Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
MiniMomma

I have been trying to get past history. Several of us have been trying.

The nurses at the hospital are the ones that were trying to rescue this cat. This lady is in pallative care. Her case worker feels that she will not be able to respond to this. Believe me when we have tried.

He is supposed to be neutered and micro chipped. He has been handled. 3 vets have advised to put this cat down. My own vet thinks that maybe something is wrong with him mentally. She is coming to my place to tranq him and see what we can do. I do not make these decisions lightly at all.

To those that want to make fun. Please feel free to take this cat and do something different. TO change his kitty litter box- I have to take a water gun and spray him to go into a cat kennel. He has attacked me through leather work gloves. I sit with him 2 hours a day. Talking to him. When the vet comes out- I am going to try some anti- anxiety drugs as suggested by a very good cat expert.

I can not release him into my property and hope for the best. I have 2 small children and children that come visit me. I will not live with the guilt if he were to attack them. I have brought cats to be in the same room as him. To see if they will help ease anything. He litterally flys in his kennel. Snorts.. hisses and trys to attack him.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimomma View Post
When the vet comes out- I am going to try some anti- anxiety drugs as suggested by a very good cat expert.
So you haven't tried everything...

Sooooo,instead of saying you might have to put him down,you should have said you will try meds on him first....Just my

Thank you guys....

ancientgirl,I'm so glad you went the meds root.There are times when we don't want to use it.BUT if there is a chance that it will help,why not.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM
MiniMomma

What has all this got to do with me being pro horse slaughter. If you read my posts in regards to this.

Everyone has different opinions on things and views but again judged.

I am not trying to offend anyone or be rude but please take a step outside of the box and look at things a little different.

New poster comes on- Likes the site- then because of that posters views on certain subjects is judged by certain posters. I may be way off base but this is my perspective on things. If you want to know things ask questions. I am a straight shooter with nothing to hide. You want to see my financials- hey go right ahead.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
MiniMomma

Nope haven't tried anything. nothing at all.. nope...

Did I once say I was putting him down tomorrow. Let me refresh some memories. WORST CASE sceniro- I may have to. ALSO, if my vet is coming out- I am trying different stuff.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Since I'm wading in here and not sure really what ground has been covered, I think you will find that this cat would relax a great deal if released on your property with proper outdoor accommodation he can use. A shed with an opening into a little snug nest for him, or we have little houses we've made for the strays around here to keep dry and warm in winter. Sounds to me like he's a very stressed kitty. I doubt that he would attack kids if released outside, likely would run away from them. I would also be sure that my children and any children that came to visit are told to leave the cat alone. Just my opinion, and I've had loads of experience with wild cats. I would try this instead of putting the cat down, it sounds like the way things have gone so far, he's so stressed it may take a very long time if ever for him to calm down around indoors.
The hardest part will be catching him to take him for his rabies shots every 3 years. By then he may have come around enough to come to you very gladly, but will turn into a fighter as soon as you get him to the vet. Lots of sweatshirts and long leather gloves will be needed for that.

Cindy
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
MiniMomma

Thanks CLM for your reply and ancient girl ( i hope that is)

Right now- putting him outside is not an option. I don't know if I could risk this at this moment. I want to absolutley sure that he will just run away. If I knew he would. I have no problems with this sceniro. But if he were to be a danger to any other rescues and my children. I couldn't do it.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
ancientgirl,I'm so glad you went the meds root.There are times when we don't want to use it.BUT if there is a chance that it will help,why not.
Mona, I had her inside last December. In that time, she would literally foam at the mouth whenever any of my others would come near her gate. It was all stress and anxiety on her part. I mistakenly let her out of confinement after about 2 weeks. In the few days she was loose with the others, she peed all over the place and attacked my recently spayed kitten, who I had to take in on an emergency to have her stitches repaired.

She ran away from me one day, just got past me while I had the door open. About a month ago, I spoke to my vet and asked if there was anything I could give her. She suggested Prozac. I tried a topical in her ear for about 2 weeks but had to stop because I was also putting eye drops in her eye and she got to where she just would not let me touch her. So I had to stop and had to wait a week until I could get a hold of her vet to get pills. I'm starting now from scratch and she's been on the pills for almost 2 weeks.

My vet told me one of the other vets in the practice has used it in the past with excellent results. I'll have to keep her on them for 6 months, maybe more but then I can ween her off. I hope by that time she will have integrated into the rest of the group.

Sorry, didn't mean to TJ
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I hope it works out for you. I'd hate to see this poor cat put down, yes I know he's aggressive, and I understand you worrying about him running away, and while I know you've meant nothing but the best for him, this whole thing has caused him so much stress, he needs some space where he's not feeling vulnerable, and a small cage isn't going to do it for him.
Maybe a large outdoor kennel like they use in catteries for keeping Toms sometimes. I mean very large, like 10X12, 12X14, some branches to climb, a nice warm house to sleep in. Just remember it'll need wire on top as well, cats can jump pretty high. . Just a thought.

Cindy
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimomma View Post
Nope haven't tried anything. nothing at all.. nope...
Ummmmmm,you haven't tried any meds cause you already stated that when the vets comes,you are going to try some ani anxiety meds.So no,you haven't tried everything......yet.

No one said anything about you putting him down right away.

Now this is just a question.Why is it so hard to get info about this cat?This woman doesn't have family?Who released this cat or should I say took this cat from this woman?
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Well your doing a great job ancientgirl.

Keep up the good work..
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You couldn't release this guy if he has been an indoor only kitty, that may lead to a very slow death.

I hope you come up with an answer. Too bad you didn't have any info from the previous owner.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
MiniMomma

This woman is dying. This cat was in a home and the nurses and the case worker were trying to give this woman her last wish. She knows that she her cat is going to a foster home. She is getting worse and worse. If she had any family, we would know about it.

The case worker is informed about Jakes progress.

Yes he is really stressed out and I will try everything but I always look at worse case sceniors( can't spell) He is in a very large dog crate right now. We moved him from my bathroom. THat I had to put high locks on because my kids don't understand why they can't see the kitty and help the kitty as they have in the past with my rescues.

My vet has been out several of times and has looked at the cats reaction ( she was out for some other critters. We were hoping he was going to settle down due to stress. This is why she is going to bring her tranq gun, to take blood tests, to see if anything is medically wrong as well. I am sorry that I get my back up against the wall.... I am just frustrated.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

minimomma, I understand your frustration, but in times like this we have to look at things from the cats perspective. I've got 5. 4 that are together in the apartment and one stray I'm trying to integrate. The 4 are very friendly, and one in particular loves when I have company. But if someone goes into my apartment, like the maintenance guy, and I'm not there, he'll get downright nasty and hissy. To the point where if you get too close he will attack, something he doesn't do normally. But he's seeing this person invading his territory and his mom isn't home.

Your guy has lived with his owner for a long time. An owner that loved him and took care of him. His world is now upside down. He was taken from his home to be with his owner to then be taken to another home and put in the care of strange people he's never seen before. He's like a fish out of water and his only form of expression is to fight for his survival. He no doubt sees everyone who comes towards him as an enemy.

He's also in a cage smaller than what he's used to. I know you said it's not possible, but I think a room of his own or as clm suggested, some sort of kennel type area with a little enclosure. Right now I think he might just want to be alone to work out what is going on.

Little by little you could bring him food and talk to him and he can get used to you.

Medication can also help calm him down. Prozac works on cats just like it does on people.

I think space would be a good thing for him. A place he can walk, run or climb in. Where he can get away from strange people and feel safe.

When I sit with my girl she sits on my lap and purrs, but there are moments when she swats or hisses at me, and now and then she'll try to nip at me. When she does that I get up and leave. I'll walk in there a few minutes later and she'll be all fine. I have to realize she's gone through major changes but little by little it will work out.

I hope you can use some of the advice given to you here to help your guy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Last edited by ancientgirl; July 7th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
MiniMomma

Thank you,

He was in my bathroom downstairs- quite a big room for a long time with places to hide. Well he would hide and then fly out and attack you as you are feeding him. It was suggested to try him in a smaller space which we are doing.

Thank you for your suggestions- I am not giving up- will see what the vet has to say this week and the test results.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think ancientgirl makes very good points. I would like to add that if his previous owners were slowly getting sick, then the cat may have sensed this, causing him to be even more scared.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Minimomma,I know how dangerous a crazed,stressed out cat can be,it's not only hissing and swatting,but a real fly at you teeth bared attack.
It was my own Rocky,whom I love very much,several people asked"is this cat still alive?"
He's attacked me 4 times,where I needed hospital-care.
But he had a reason for his behavior,now I've learned to look out and make sure,he is not again in a situation where he attacks.
Could I live with a cat who is always dangerous,no,I don't think so.
A crazed cat can do very serious damage..
In this case,this poor cat probably lived indoors with one lady,he has lost his home and the person he trusts.
Is he an older cat??
In my case with Rocky,I think the way I behaved in the situation made things worse,although it is very difficult to stay calm when a cat has his teeth dug in to your ankle.
I would give this cat a chance to learn to trust you,if it takes meds,so be it,if he will take it
There might be something medically wrong with him too,he might be in pain,or someone might have hurt him,who knows what he went through before his owner ended up in hospital.
I don't think that letting him out to fend for himself is a humane solution,I know,not any of my cats would not survive out there very long.
I know my opinion goes against most peoples,but if this cat does not respond to any treatment after some time trying,is a danger to everyone,maybe the only humane thing to do is to give him peace.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
MiniMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Minimomma,I know how dangerous a crazed,stressed out cat can be,it's not only hissing and swatting,but a real fly at you teeth bared attack.
It was my own Rocky,whom I love very much,several people asked"is this cat still alive?"
But he had a reason for his behavior,now I've learned to look out and make sure,he is not again in a situation where he attacks.
In this case,this poor cat probably lived indoors with one lady,he has lost his home and the person he trusts.
Is he an older cat??
In my case with Rocky,I think the way I behaved in the situation made things worse,although it is very difficult to stay calm when a cat has his teeth dug in to your ankle.
I would give this cat a chance to learn to trust you,if it takes meds,so be it,if he will take it
There might be something medically wrong with him too,he might be in pain,or someone might have hurt him,who knows what he went through before his owner ended up in hospital.
I don't think that letting him out to fend for himself is a humane solution,I know,not any of my cats would not survive out there very long.
I know my opinion goes against most peoples,but if this cat does not respond to any treatment after some time trying,is a danger to everyone,maybe the only humane thing to do is to give him peace.

Thank you for your response. Jake is supposed to be 3 yrs old. He is supposed to be neutered. ( can't get close enough to tell for sure- even when he is flying through the air)

I came home from work today and he seems to be getting worse. I can't even open the bedroom door without him freaking out in the dog kennel. I was hoping to let him go in the bedroom to give him more space and more hiding places. I picked up some stuff from petsmart. The aroma is supposed to calm cats. It does not seem to be helping. I am starting to think this is more of a medical problem, then just stress and being scared. As in the past he will not hide- just attack. I will wait to see what the vet has to say when she comes this week.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure what it is you got at the pet store, but Feliway is a product that helps cats by giving off those "feel good" pheremones. The only thing is, it takes a little while for it to start working if you actually get the diffuser. There is a spray that is supposed to work faster. You can spray it around the area Jake is in, around his cage. You can also try putting some Rescue Remedy in his food, and maybe that will help as well.

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
MiniMomma

The product I got is a spray product like feliway. It was from Petsmart... I picked the most expensive. I sprayed it about 3 hours ago. It says to spray every couple of hours.. So I am going to try this for the next little while. Where would I get the rescue remedy?

Thanks in advance
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Since I'm wading in here and not sure really what ground has been covered, I think you will find that this cat would relax a great deal if released on your property with proper outdoor accommodation he can use. A shed with an opening into a little snug nest for him, or we have little houses we've made for the strays around here to keep dry and warm in winter. Sounds to me like he's a very stressed kitty. I doubt that he would attack kids if released outside, likely would run away from them. I would also be sure that my children and any children that came to visit are told to leave the cat alone. Just my opinion, and I've had loads of experience with wild cats. I would try this instead of putting the cat down, it sounds like the way things have gone so far, he's so stressed it may take a very long time if ever for him to calm down around indoors.
The hardest part will be catching him to take him for his rabies shots every 3 years. By then he may have come around enough to come to you very gladly, but will turn into a fighter as soon as you get him to the vet. Lots of sweatshirts and long leather gloves will be needed for that.

Cindy
The OP has repeatedly said that this is NOT a feral cat. Yes, Feral cats run away; they don't normally attack. The OP has a right to be worried about her kids. An aggressive tame cat does NOT behave the same as a feral cat.

People (not Cindy) have also said "you haven't tried everthing" and "you shouldn't kill him."
All I see from the OP is we are TRYING (present tense - ongoing effort) and she MIGHT have to euthanize him. MIGHT (possibly, at some point in the future.) She is planning on trying drugs. She has explained things thoroughly.

This can't be an easy situation. Maybe you should cut her a break.

Some people have said "my cat bites sometimes, but then is fine." Yes - key words here - SOMETIMES. The lovely white cat whose picture was posted is not nasty ALL the time - just SOMEtimes. That may be something called "petting aggresssion" which IS fairly easy to manage once you know the signs. Ditto for stalking aggression. Those are fairly easy to work around.

From the description of this cat, he is aggressive ALL the time. This seems to be what people are not understanding. A cat that tries to rip your arm off when you are feeding it is in a totally different category. There IS such a thing as a dangerous animal.Just because it's a 10-14 pound cat doesn't mean that it's not a danger.

There is also the distinct possibility, judging from the behaviour, that the cat has some sort of brain damage. A tumor on the amygdala, for example, would cause uncontrollable aggression, and there is NOTHING that can be done about it. I'm not saying that is the case. I'm saying it's a possibility.

I think that if people actually READ the specifics of this case, you would understand what is going on here - the cat is NOT a feral. The cat is NOT simply scared. The cat is NOT nice "some of the time."

I am NOT pushing to have the cat euthanized.
The OP has already said she is looking into drugs. But if they don't work, then she might be out of options.

This poor woman has obviously been trying to help the cat and I think people should stop being so judgmental. When the cat is in your house flying at you, then you get to decide.

Last edited by catlady999; July 7th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Is he an older cat??
Now, that's what I call an open-minded response - presents experience, gives ideas, allows for other possibilities, recognizes the physical threat, understands that not every animal can be saved. Basically, covers the whole spectrum. My faith in the possibility of civil behaviour on forums is partially restored. Thankyou, Chico.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Contributor

How was this cat when you got him?How was he where he was currently after taken out of the home and placed where he was?Have the caretakers of this women able to tell you how the cat was?Are they scratched apart from this cat?Was the owner?Did the cat have free run of the owners place?

I know alot of questions.Just wanting some input about the cat.You can sometimes know a cat by their surroundings.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
MiniMomma

The cat was staying at a nurses place. The nurses who rescued him from his home. tryed giving him gravel. I was told he was standoffish. I honestly do not know how the nurses got him in the carrier. The nurse I picked the cat up from basically told me good luck. He was fine when she left him go in their bedroom downstairs( spare bedroom) I couldn't pick him up for a couple of days due to work ect and her work. They live over an hour from us. The cat would start attacking her.....

It took my husband and myself over an hour and half to get this cat. My husbands arms were ripped to shreds. He had puncture wounds on his arms. To let you know how bad it is. My husband is an infantry soldier( a tough man who has seen alot of things) Jake ripped through leather work gloves. we wrapped him in a heavy duty blanket and put him in the kennel.

No other information as the owner is dying in the hospital. However the nurse did say the owner took better care of the cat then herself. The owner was in a wheelchair. She fell out of her wheelchair and was on the floor for 4 days. The nurses are thinking maybe that cat has been run over ect.. I know the owner has MS and something else. We have been thinking because of the severity of MS, Jake had no attention or interaction. He was well fed. The nurses said the litter boxes looked like they never have been cleaned. As far as I know he had run of the whole house. I can not give him this opportunity. This cat has been getting worse and worse. I have spoke to several of experts and people who have experience.

As catlady pointed out HE IS NOT A FEREL cat. I wish he was.

Back to the nurse. we were going to meet at the hospital. She could not get the cat as he attacked her. My husband and I did not feel this was safe for her to be trying to do this.. with not alot of experience. We drove to her house to do this. She said.. she had no idea what to do... if we didn't show up. She would have had to call ANIMAL CONTROL

To give you an idea, I would go head to head with a 1200 lbs mustang over and over again.....no problem. Jake is different. He is so aggresive and he is dangerous. He is not just a small cute kitty. He will hurt someone or something. I have no doubt in my mind.

Last edited by minimomma; July 7th, 2008 at 11:46 PM. Reason: poor grammar and sentence structure- please ignore.. I am trying to multi- task.. and my dogs won't stop barking- coyotes
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
MiniMomma

If any of you would like to Volunteer and try to help this kitty out and pay for the huge vet bills that are most likely going to come out of this. Please I will sedate him and ship him to you at my expense.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Remembering Lukka

I just want to say that it sounds to me like you are in a very tough spot here. You want to provide every opportunity for this cat to go to a loving home, yet he is so dangerous that I doubt it would ever be possible. I would not want to be in your shoes and I wish you luck but it doesn't sound to me like this cat is going to be tamed.
I remember years ago at the Humane Society one cat that was left at the back door in a crate sometime during the night. It had the same type of reaction whenever the cage was approached. The cat had to be bagged daily just to clean the cage or to put food and water in. Eventually the cat was deemed unsuitable for adoption and destroyed. The wild look and actions of this cat were terrifying, I had never seen anything like it before, and I want to say that I never would have a cat like that in my house.
I think you are very brave to even attempt to tame this cat, and thank goodness that there are people like you who are willing to take the risk.
If you are successful with this cat, I commend you on your devotion to the cause, if the worse case scenario does happen, I thank you for trying everything in your power to help the cat.
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope the vet can find some reason for this aggression, but if not, I agree with Chico, you have to give him peace.

I wonder if the cat got injured during one of the "moves" and is now afraid of humans?

As I posted earlier, to let this cat free would probably lead to a very slow death for him.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 8th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I could be wrong, been known to happen, , but I think this poor kitty who is still really young, has been through too much lately. Probably hasn't had any socialization with anyone other than the owner, and now it's whole world has been torn apart. He's scared and needs some space to calm down. Even a bathroom would be a little too small for him to feel safe if someone comes in to feed him or change his litter box, if he's feeling cornered, he'll attack. It's too bad because I think with time he'll come around, but it's not easy to give a cat that kind of space in a house. You'd almost have to give up the reck room or one of the larger bedrooms for a while. I don't blame the OP for having him put down if his behaviour doesn't change, I just think it's sad for such a young cat.

Cindy
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

minimomma,I assume when you said Jack was given gravel,it's a typo(I am great for that)maybe you mean Gravol?Could it have done damage???
I also believe there is a very strong possibility Jack is in pain,maybe even braindamaged from a kick or who knows what else
At only 3 yrs old,it's really sad,not much more than a kitten:sad:
I have Feli-Way diffusers in 2 rooms,to stop my Rocky from spraying and it works,but I buy mine on E-Bay,not available here anymore.
Pet-Smart sells Nutri-Vet,which did not work as well for spraying.
But I was told it's worked very well on behavior-problems,however it will take time,Jacks problem might be too severe.
I am hoping your vet can give you some answers

Another point,my cats but mostly Rocky,goes off the wall just from the sight of a carrier or cage,but you say Jack is the same if left in a roomit's a mystery,but with your rescue experiences I trust you to not give up easy.
Good Luck to poor Jack and your family
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

You can get Rescue Remedy at any health food store. It's a natural extract and helps in calming down. At the very least maybe putting some drops in his water might ease his anxiety a bit.

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
MiniMomma

Thank you for all your replys.. I have not given up hope. I am pretty stuborn. I wish I could give him more room but due to safety reasons. He needs to be in this cage. Sorry it was a typo- for gravol. I was up really late and my brain was not functioning.

My vet will be out on Sunday so keep your fingers crossed.
Closed Thread