Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
FatFat and LittlMan's Mom

my first lilies

This is the first year that I have had lilies. I thought that they were just beautiful. I just wanted to share a picture of them with everyone.
Attached Images

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Butch (aka Fatfat) 8/11/2005
Sunny (aka LittleMan) 8/11/2005
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They are gorgeous! They look almost too perfect to be real!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Young at Heart

You're right - they are beautiful!
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Very pretty. I love the deep red colour.

Cindy
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your right, they are beautiful. The colours are stunning.
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW,love the red ones...I am going to stick some more bulbs in the soil for next year,unfortunately gardening-season is coming to a close to darn fast
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM

Wow, those are very nice! I have some lilies but am thinking they are in the wrong spot as they are not doing well. They aren't really blooming much and the stems tend to fall over...
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Garden nut

I LOVE lilies!! Great pic!! Those seem to be young bulbs though. Look forward to 6-9 blooms next year, and 12-15 the year after that, and a giant thick stem, approx 2" or more diameter and 3-5 feet tall. When they start to get crowded the year after you get the most amount of blooms, dig them up and separate them. You might even find the main bulb deeper than you planted it. The buggers have the amazing ability to dig themselves deeper via their fleshy roots at the base of the bulb. And you'll see tons of "baby" bulbs all along the stem and around the mother bulb.

Currently I have a little over 100 bulbs and I propagate a few every winter via scales.

I think anyone with any amount of space should grow lilies. lol I know of a gentleman in the UK who doesn't have any lawn space and grows many lilies in tubs outside. As long as the pot is big enough, the lily could care less. They are so forgiving and strong in the wind. They aren't that expensive either. If you catch the right sales, you can get many for $1 or less each bulb in pack of 25 or more from the specialty dealers in Canada. Many of mine came from Veseys and from a specialty vendor in Alberta. Can't remember the name for some reason. But buying bulbs from a farmers' market may not be the best, because there have been people who use bulbs for cut flowers, and then once the flower stem is harvested and sold, they dig up the bulbs and sell them. Problem with that is you possibly might get a bulb that is depleted of energy and may not bloom again for two seasons but it will eventually recover. Best thing to do with those kinds of bulbs is to split up the scales, and each scale has the potential to produce 3-5 babies, which in 2-3 years will be flowering size bulbs.

They love sandy, well-drained soil, in full sunlight. Well, most of them anyway. The Martagon types like a bit of shade, whereas others prefer their heads in the sun and feet in the shade and can have the potential to grow 6-8 feet tall (like the Orienpets). Some are fragrant like the Orientals or Trumpets, and others have no scent at all. Some have pollen and some don't. I find they like growing among other plants like Johnny Jump Ups (viola) because the viola roots are shallow and create the shade towards the soil. There are so many types that you can literally have blooms from spring to fall, although most of the types you get at gardening center bloom June/July. Martagons for spring blooms and Orientals/Trumpets for August blooms.

Here's a link to learn about propagation and where/how to plant. They take minimal care once they are in a place they like and just need separating every 3-4 years to avoid crowding and the bulbs and scales are fun to trade with other gardeners.

These are pics from my front lawn center bed, I have three other beds in front but the center one has the most bulbs, along with several daylily, some iris and other perennials.

http://www.lilies.org/propagation.html

Old October 31st, 2007, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow,your garden is beautiful,just the way I like it
My gardens are somewhat similar,an organized mess I call itwith several different plants in spots.
The problem with Lillies,their bloomtime is very short...
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
~Cat Servent~

I noticed this year that the tiger lillies were out for quite a while... I've always wanted to try those. Both of your lily gardens are beautiful! It makes me wish I had at least an inkling of a green thumb... I've even managed to wilt a hearty mum this year!! :sad:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,don't feel bad about the mums,I am normally pretty good with plants,but have stopped planting mums,they just don't like me
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm with krdahmer--my thumb is green, but only because of the mold. Actually, I was very proud of how well my garden did this year and was going to post pictures of it...but then I noticed how much prettier the untended wild area beyond the fence was, so I was thinking I'd post pics of that instead.

Now that I've seen crazyk's and CearaQC's flowers, though, I may have changed my mind again!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG what amazing pictures and gardens......I love lilies too

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~