Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Dog whimpering with toy in mouth usually after eating

Hi - I have a 10 year old husky/hound cross.

After she eats her dinner (which is usually a home prepared meal) she often goes and gets a soft toy and carries it around in her mouth whimpering. She does this until I help her find a place to hide it (usually on our bed or in a corner under a blanket or towel).

She also has done this in the past when she has been given a treat or bone/rawhide. She wanders around whimpering until we find a good place to hide it and then seems to relax.

She has been spayed so it's not related to pregnancy (I read that somewhere else).

She doesn't do this after she eats her dog food breakfast but quite often after she has had her home prepared dinner.

It has always puzzled me a bit - sometimes I think she has enjoyed her dinner so much it has given her a tummy ache and that has something to do with it but I really don't understand why she wants to hide her toy especially after eating.

If anyone has any ideas why this happens I'd love to hear them!
Old September 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

This behavior is usually an extension of the dogs natural behavior to hide any leftover food from other animals. Some dogs will resort to finding their toy and trying to hide that because they've eaten all their food. Her whimpering sounds like just her natural vocalization while doing this, her anxiety with the instinct to hide her food, or whatever she deems important.

It might be happening at night because that's when she feels for whatever reason, she needs to do this. (Possibly with the dark evening, etc.)

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the reply. I couldn't really make the connection with what was going on since her dinner and the toy seemed unrelated to me.

I guess this just proves that a home-made meal is a lot more exciting than her boring dog food (she never does this after eating her dry food) so I'll take it as a compliment!
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Our pup started hiding her milk bones in the planters on my deck after we started feeding her raw food. She'd not hid things before then, and I laughed at hiding milk bones. I could understand hiding a regular bone (or part of a bone), but a cracker??? I guess that hiding her toys or hiding her milk bone are related

(the funny thing is that she's liking her milk bones less and less... perhaps it's the part that she's not ready to give up the milk bone, but not inclined to eat it either that triggers the hide instinct? Are the toys your dog is hiding favourite toys, or least favourite toys?
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM

That's funny.

The toy our dog hides is actually her favorite toy. She has many to choose from but it is always her fuzzy football that she gets.

It's hard to figure out what they are really thinking!