Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM

How do you all pay for vet bills?

I love my cat very much, but really I am just a student. So far, my vet costs over just the last month have been nearly $1000. And this next procedure will be around $500.

How have you all been able to manage?
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM

vet bills

Hi Cerena,

I too have struggled, it's not easy. However, purely by accident, I discovered an entire network of organizations that might be willing to help. I take care of a feral cat colony and because of these cats I have unconditional support of two non-profit orgs that spay/neuter any cat I trap and keep them with a constant food supply. I started volunteering for these orgs at low income no income spay and neuter clinics and volunteering anytime they had fund raising events. I do the same for the local county animal shelter.

All of these events puts me into contact with so many people that would be there to help me if my domestic indoor kitties ever became sick.

I have also bartered for vets services. If their office is backed up I would trade any of my office skills to pay for my cats bill. I will also clean do landscaping, anything they needed to pay off that bill.

What is wrong with your animal that it needs such big bill procedures/treatments?
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Half Way To Crazy

some vet have a program to pay per month like a visa card, other will (if you ask them) just let you pay per month without a card.

is there a teaching school for vets near you ?? if so you might be able to call and see if they have reduced rates if they do this.

if I were you after this procedure is done ( ask the vet if you can pay per month) put a little a side every pay or month in case of emergencies.

We have all been there and I know what you are going through
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I've had to take out a line of credit in the past when faced with some rather gigantic vet bills. At least the interest rate is cheaper than a credit card! You might also want to check out some of the groups that provide veterinary financial aid to those with limited income. Here are some links that might help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nary_care.html
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=28
http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links.html#finance

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I found that prevention is the best. I feed the best foods I can afford, keep a close eye on them and as soon as someone seems a little bit off they go to the vet. I guess having cats for over 20 years helps..there's a hairball throw up and then there's the hmm something's not right here throw-up. Now one of my previous kitty's, we went through a bit with him, he developed a blood parasite, and he got really sick, he did recover, but it compromised his health in later years. I have spent a bit on vet bills over the years but so far have been amazingly fortunate, considering I've had critters over 20 years...shhhh don't tell anybody!!
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
Hi Cerena,

I too have struggled, it's not easy. However, purely by accident, I discovered an entire network of organizations that might be willing to help. I take care of a feral cat colony and because of these cats I have unconditional support of two non-profit orgs that spay/neuter any cat I trap and keep them with a constant food supply. I started volunteering for these orgs at low income no income spay and neuter clinics and volunteering anytime they had fund raising events. I do the same for the local county animal shelter.

All of these events puts me into contact with so many people that would be there to help me if my domestic indoor kitties ever became sick.

I have also bartered for vets services. If their office is backed up I would trade any of my office skills to pay for my cats bill. I will also clean do landscaping, anything they needed to pay off that bill.

What is wrong with your animal that it needs such big bill procedures/treatments?
Hi junkyarddog,

To answer your question (what is wrong with my cat):

Tooth extraction (pre-examination, extraction, and post-treatment pain medication costed $808.74 )
Hyperthryoid problem (tapazole, lifelong treatment, $20 per month but so far I've spent $67.20)
Antibiotic (which has not worked, by the way! $120.84)

Total costs: $996.78

And now, they are suggesting a procedure costing $470, not including antibiotics.
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
some vet have a program to pay per month like a visa card, other will (if you ask them) just let you pay per month without a card.

is there a teaching school for vets near you ?? if so you might be able to call and see if they have reduced rates if they do this.

if I were you after this procedure is done ( ask the vet if you can pay per month) put a little a side every pay or month in case of emergencies.

We have all been there and I know what you are going through
Hi breeze,

No, unfortunately there is not a teaching for vets here. Thanks for the advice though
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I've had to take out a line of credit in the past when faced with some rather gigantic vet bills. At least the interest rate is cheaper than a credit card! You might also want to check out some of the groups that provide veterinary financial aid to those with limited income. Here are some links that might help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nary_care.html
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=28
http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links.html#finance
Thanks for all of the links, sugar! Hopefully I can find something that will help me out. I just have to cut back on a lot of things this summer.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Omg

I would have paid exactly what you did for the tooth problem with my domestic indoor kitties. However I have had to learn different lessons with my colony of ferals cats at my wrecking yard. One little girl that was thrown over the fence that I now have in my home got hooked by a claw (feral animals have poison in their claws and teeth) in her jaw and mouth. She eventually lost the tooth but it came out from underneath her chin. I pulled it out of the hole it made and then fed her medicine.

Makes me wonder? Was it the poison or could your cat's, or mine if it had happened to them, own body could have taken care of it? Food for thought. Make note that my girl was thrown over the wrecking yard fence and was once domestic did not have poison in her claws.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyarddog View Post
(feral animals have poison in their claws and teeth) in her jaw and mouth. She eventually lost the tooth but it came out from underneath her chin. I pulled it out of the hole it made and then fed her medicine.
Make note that my girl was thrown over the wrecking yard fence and was once domestic did not have poison in her claws.
Are you saying feral cats have poison in their teeth and claws? If so please give me some articles so I can read up on this. Right now I'm totally confused by those comments.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's tough being on a budget and trying to do the best we can for our pets. Hopefully one of the links SCM gave you will help out. I know first hand how expensive it is to look after cats. Can you say credit?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!