Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old April 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

The kind of emails we get..

Here's a sample. Maybe it will help people understand why we get a little cranky sometimes. This email is dated TODAY at 2:45 p.m.

-----------------------------------
Hello, I have a beautiful border collie that needs a new home.
i have been in touch with several rescue organizations and they have all told
me they are full. I will be bringing her to the SPCA (montreal) tomorrow morning
if i don't find an organization that can take her. She is totally up to date with shots
but she has not been fixed. She does not get along with my son but she is wonderful with
adults and cats. She never makes a mess in the house and she has never chewed anything!
Please help us!!!!???
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Kitty Consort

Angry Good grief

Lucky, I honestly dont know how you do it.
My hat is off to you and to all who put in so much time and hard work, display such devotion to helping animals.

Before I joined this site, I had little rescue knowledge. Its been a real eye opener, I can tell you.
I never realized that SO many could be so... unconscionable..with the animals they profess to love.
This email is a perfect example. What is WRONG with these people?
The frustration must be overwhelming at times
A bit cranky, you say? That you somehow keep your optimism and humour, and retain any faith in people at all is downright amazing.
An admirable restraint must be needed to refrain from telling some people "exactly" what you think..
Old April 20th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG, how very sad. And I am sorry for taking you the wrong way at times . I guess I don't understand the full extent of what you go through , it must be an emotional rollercoaster for you, to have to deal with this on a daily basis.
I just wanted to Thank you so much for devoting your life to helping the sweet innocent animals of this world, you really are and angel .

Thanks again Lucky, many animals are alive and thriving because of you!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
SO many could be so... unconscionable..
No kidding. Debbie got a call yesterday from someone wanting to dump her 8 year old Pom because it's become "inconvenient" as she wants to travel this summer.

We offered to list it on our site and help her find it a home, screen adopters etc... The answer was "No" - she wants it GONE NOW. What do you say to people with no heart and no conscience who would treat their pets this way?

Another guy emailed from the US, asking if we could help him. He needed a new home for his 6 year old Dobie mix who bites. He was angry that we could not perform a miracle and find the dog a home with someone who is looking for a 6 year old mix who bites.

The other day someone called saying she "found" four 6 month old kittens..hmmmm...right! She must think people who deal with animals are idiots.

A well dressed woman in a late model car drove up to our adoption event, demanding we take a litter of kittens. She was angry because her cat "won't stop getting pregnant"(imagine the nerve of that cat!!). We suggested she spay the cat. She stormed off in a huff, after informing us "I can't afford that!!"
It took all my restraint not to run after her and kick her in the butt!

A couple wanted to adopt a cat as a playmate for their large husky pup. The husky was "too rough" on their other dog so of course a cat would be better!!

I could go on all day ranting.....

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pass them on to Debbie Raymond and I know she will appreciate it!!

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; April 20th, 2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Smile

I reached the conclusion many years ago that animals(especially dogs)are much better than people.I developed a philosophy of I fix my corner of the world and I think if each of us does that things will get better .I know so many people in rescue who burn out and in the end just become so overwhelmed with all the wonderful dogs who are just dumped when they are inconveniant.I'm very lucky that I work with dogs whose owners love them and treat them as members of the family,so unlike people in rescue I see the caring wonderful people who treasure thier pets more than the ones who don't.I see the people who's dogs arrive for boarding with teddy bears,meals that I have to cook for them and I even have a wonderful old dobie who likes you to cover her with a blanket at bedtime.I don't work for any rescue in particular,but I do help a few rescues with kennel space if they are stuck.I know how hard it must be to work day in and day out with people who don't care,but I for one am grateful and glad there are people who care enough to help these animals who need it it most.If it weren't for you guys Molly and Nell wouldn't be here and Tess and Gypsy wouldn't have thier buddies.Thankyou(sorry it's so long)
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Before I joined this site, I had little rescue knowledge. Its been a real eye opener, I can tell you.
SAME HERE!! I honestly don't know how you guys do it.

It seems to me that this person is telling you if YOU don't pick up his dog before tomorow he'll be brought to the SPCA...like it's YOUR fault if he winds up there...makes me want to puke . AAARRG!

What would become of these animals if you guys weren't around to look after them?? It honestly makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

my hands down favorite so far....

Received a call when the BSL Ontario discussions started from a guy who had a pb pitt. He wanted to drive the dog to me immediately so that I could find a home for it. Sounds reasonable.... well, he had a stipulation with that and it went like this "under no circumstances are you to chop this dogs balls off, I'd rather kill him first". Needless to say he could not understand why I would want to alter his beloved dog.

The second was a call from a lady who wanted to help a friend of hers find a dog. It could be a senior dog but had to be small. Why? Because the lady could only walk for 20 minutes out of each day. So a small senior dog would be perfect as she could time it just right. Apparently small senior dogs can hold it for the balance of time. I asked was there a backyard, oh no, this lady lives in a condo. So of course, I wanted to know what the dog would do for the balance of time when the lady couldn't help it. The answer, Oh, I never thought of that. I guess it's not a good idea, huh. I suggested a cat for her as she wouldn't have to worry about anything but feeding it and cleaning the litterbox. No, she's set on getting a dog but maybe you could talk to her. I ask for her name and number. She says well I'll give you her number but she doesn't like anyone to know her name. I was so flabbergasted by that point that I said, so how exactly will this lady adopt any animal if no one can know her name. The lady said, well I feel sorry for her, she's paranoid schitsophrenic and doesn't trust very easily. I finally had to say that I really didn't feel comfortable placing any animal with her unless there was someone to help her in the home.

The joys of rescuing.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oi vey

i had a guy call me on a monday night and tell me i had to come pick up his 8 week old puppy. he hadn't even had him for a week and wanted him out because he "suddenly" had to move to toronto and of course couldn't take the pup with him....!? what!? you're telling me that you didn't know you were moving the week before when you bought the pup from a breeder....uuuum...ok. then he told me i had to go pick up the pup the next day, 1 1/2 hours away, during work hours, cuz he was moving on wednesday. i had to get on the phone and hustle some transportation and a foster home. wasn't easy. i call the guy back to tell him everything is set.....and guess what?............................................. ....................he sold the pup.

another woman wanted to adopt from us. had her home visit. from the time she applied until her home visit and approval to adopt, it took 6 days total. she then had to wait a couple of days for us to get back to her to arrange a meeting with a dog. on the 8th day, her friend emailed us (the woman didn't have her own computer) and threatened that if we didn't get back to her asap, her friend would go buy a puppy from a petstore!!!!!!! needless to say, no dog for her.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Owned by goldens

Rescue

Today I spoke with a lady who last week picked up a dog. She heard from a neighbor that their relative wanted to get rid of this dog. She went to see it and immediately realized that the dog couldn't stay one more day in that home. It did not have a collar or leash, had crooked legs and was very thin. She found out the dog was not fed dog food,only table scraps when there was something left. It had terrible diarrhea and had obviously been beaten as it is very skittish. Of course it isn't neutered and hasn't had its shots in 3 years. She can't keep the dog and only took it to give it more time and to try to find it a new home. She hasn't been successful so she contacted rescue. We will do our best to place this dog in a new home if it is healthy enough. It is hard to believe but apparently this dog does not have an aggressive bone in its body.
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

amazing & sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
It is hard to believe but apparently this dog does not have an aggressive bone in its body.
I always find this so amazing when you meet an animal that has been so badly neglected and still has an incredible ability for forgiveness and love.

My thoughts are with this guy and I hope that he is able to recover and enjoy life to the fullest. These cases make you keep going and wonder why you do.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It seems to me that this person is telling you if YOU don't pick up his dog before tomorow he'll be brought to the SPCA
You got it!! It happens a lot - "If you don't come immediately and get this animal, I'll kill it and it will be ALL YOUR FAULT!!"

The horror stories could go on for days..

Pitcrew Rescue told me about a guy who wanted to adopt an adult pit bull, BUT he wanted to amputate it's tail so it can't "knock stuff off tables." Sounds reasonable to me!

A woman wanted a 6 week old puppy. She worked 10 hours a day and lived in an apartment. Is that a problem?

A woman contacted us looking for a blind or crippled cat. Her last two got out and were killed because the doors are always open and she wanted one who couldn't get out.

Some idiot called looking for two tame 8 week old kittens to put in a barn so his kids could play with them when they were out there.

Ask Animatch about the waiting they have for tiny purebred dogs, who are hypoallergenic, don't shed, dont' bark, and are guaranteed to be housebroken. (Don't hold your breath guys!)

Quote:
"under no circumstances are you to chop this dogs balls off, I'd rather kill him first".
For guys who don't have any of their own, dog testicles take on prime importance.

For all the people out there who want no fuss, no muss, no bother pets, I have the just the thing on my site:
Purrfect
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

we have diamond now (who is posted in the dogs for adoption thread).
we got him from animatch. he had been surrendered to them 3 days after his family had their skin baby. the family then proceeded to try to adopt another dog from them when that didn't fly, they tried to get a friend of theirs to adopt one from animatch for them!!!! needless to say, helen was not impressed.

i love this thread, chris and my friends listen to my venting but it's great when you have people who can really relate :love:
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I am amzing rescue workers are not crankier than they could be (NOT suggesting anyone is cranky, lol) My guess it is all those wonderful pets who help you keep your perspective. I know for me - the kids I work with - especially the younger ones who come through their cancer treatment with more hope for the world - help keep me going!
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Kitty Consort

UN-believable.
Truth is stranger than fiction all right, and this kind of stuff just boggles the mind. How callous, how cruel, how stupid can people be?
No limits, apparently. :sad:
Bless you all for dealing with all of this and more, and to be the angels of mercy for the animals who've had the misfortune to fall into the hands of those who abuse, neglect, discard and dump.
How do they sleep at night, one wonders?

And - for those who have such outrageous,ridiculous and outright moronic requests - what do you say to them?
Do you have a standard reply? (are you brain-dead??)
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM

I always say I'd love to be reincarnated as a cat but then you see/hear these horrible stories and it is just sickening how some people treat animals
I don't know how you Rescue folks manage to put up with some of the BS that people put out there ... kudos to you for having the patience to deal with the evil that is mankind :sad:
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM

There are times when I'm completely flabbergasted by some of the cr*p that we see here on this site alone. I can't begin to imagine what you people go through on a regular basis off-line. My hat is off to all of you who work in rescue.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know how you do it, but I sure am glad you do :love:

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
banned user

I do understand why you would get a little cranky mail like this everyday can real take a person down.. I feel the same way about some things I"m learning about paws daily... it really can cause me not to sleep at night and I'm sure you are the same. I keep thinking it will be over soon and worth every sleepness night. You and all the others do a great job, where would these animals be without you all
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure how you guys do it but I'm glad that there are people like you out there to help these poor defenseless animals!

My parents and I rescued a dog once from a family. The wife had gotten in touch with us to tell us that she had a dog who her husband just didn't like. Apparently her husband didn't like his colour so he used to beat him. We jumped in the van and picked him up while her husband was at work. He has been with us ever since. He was 6 months old at the time and was afraid of everything, men, birds, other dogs. It took us a few months to get him to trust men again and to be properly socialized. He has to be the most loving dog we have ever owned!

To have to deal with this everyday takes someone very special. I'm glad that you guys are out there to help these animals in need. I would hate to think about what would happen to them if you were not there for them.

Last edited by Beaglemom; April 25th, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Beaglemom, what I really have to wonder about is what kind of woman would be with a sadistic and cowardly brute who would mistreat a helpless creature.

Very pathetic. Sure wouldn't be me!

Thank you for being so kind and patient with this dog!!
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Beaglemom, what I really have to wonder about is what kind of woman would be with a sadistic and cowardly brute who would mistreat a helpless creature.

Very pathetic. Sure wouldn't be me!

Thank you for being so kind and patient with this dog!!
I also wondered how someone could be with a person like that. I couldn't tolerate it either myself.

Our cockapoo is a very sweet natured and loving dog. We love him dearly and are blessed to have him in our family. He will be 14 yrs old this coming November.

It's unbelievable what some people put animals through and how they can just dump them as if they are a disposable item that they have become bored of.

Last edited by Beaglemom; April 25th, 2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM

I rescued my dog from the SPCA here July, last year. They had had him for about a month because they had to fatten him up. He was running loose for about 1-2 months...he was literally skin and bones when they got him and when I took him home, you could still see some of his ribs.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that when they picked my dog up from running lose, they said that he willingly jumped in the van with them and when I met him for the first time, he was as friendly as could be. Someone dumps him off or lets him go or whatever, running lose -- no water, no food, no love, no one...and he still manages to love back. What is with animals? Sometimes it makes me mad to think about all these stories mentioned above and not understand why these dogs still love us humans back?

This may sound harsh, but sometimes it seems like we should put some humans in cages, with no one to love them or talk to them and see what they think.

Sorry for my rant...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM

Yup, reading all these stories, I can say I get these kinds of e-mails and phone calls. The dog always has to go "now", never in a couple of days once we can make arrangements. Like they didn't know 2 days ago they would be dumping their dog.

And when you can't go right away, the threats start, "well, I guess I'll have to drop him off at the SPCA", or "I can't afford to send him to the SPCA, I will tie him out front"!

It does get pretty bad, but what keeps me going is to see all the smiles on the dogs' faces that I have now placed in new, loving homes. That alone is worth every headache, heartache, and other aches associated with rescuing!!
To know they are now happy is what makes it worth while.

But I have to say, the more I rescue dogs, the more I hate people!!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
For guys who don't have any of their own, dog testicles take on prime importance
You've never spoken truer words Lucky... LOL
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Foxy's Canine Companions

I have to agree with L'ilRickysMom: But I have to say, the more I rescue dogs, the more I hate people!!! This comes to mind so often. Had one this weekend who child was allergic to the their dog they had for years and the doctors were going to report her for being a bad mom. I emailed I had an open foster, but the reply was that she euthanized him that morning and know she feels really bad. Well me too! was 2 days to long wait after 5 years.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,judging by my enormous amount of posts over a couple of years,I truly enjoy this Forum.
I have learned a lot,at one time I believed SPCA was the only place where unfortunate animals were left,I had no idea there were so many wonderful dedicated people out there.
I already knew there was a lot of evil people,with no morals,no compassion ,no feelings period and I honestly have to say,I prefer animals to some people,all they want is love.. :love:
Lucky and everyone else involved in rescue will always be my true heroes,I sit here and often cry over some poor little soul,abandonned or abused,but I know the future will be brighter for them in"our"rescuers loving hands.
Thank's everyone,for all that you do :love:
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Just had to add this. Just got an email, and this is ALL that is written on it.

Quote:
Dog was found. Needs a home. Please call
Period.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah!!That tells you a lot Weird people!!
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Wow, Lucky Rescue, that's the best one yet! Got me laughing, sadly to say, you can't help but giggle once in a while at these stupidities we get...

Did you recontact them through their e-mail for more info?
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

No I did not contact this person, since the title of the email was:

Quote:
Subject: found/lost dog do not email but call