Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

could you see how she scratches to get to the grass??? the biggest one GG.

Happy cats, ours no longer have their antlers....
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I tried the links and they were broken. I didn't see any suggestions that would immediately help the overpopulation of deer. Were you able to find that info?

I love the contraception idea over the long term (as long as it doesn't come with health issues, like cancer)

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

this is the bowhunting one GG mentioned.

The HSUS Urges Westchester County to Cancel Bow Hunt of Deer

The Humane Society of the United States

In a letter to Westchester County, N.Y., Executive Andrew Spano, The Humane Society of the United States voiced disappointment over plans to allow bow-hunting of deer in two county parks beginning Saturday. The county executive approved the hunting plan based on the recommendation of the county's Deer Task Force — a recommendation with which The HSUS sharply disagreed.

Laura Simon, field director for The HSUS Urban Wildlife program, was a member of the task force and the only representative of an animal protection organization to participate. Simon submitted a minority report outlining The HSUS' concerns. The minority report was not included in the task force report, despite Simon's request that it be appended.

"While The Humane Society of the United States agrees that there is a need to mitigate conflicts with deer and find ways to enhance native biodiversity, hunting on county property is not an efficient, humane or justifiable way to achieve these goals," said Simon. "Westchester officials should seriously reconsider opening public land to an inhumane hunting program of dubious value."

While deer often get blamed for forest regeneration problems, ecosystems are complex. Factors such as acid rain, plant diseases and insect damage have detrimental yet less visible impacts on northeastern forests. The HSUS questions the assumption that allowing some public deer hunting would bring back a high level of biodiversity to Westchester's forests.

Facts

Bow hunting is one of the most inhumane forms of hunting. Studies show that 20 percent to 60 percent of the struck deer are crippled, not killed, by arrows. Since archery hunting equipment is meant to kill by hemorrhage, it causes a slow, painful death.
Deer confound lethal control efforts by reproducing quickly. They can quickly compensate for declines in their population by breeding at an earlier age, having twins and triplets and a higher survival rate. Hunting creates a bounce-back effect by stimulating increases in the deer population, which can negate any population reduction attempt.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I tried the links and they were broken. I didn't see any suggestions that would immediately help the overpopulation of deer. Were you able to find that info?
Link worked fine for both Melinda & I An immediate solution? no The original question was "Is this the best way going forward?" ... The HSUS doesn't! If your able to click in they suggest alternatives as in for the future deer
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awwwww

It looks like there is a lot of corn in that feed, just to let you know that deer can die from too much starch in corn, so they should not be feed only corn.

http://www.austinwildliferescue.org/..._for_deer.html

I mix this with a custom beef feed that has corn, oats, barley, and molasses:

http://backyardwildlife.ca/rumenitisp44.php
my parents actually mix it with cow feed, apples and molasses (a local deer lover and feeder told them that) of coarse the apples are the first to go

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Happy cats, ours no longer have their antlers....
strange, I thought they all lost them at around the same time of year ?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
this is the bowhunting one GG mentioned.

The HSUS Urges Westchester County to Cancel Bow Hunt of Deer

The Humane Society of the United States

In a letter to Westchester County, N.Y., Executive Andrew Spano, The Humane Society of the United States voiced disappointment over plans to allow bow-hunting of deer in two county parks beginning Saturday. The county executive approved the hunting plan based on the recommendation of the county's Deer Task Force — a recommendation with which The HSUS sharply disagreed.

Laura Simon, field director for The HSUS Urban Wildlife program, was a member of the task force and the only representative of an animal protection organization to participate. Simon submitted a minority report outlining The HSUS' concerns. The minority report was not included in the task force report, despite Simon's request that it be appended.

"While The Humane Society of the United States agrees that there is a need to mitigate conflicts with deer and find ways to enhance native biodiversity, hunting on county property is not an efficient, humane or justifiable way to achieve these goals," said Simon. "Westchester officials should seriously reconsider opening public land to an inhumane hunting program of dubious value."

While deer often get blamed for forest regeneration problems, ecosystems are complex. Factors such as acid rain, plant diseases and insect damage have detrimental yet less visible impacts on northeastern forests. The HSUS questions the assumption that allowing some public deer hunting would bring back a high level of biodiversity to Westchester's forests.

Facts

Bow hunting is one of the most inhumane forms of hunting. Studies show that 20 percent to 60 percent of the struck deer are crippled, not killed, by arrows. Since archery hunting equipment is meant to kill by hemorrhage, it causes a slow, painful death.
Deer confound lethal control efforts by reproducing quickly. They can quickly compensate for declines in their population by breeding at an earlier age, having twins and triplets and a higher survival rate. Hunting creates a bounce-back effect by stimulating increases in the deer population, which can negate any population reduction attempt.

Thank you Laura Simon!

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

HSUS has always been anti-hunting, so none of their sponsored studies are likely to support any hunting as a control measure. Just for an instance, look at the comment in the press release about arrows causing the deer to bleed out. That's true, but all hunting projectiles do the same--be it bullet or arrow, most of the time the cause of death is bleeding out. If you ever saw a deer killed with a well-placed arrow, they hardly react to the arrow. There is a flinch, about like that illicited by horse flies, the deer continues to browse, or moves off slowly and then just collapses. If archery is truly the most inhumane way to hunt as HSUS claims, then other forms of hunting must be even less stressful to the animal?

Also, immunocontraception? First, likely the agent would have to be delivered by injection--and we have had as many as 1.5 million deer in this state alone.... If they get started now, and use something akin to a dart gun to deliver the dose, how long might it be before enough deer are injected to get anything like effective contraception?

Sometimes ideas sound really good on paper, but don't necessarily hold up well in the field.

Just another -worth to mull over...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

just as an "off topic" my gramps was given a canada goose (he rescued also and I wonder who I get it from) *L* anyways, it had an arrow through its head, all the vet could do was cut it off on both sides, he walked a bit "wobbly" till he passed on about 14 months later.
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

they bleed out? its been along time since I've been around hunters, hubs gave it up for me before we married, but don't you have to "bleed" your catch? I'm confused, *L* which for me is a normal state.