Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:36 PM

Howdy From Calgary

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum and seems like I will thoroughly enjoy it here!!

Have always had pets in my life and currently have 4.

Sheridan- 3.5 Year old Jack Russell
Junior- Almost 4 year old cat
Kahlua- Rabbit (rescued, don't know her age)
Quillen- Hedgehog

Look forward to browsing the forum and getting to know everyone.

Cheers,
Burkie
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Hello and welcome to the board! Great pics of your fur babies.
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to pets. thanks for posting pictures before we had to nag you. What a great looking fur family you have. patti
Old January 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Love your fur and prickly babies! Welcome to the board, Burkie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Hedgehog & Bunny Envy

Namaste, Burkie,

Had rabbits as a kid but found them aloof, except for Sofia. We had two facing chesterfields. Tippy, a Sheltie, would lie on the carpet between them and Sofia would sneak out from one and nip the dog on the foot. Tippy would yelp and do a flying turn to get Sofia but could never catch her. Then Tippy would lie where the bunny had escaped and wait. But Sofia was smart. She'd creep round the other side to the other crouch and creep up for another nip. Quit hysterical. This game could go on for what seemed hours. (I was ten and time is relative.) Fortunately, Tippy didn't hold grudges and never attacked the bunny. I don't remember them ever lying together, though. None of my other rabbits had so much personality.

What about the hedgehog. I know they're not so cuddly but do they have any personality.

Cheers,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; January 10th, 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: wrong word - too much hurry
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post
Namaste, Burkie,

Had rabbits as a kid but found them aloof, except for Sofia. We had two facing chesterfields. Tippy, a Sheltie, would lie on the carpet between them and Sofia would sneak out from one and nip the dog on the foot. Tippy would yelp and do a flying turn to get Sofia but could never catch her. Then Tippy would lie where the bunny had escaped and wait. But Sofia was smart. She'd creep round the other side to the other crouch and creep up for another nip. Quit hysterical. This game could go on for what seemed hours. (I was ten and time is relative.) Fortunately, Tippy didn't hold grudges and never attacked the bunny. I don't remember them ever lying together, though. None of my other rabbits had so much personality.

What about the hedgehog. I know they're not so cuddly but do they have any personality.

Cheers,
mhikl
Acually you'd be surprised how cuddly some hedgies can be. Mine will curl up on my shoulder against my head and sleep. And they have tons of personality. Quillen gets toilet paper rolls and a small cat jingly ball in his cage. He'll spend half the day with his head stuck in one end of the roll trying to scoop shavings and the ball into the other end. And he loves having his belly rubbed.

this is a link for a video of my dag and rabbit playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0S8Kh8h7oQ
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Hedgehog; cool

A friend had a hedgehog but got it a little old and set in it ways from a pet store. I suspect it probably had been a returnee, maybe a number of times over. He would take it outside and let it be free for a time. It can move pretty fast. He had to wear gloves to handle it and the hedgehog was always in a ball when he held and carried it. I liked it because it looked clean and didn't smell like rodents do. Dogs and cats are just so practical. All the kinks seemed to have been worked out over the millennia. Maybe a bald hedgehog might be they go, over the next millennia.

Namaste,
mhikl
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca, Burkie

Quillen is too cute and I love the way both Sheridan and Juniour are posing.

So where's the pic of Kahlua?