Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Talking Sweet tooth anyone?

The grape jelly is finally working its magic.
I hung it from the nectar station, since that's where the orioles hang out, anyway,
but the first customers weren't orioles...
or even catbirds, which I've heard really like grape jelly, too.

Nope. The first visitors were rose-breasted grosbeaks! Who woulda thunk it?!?

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 6-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak female 6-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  58.7 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Mama Grosbeak checked out the area from the top of the shepherd's hook for a while, then snuck in for a quick snack.

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak female 6-29-10 C.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak female at the jelly 6-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak female at the jelly 6-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  37.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Papa Grosbeak, who's molting (notice the twisted wing feathers?), is a little more direct.
He just sidles down the wire hanger and helps himself to dessert.
And he doesn't seem to mind having a sticky beak afterward.

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak at the jelly 6-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak at the jelly 6-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak at the jelly 6-29-10 C.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.1 KB

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

After the grosbeaks have left the restaurant, the orioles finally start making an appearance!!

The female showed up first.

Mama Oriole is suspicious like Mama Grosbeak was. She looks both ways...
Name:  Baltimore oriole female at the nectar 6-29-10 D1.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  Baltimore oriole female at the nectar 6-29-10 E1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  43.5 KB

...before finally taking a sip of nectar.
Name:  Baltimore oriole female at the nectar 6-29-10 F.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  48.2 KB

(There is always one hummingbird feeder out there with a bee guard removed so the orioles have easy access
Keeps the birds from pulling out the bee guards by themselves and dropping them into the hummingbird garden,
where they get demolished by madame hazel's clumsy feet )

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, the prize!!

Handsome Papa Oriole arrives, checks out the area from the pine...
Name:  Baltimore oriole 6-29-10 A1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  79.4 KB

...then flies down to check out the grape jelly.
Name:  Baltimore oriole at the jelly 6-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  42.4 KB

But wait!! Now there's two!! And the newcomer seems to have a bit of attitude...

Name:  Baltimore orioles at the grape jelly 6-29-10 F2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  41.3 KB

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And suddenly there are three gorgeous males at the feeder

Name:  Baltimore orioles at the grape jelly 6-29-10 C.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  52.5 KB

And hazel thought there was only one couple in the neighborhood Another case of 'Who woulda thunk it!?'

After introductions, things settled down and they shared their nectar and jelly quite companionably.

Name:  Baltimore orioles at the grape jelly 6-29-10 E2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  Baltimore orioles at the grape jelly 6-29-10 D2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  55.0 KB

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The nectar feeders are still attracting the hummingbirds, too, of course.

Pop Ruby-throated Hummingbird:
Name:  Hummingbird at the nectar feeder 6-23-10.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  32.6 KB

Mom Hummingbird:
Name:  Hummingbirds at the nectar feeders 6-29-10 D.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  34.7 KB

And now that the first broods are out of the nest, Junior comes, too! Name:  Adolescent hummer at the feeder 6-23-10.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  30.4 KB

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And they, of course, bring their friends

Name:  Hummingbirds at the nectar feeders 6-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  Hummingbirds at the nectar feeders 6-29-10 C.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  Hummingbirds at the nectar feeders 6-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  86.5 KB

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM

Hazel, your bird photos are gorgeous! You sure do attract a lot of different kinds.

What is it that you're putting in the feeders? Recipes are meant to be shared, yes?
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We actually bought this house because it was a bird paradise.

"Forget the house, honey! What does the habitat look like?"

The only thing on the flat orange feeder is grape jelly. It's an oriole feeder and is meant to be filled with sugar-water nectar, but none of the birds ever figured out it was there so I stopped filling it. Why waste good nectar, eh?

The nectar in the hummingbird feeders is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water (or 3 parts water for an extra strong nectar--I use the 1:3 ratio very early in the season when the birds are just coming off migration and need the extra calories, or if it gets very cold).

Heat the sugar / water solution to boiling, stirring to keep the sugar from settling on the bottom before it dissolves in the water, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool and store in the fridge. It should keep for a week in the fridge, but it never lasts that long here. I make it in 8-cup batches (2 cups sugar; 8 cups water) and that'll last a day this time of year. When the migration is at its peak, I'll need three times that amount each day

When we were in the city and not seeing many birds, I'd usually make it with a half cup sugar and 2 cups water and that would hold me for almost a week.

During hot spells you might have to change the nectar every day. If you see it getting cloudy or even slightly opaque, it means bacteria is building up and you need to change it.

Old July 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
You can call me DOG!

Congratulations on the Jelly Hazel! Whoot Whoot!

If you don't have a green thumb, you sure have a spot for your feathered friends.

Pictures are stunning!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, klm. I had given up on the jelly but then you posted your thread about it and I decided to try it again, this time on the oriole feeder.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I soooooo love your bird posts! Never heard of birds liking jelly, but you photos are proof they do.

Keep up the great work and the photo sharing

Diane
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thx, Diane. I'm glad you're enjoying them! I sure do like taking them...

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Holy smokes, I can't get over how many birds you have, Hazel , I am so jealous

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was just out trying to photograph a mob of grosbeaks...seriously, there were about 20 of them on the platform feeder or on the shepherd's hook it was hanging from!!! But the mosquitoes were so bad, even in the blind, that I had to run screaming into the house! So you get the best of both worlds, L4H--I'll share pics, and you can see them without having to put up with the bloodsucking hordes!

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I was just out trying to photograph a mob of grosbeaks...seriously, there were about 20 of them on the platform feeder or on the shepherd's hook it was hanging from!!! But the mosquitoes were so bad, even in the blind, that I had to run screaming into the house! So you get the best of both worlds, L4H--I'll share pics, and you can see them without having to put up with the bloodsucking hordes!
Deal.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Live well, laugh often

What a bird paradise you have, I'm jealous .

Gorgeous pictures Hazel, especially papa oriole .
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll offer you the same deal I offered L4H!

Orioles really are beautiful I noticed today, though, that they're all joining the grosbeaks in molt and starting to get a little ragged-looking.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Oh wow!!! Those photos are wonderful!!! I, as well, am extremely jealous

I wish I had trees, or something lol! That's the downful of a new home... takes several yrs to have a decent yard!

Post more piccies
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

But the upside of a new home is that you can plan your gardens and yards to really pull in the wildlife It just takes a while to grow up. I always loved the shows on HGTV where they redid the yards to make something wonderful from literally nothing. One thing this place doesn't have is HGTV, though. So I watch the birds, instead

There's lots of pics in here, Robyn...from a bunch of members

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Thanks, klm. I had given up on the jelly but then you posted your thread about it and I decided to try it again, this time on the oriole feeder.
So glad the jellies working for both of us Hazel! Only problem on my end is that I haven't seen any hummers lately. Do you think the hummer's sense the orioles on the nectar feeder and are stearing clear of it?

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I don't think so, klm. Our hummers keep coming to the other feeder even if the orioles are monopolizing the small one, and the feeders are less than 3 feet from each other. And once the orioles leave, the hummers go right back to the small feeder again.

I wonder if your hummers are busy with a brood and coming less often?

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
You can call me DOG!

Don't know why I haven't seen the hummers lately.

They were catching onto the feeders and once the orioles started lapping up the jelly nearby, I haven't seen any around.

I guess that doesn't mean that maybe they come by early mornings when I'm still sleeping and don't see them. I'm so not an early riser!

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We get our biggest 'crowds' in the hour starting at sunrise and the hour ending at sunset. Try watching for them as the sun starts to set--they should be fueling up for the night.

Are you changing your nectar every day? If it gets too old, they'll stop drinking it.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Doggie Wench

WOW! Amazing shots, Hazel .
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, LP. Do you ever see orioles there? I'll bet you have a few of them around... They like the woods!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, wow what stunning shots. I miss my birdies, the old campsite was heavily treed this one is pretty bare still. We are in the process of planting to encourage more birds to come. Thanks for sharing. pbp
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have skeeters to donate for that true north woods flavor, too! Free shipping and handling! Want some?

I hope your trees grow quickly!!!!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,OMG those are beautiful pics,you are so very lucky to get all these birds,I am green with envy
I have never heard of an Oriole-feeder before,that is just amazing