasia procedures with the shelter management. The shelter is micromanaged by the president on every shelter decision ... everyone's hands appear to be tied and if you question anything your fired. I'm sure many kept quiet but only for the sake of the animals.

As far as Tre Smith, just because he works there doesn't mean they're on the up and up, he too could feel the animal needs would be better met by staying quiet.

Search Warrant executed at THS http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_35039.aspx
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM

Vets taking an animal

Under Ontario law, animals are "property". A vet cannot take an animal from its owner if treatment is refused. The vet can report the incident to the OSPCA or one of its affiliates. Under the OSPCA Act, an agent will issue an order for treatment. If the order is not complied within a specific period of time (depending on the severity of the need) then the agent can sieze the animal and take it to be treated. If the owner agrees to pay for the treatment and subsequent costs then the animal can be returned to them or they can opt to surrender ownership of the animal to the branch or affiliate.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Under Ontario law, animals are "property". A vet cannot take an animal from its owner if treatment is refused. The vet can report the incident to the OSPCA or one of its affiliates. Under the OSPCA Act, an agent will issue an order for treatment. If the order is not complied within a specific period of time (depending on the severity of the need) then the agent can sieze the animal and take it to be treated. If the owner agrees to pay for the treatment and subsequent costs then the animal can be returned to them or they can opt to surrender ownership of the animal to the branch or affiliate.
You are exactly right, habibi.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Kitty pimp

1.000 animals?? good lord
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Jim,the large number of animals at the THS is solely because of careless irresponsible owners,not the THS.

I too wrote the OSPCA,not accusingly,since I don't know the facts,but that an investigation was needed.
With all the complaints,the OSPCA could no longer ignore it,or they would lose donations,my monthly one included.
It's all about the animals after all,they cannot speak,but some people would see personal greed ahead of animals needs.
Barnotti in Montreal a good example.
I hope the OSPCA gets to the bottom of this and that while this is going on,no animal is suffering,no mass-euthanazia takes place
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Spoke to a rescue group today and they are not given permission to take any dogs to help out. WHY????
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Kitty pimp

no i wasnt blaming ths for so many just that thats a hell of a lot of animals
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM

Well, here is the outcome from the OSPCA's investigation (SO FAR):

THS's side of the story:

"Dateline June 3, 2009: In a surprise inspection yesterday, the Ontario SPCA, along with its veterinarian, examined each of the 1,100 animals at the Toronto Humane Society’s 11 River St. shelter and found not a single animal suffering and needing to be euthanized. This inspection proved the allegations made in the Globe & Mail to be false and without merit. After an exhaustive 5 hour search the Ontario SPCA found the clinic and shelter to be spotlessly clean and orderly.

“As we have repeatedly stated, the Globe & Mail articles do not accurately portray the Toronto Humane Society and the diligent care animals receive when they are in our clinic shelter.” Said Ian McConachie, Senior Communicator at the Toronto Humane Society.

The Ontario SPCA veterinarian recommended different treatment plans for a total of 4 animals. It was agreed that 2 cats in the hospital be given a dental consult and 2 other cats receive additional fluids.

“We expected our ‘Whatever it Takes’ animal care policies to be vindicated,” said Tim Trow, The Toronto Humane Society President. “but now we must show leadership in ending the old fashioned impound and kill policies in Toronto where every second animal is killed in the municipal pounds.”

The Toronto Humane Society hopes that the Ontario SPCA will conclude the investigation in short order and will restore the cruelty investigative powers of The Toronto Humane Society very soon. Animals are being neglected and abused and the powers of The Toronto Humane Society to respond have been legally removed. “The real tragedy of these false accusations in the Globe & Mail are that it has led to animals suffering.” Said Ian McConachie."

OSPCA's side of the story:

"Newmarket, ON (Wednesday, June 03, 2009) - The Ontario SPCA conducted an inspection at the Toronto Humane Society yesterday in response to numerous complaints regarding allegations of the unnecessary suffering of animals in care at the Toronto Humane Society. Ontario SPCA Orders regarding the Standards of Care for four animals were issued.

The Ontario SPCA is required to respond by legislation to any credible allegation of neglect, abuse or cruelty as mandated by the Ontario SPCA Act.

"The investigation is ongoing and we are limited as to the information we can provide at this time. We can disclose that we found animals in distress requiring immediate intervention and as a result, Orders have been issued," says Ontario SPCA Senior Inspector Mindy Hall who is the lead investigator on the case.

Since the Globe articles were released, the Ontario SPCA has received dozens of additional, credible complaints outlining serious concerns that point to a pattern of poor care over the course of many years.

The Toronto Humane Society is currently suspended as an Affiliate member of the Ontario SPCA. The suspension means that Toronto Humane Society will not be able to conduct cruelty investigations and will not have authority or protection under the Ontario SPCA Act. Cruelty complaints can be directed to the Ontario SPCA in the interim.

The investigation may take several weeks."
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:28 PM

Not humanly possible that in 5 hrs., the OSPCA could have "examined" 1,100 animals. That's 220 an hour, or 4 every minute, or 1 every 15 seconds.

Second, as an ex-news reporter who knows people at all the major news outlets across the country, I can say without fear of contradiction that the G&M is far too reputable a newspaper to be so wrong as the THS claims. Considering that the vast majority of the 3-part series is made up of quotes from ex- and current employees and volunteers, along with documentation from the THS itself, the G&M would have had to fabricate all these people and all the documents. Not possible. As well, the high quality of journalism you have to exhibit to be hired by the G&M means the reporter on these stories would be far too smart and experienced to be duped by a bunch of disgruntled employees trying to pull the wool over her eyes with phoney tales. You just don't get to work at the G&M by being that naive and gullible.

Moreover, as the OSPCA has itself said, it is now getting a volume of calls directly to its own phone lines about conditions at the THS.

Last edited by Ford; November 28th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM

bds, it's unbelievable how the THS has "interpreted" the situation, eh? The statement I highlighted is in direct contradiction to what the OSPCA has stated in their press release...
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Kitty pimp

well its shaping upto be an old fashioned pissing contest

im still trying to get my head around caring for 1500 animals in a daily basis
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
well its shaping upto be an old fashioned pissing contest

im still trying to get my head around caring for 1500 animals in a daily basis
When I "rescued" my cat in December, it was during one of their adoption blitzes, so I don't know what the place is like on a regular week. But at that time, the customer service staff were overwhelmed and many seemed at the end of their wits. In the cat house, the rooms are all full so cages are also stacked in all the halls, 3 high against every wall. In my cat's case, there was no litter box in her cage. I was told it was probably being changed but didn't see anyone doing that kind of work in the vicinity. She was also filthy. She stank, as did the small blanket they'd put in her cage. I would have expected a certain amount of kennel stink, but this, it turned out, was because her bottom was caked in feces (she is long-haired, so I know this is a matter of vigilance to begin with) and when I got her to my vet, she said a good deal of the smell was also urine. As well, big swaths of hair had been razored off her because of, I was told, matts. Funny thing...in the 6 months she's been with me, matting has not been an issue whatsoever.

I think the place is overwhelmed in the same way a one-bedroom apartment meant for 1 or two people would be if 3 full families lived in it.

Last edited by bds1960to; June 3rd, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM

BTW, can anyone explain to me why staff and volunteers would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement? It's a volunteer animal shelter, not the Pentagon, for pete's sake! Non-disclosure agreements are usually reserved for people who've held jobs dealing with sensitive government material and people in the private sector who know proprietary information that would commercially damage their company should it be revealed to the competition. There's neither such situation here.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
“We expected our ‘Whatever it Takes’ animal care policies to be vindicated,” said Tim Trow, The Toronto Humane Society President. “but now we must show leadership in ending the old fashioned impound and kill policies in Toronto where every second animal is killed in the municipal pounds.”
Once again, the lame TAS bashing starts up again. Why is it okay for them to slander others but god forbid the Hamilton SPCA say their money (Toronto's) isn't being donated to them. You don't see the other organization suing them for saying the same thing . . .

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; June 3rd, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Well I have worked with a few vets that say otherwise. And no ones hands are ever tied.ACO22
Here is the response to my question to the College of Veterinarian's of Ontario.....so yes, the vet's hands were tied at the Toronto Humane Society.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:31 PM
To: DJ Vandongen
Subject: Question

Hello CVO,

I have a general question, and I am hoping you can answer it for me.

If a vet finds an animal in "immediate distress", can the vet take the animal away from the owner/caregiver himself or does the vet have to call the Humane Society, and then it is the Humane Society that can take the animal away? Does a vet have the power to remove an animal from immediate distress?

Thank you in advance,

Hello XXXXXXX

I’m not exactly certain of the context you are asking this question, but veterinarians are not authorized to enforce the OSPCA Act. They are required to notify the SPCA in cases where they believe an animal is being abused.

Martin Fischer

Investigator/Practice Resource Officer
College of Veterinarians of Ontario
2106 Gordon Street
Guelph, Ontario
N1L 1G6

Telephone: 519-824-5600 X 2238
Tollfree: 800-424-2856 X2238
Facsimile: 519-824-6497
Tollfree fax: 888-662-9479

E-mail: mfischer@cvo.org

Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM

I found this in one of the many links posted here (in red in one of the G&M page)...

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.c...ers_48221a.PDF
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM

Smile This is a time for joy..... look at the big picture.....

I am absolutely confident that this investigation will bring about a huge forward step for the Toronto Humane Society.

This is an organization that has a very long and noble history, and this dark chapter will serve to strengthen its mandate.

The OSPCA has a brilliant Board of Directors and an absolute gem in its CEO, Kate MacDonald. They are movers and shakers and have an unswerving resolve to better the lives of all animals in this province. They will guide the THS back to its former self and help it grow in a healthy, progressive way.

The affiliates of the OSPCA are absolutely necessary to help protect the animals in Ontario. They must maintain a level of success in order to keep their affiliate status, so that they can be depended upon to look after their jurisdictions properly and serve their communities well. They are separate organizations - unlike the branches of the OSPCA.
Therefore, their fundraising efforts are also separate. If you live in a community that is served by an affiliate, be sure to include them in your charitable donations plan.

It's going to be messy cleaning this up and it may take longer than we'd all wish, but this is a time to be happy! There's about to be a BIG change for the better!

Last edited by Ford; November 28th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Here is the response to my question to the College of Veterinarian's of Ontario.....so yes, the vet's hands were tied at the Toronto Humane Society.
The vet is an employee of the THS, so must follow the direction of his/her superior. As well, the THS is the "owner" of the animal and the vet cannot step in to force treatment.

But now with Bill 50 in place, the vet can report the incident to the OSPCA without fear of legal reprisal. Before the Bill passed this last March though, the vet was not protected under the law.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

With major changes at the THS,I hope the most important will be not to adopt out in tact animals,as is the practice right now.
Their free blitzes(a donation is expected)only adds to the problem,giving in tact animals away,who in many cases will end up adding to the cat/dog population at the THS.

Also,the fact vets hands are tied to not euthanize a severely abused or sick animal,makes no sense to me,what should be the main issue,is ending the animals suffering.
But I suppose that too could be abused,killing animals that could be saved:sad:

Last edited by chico2; June 4th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM

No Kill Policy Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post

I do feel every Humane Society should have a no-kill overpopulation policy but when vets voice their professional opinion that an animal cannot be saved it's horribly inhumane to keep them alive suffering in a cage not to mention how many are turned away from lack of space
I know it seems heartless to euthanize because of over population but this thought needs to be considered.....

Shelter life for animals is a very stressful experience - they are, in essence, in jail. Stress in animals causes their immune systems to become depressed and they are much more suseptible to disease. In a shelter the animals that are sharing space have often no known medical history - they are often harbouring diseases that are airborne and can infect a whole population in a very short time.

If a shelter allows overpopulation by keeping a policy that only euthanizes animals too sick or injured to enjoy a good quality of life, then they risk the entire population's lives. You cannot "warehouse" animals - the shelter has a maximum number that it can sustain healthily. That number can be exceeded to a certain degree but there comes a point where the numbers MUST be reduced for the good of all.

Believe me, this is a heartbreaking occurance and I have witnessed it a couple of times in my shelter career. Many of the staff experience a syndrome referred to as "compassionate fatigue", where you just break down emotionally because the pain of the truth you see is just too much to bear. I personally had to just go home on one occasion because I couldn't be there to witness the babies going to sleep. But I knew it was necessary for the good of the remaining animals.

At least, having assisted at many euthanasias, I have the comfort of knowing that a humane euthanasia is virtually stress free for the animal - it's the people who must carry it out who suffer.

Perhaps in a decade or so there will be less homeless and unwanted animals, with the rise of affordable spay/neuter clinics and the heightened awareness of the puppy/kitten mill cancer.

Speaking of spay/neuter, the OSPCA has a relatively new service that will fix all cats and dogs between 5 months and 5 years of age for a fabulous fee! Check out www.spayneuter.ontariospca.on.ca. The wait time is huge, but it's SO worth it!

The only one of this kind in Ontario so far is at the York Region Branch of the OSPCA and another will hopefully be able to book appointments in Barrie by mid September. More are being planned in other regions of the province, and for this I give Kate MacDonald and the Board of the OSPCA a great big hug!
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM

RE: No Kill Policy Thoughts

My link to the spay/neuter service doesn't seem to work so just go to the main OSPCA site at www.ontariospca.ca and click on the link at the left side of the Home Page that says "Spay/Neuter Service".
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I know personally at least from my vet that they can not take an animal and save it if the owner wants to dump and euthanize unless the animal has been signed over to them. Very sad
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibi View Post
I know it seems heartless to euthanize because of over population but this thought needs to be considered
Your right - I should of said "I wish" it was possible that every HS were able to have a no-kill overpopulation policy.

Rescues could of helped had they allowed as well as not adopt out intact animals much less have those "give away" blitzes ... directly contributing to the already overpopulation much?

for this shelter

That's wonderful that the OSPCA is offering the S/N Program
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Here is a link to a new article on the situation at the THS that was in the Globe and Mail on Saturday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1181202/
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Update

http://www.torontosun.com/news/colum...72266-sun.html

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the update L4H. Very serious accusations initially. The sad part is in the public's minds there is going to be continuous problems at THS which will discourage adoptions.

Very confusing based on initially what was reported.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
-

I read the article in the Toronto Sun that Mr. Peter Worthington wrote, I would like to know where he gets his information from that he feeds the public

One thing I know for sure OSPCA Agents receive way more than 2 days training. Also they must complete training sessions yearly to retain their Agent status.

He also states that the OSPCA's "powers exceed those of the police to invade without a warrant".....that is complete hogwash ...If that were true, why is it then, that everytime they obtain a warrant the Police MUST accompany them?

I would like to think that I am not biased towards one or the other, but feel that Peter Worthington has a personal vendetta towards the OSPCA, which is all fine and dandy, but he should not be feeding false information to his readers.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

The sad thing about this 'dispute' is that the animals pay for it. Shame on them both.