Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM

Puppies and Leashes

I would like to start training to take my six week old Collie puppy on a walk but I do not know if her neck is developed enough that tugging and pulling on the leash could hurt it.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome!
When training a dog they shouldn't be tugged and pulled, regardless of age... There is a great book - Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Killcommons that shows you early training ideas through to training older dogs. It's about 20 buck Canadian.

I would first use a nylon collar and try and enforce (even with treats) that the puppy stays close to you...
There are even great puppy kindegarten classes for puppies, we didn't go to to one, but I'm sure some one here could have some information for you!
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:37 PM

Thanks,
I didn't mean that I would tug or pull the puppy. I was afraid that she might tug and pull because she didn't like the leash.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL!!! Sorry! She probably will at first, to be honest.... I think the puppy should be okay, the generally understand that if it hurts to slow down...I honestly and trying to remember back to last winter what we did, and I can't!! All I remember was that when she gave to pull I would say her name and she would stop.... LOL! Sorry... I SURE someone has better information then that!

added: I found THIS, it might help a little!
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:47 PM

My Puppy freaked out when I put him on a collar and leash. He hated it, and after he stopped trying to free himself he would just sit there and refuse to move. So I went out and bought him a harness, it works much better and we both have more control. Once he was comfortable with the harness I was able to switch back to the collar and leash after a month or so.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM

Depending on where you live and how cold it is you might not want to keep your pup out to long. It wouldn't take very long for a six week old puppy to get cold and shivery.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:06 PM

Yes, I agree. During the afternoon it is stiil getting into the 70s here but it probably won't continue to be that warm for very long. I am going to look into getting a harness for her.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM

Question Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I though puppies where supposed to stay in and around the house until they're a couple months old. I could be wrong I just remember hearing that somewhere. Something about them being more suseptible to diseases and stuff at that young age...

Can anyone confirm or am I making no sense?

Good Luck with the puppy!!

Joelle
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

A 6 week old puppy should be with it's mother as that is too young for it to be away from her.

Joelle is right. Until a puppy has completed a full series of puppy shots, it should not be going outside the house, because of the high risk of disease.

And 6 weeks is way too young to be going for any walks at all.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM

I was hoping that it was a typo and that they really meant 6 months, but I guess the poor pup really is only 6 weeks since Kent hasn't said otherwise. :sad:
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:17 PM

I was just thinking the same thing....poor baby is missing its mummy.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM

Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know that she would be more suseptible to diseases. I thought that she should be fine because she has been started on shots. I will keep her inside. She seems to be doing fine away from her Mommy and she is almost 7 weeks now.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

OMGosh! I thought it did say 6 months... that's why I gave that information! Please keep her indoors. She can still wear the collar to get used to it though...
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
banned user

Too young to leash walk

The puppy cannot go outdoors on common roads etc where other dogs go until she is fully immunized against serious,deadly diseases,like Parvo Virus,this can be picked up in other dogs feces..on paws etc

She is far too little to go on a leash,her neck and shoulders need to develop more..however you can get her use to the leash indoors..put a very light weight leash on her and let her walk around the house with it on..she can drag it behind her

When she has had her shots,take her into your yard for some practice runs on the leash...always make sure there is plenty of slack in the leash so that she doesnt pull or tug and injure herself..when she is fully immunized then its time to take her out on the road for short walks...puppies tire easily,so take it easy for a while.

It the meantime dont be too anxious to train,because she is so young,she needs more time getting socialized with humans,and her surroundings...give her time to adjust to being away from siblings and mommy,and use to the outside world...Please dont let her come in contact with other dogs until shes had ALL her shots