Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM

Unhappy Is popcorn ok for dogs?

First, let me say, I have already talked to my vet. He said that he was not aware of a problem with dogs eating a small amount of popcorn. I was wondering if your dogs eat popcorn or not.

I shared mine with Sydney last night, she had 5-10 pieces. She vomited her dinner last night. She has not kept any food down today (we just tried a little bite of chicken, so far so good ), she is keeping water down.

She is so pitiful though!

The popcorn was the only thing out of the ordinary.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM

Was there anything on it?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:37 PM

I share my popcorn all the time, but I make sure that there's no butter or whole kernels or anything like that in it (just plain popcorn, not blathered in tasty goodness and seasonings). He usually eats half of what I do and has never gotten sick, but all dogs are different (and popcorn isn't the healthiest of things to feed your dog on a regular basis anyway).

Could she be allergic to corn? Even then, I really dont think that few pieces would make her THAT sick... soft stool MAYBE, but...

I would talk to your vet again. Is there a possibilty she could've gotten into anything else?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM

Oh, if it's an intolerance, it doesn't take much.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

yep...it doesn't take much if there's an allergy to corn. Evan used to throw up and be under-the-weather for a few days if he ate popcorn--he was extremely sensitive to corn proteins--but the rest of our dogs enjoy a piece or two now and then without any problems...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Dracko loves popcorn. He smells every kernel I give him and if there isn't any butter on it, he won't eat it. Will take it in his lips and drop it on the floor.

I've never had any digestive problems with him from it.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
-

I don't eat popcorn very often but, when I do, I share a little with my dogs. It's only the plain kind.....not butter, seasoning or flavouring......therefore my hubby is not allowed to share his with the dogs.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
Cinder & Maddie's Mom

Pepper and my old dog Samantha() both have/had a like of popcorn, so it was a little game for them to get the pieces that were thrown on the floor for them. They never had much, but never got sick from it either. Cinder my youngest doesn't care for popcorn, so she leaves it for Pepper.

Pepper (16) Border Collie/Blue Heeler x
Samantha (15) English Springer Spaniel

Saving just one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that animal.

The soul is the same in all living creatures, even if the body is different.
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't eat popcorn so my Eskie doesn't - normall! - get it - and of course Eskimo dogs who eat corn based foods often need digestive enzymes otherwise way too many trips outside for major business. But his groomer recently started carrying a product called Pup Corn - it is cheese flavoured. She got it in a few weeks ago on a trial basis and has a sample can on the go. It is loved by all dogs, including my little devil. So since he is about to turn 3 I bought him a tub of it - more expensive though than popcorn - 7 oz. (198 g) costs $6.50. Pieces are quite large - probably about the size of 3 popped pieces of corn. Each piece has 3.1 calories and 0.025 g of fat. Since my guy's cookies - no matter the size - are always broken into 4 pieces - he can count - a little is going a long way.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Live well, laugh often

I love popcorn. Surprisingly it was one of the few foods that Lucy didn't have much interest in. Then along came Fred (cat) who absolutely loves popcorn and is quite the begger . Once Lucy saw that Fred liked it then she also got in the act . It has no effect on my animals but I think it could if your dog has a major corn intolerance.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Flyball Mom

Willow loves popcorn and has never had a problem with it. I usually get the mini bags of light popcorn so there is nothing on it. She gulps it down and hasn't had any problems.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Sorry. What kind of dog is Sydney? I still don't think 5-10 pieces of popcorn is enough to make your dog that sick, even with intollerances in toy breeds. Throwing up her dinner is one thing (eliminating the food before it has a chance to digest), but continuing to be sick the next day is another.

If you haven't gone back to the vet, please do so and report back here.
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Bowser lurrvs popcorn, never had a problem. hehe when i saw this post i panicked! i was hoping that the answer would be "popcorn is fine" cause Bowser eats it so often
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Sydney is doing better. She kept everything down yesterday (boiled chicken, rice, and a little bit of her regular food last night) we had one episode of diarrhea yesterday, but since then, we have been back to normal. She is about 45 lbs, and it was plain popcorn, Jo ate some too, and she was fine. Sydney's regular food does not have corn in it, so she may have a sensitivity to it. I had not thought of that, and my vet is young, and thus not as experienced as some when it comes to thinking outside the box, which is why I asked here, I will talk to him about that when we go in next week. But I like him and trust him (and he has partners with more experience that he does call in if needed), and Sydney and Jo like him. Thanks for the support!
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
-

It does sound like a corn sensitivity......no more popcorn for Sydney.
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Update!

Well, it is definitely a corn allergy, she got a crumb of plain tortilla chip, and it was a mess all over again but worse!!! At 2:30 this morning, she threw up again, by the time I got it cleaned up, her little head was starting to swell, and she was breaking out in hives. I called the 24 hour vet told them what I (we) suspected, and they advised me what to do (I live almost 1 1/2 hours from them, really didn't have time to get there to start treatment). I was up the rest of the night, watching her sleep. She is much better now, but I am going to have to be VERY CAREFUL from now on about her food. Here is a picture of her poofy little face.
Attached Images

Last edited by H.P.; March 26th, 2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Edited to add: She was giving me a kiss, tongue not out due to swelling
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Boss-lady!

Poor girl! Definitely no corn products for her!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
-

On the upside ~ isn't it "great" (not to diminsh your wee grrrl's pain and suffering) that you were able to determine her allergy pretty much ASAP because of her immediate reaction instread of a long, drawn out process of elimination (over months or years..:sad: ).

So good news ! On the road to recovery !
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
-

I'm glad to hear you gto the corn allergy confirmed. No eating popcorn in front of her anymore.
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I'm glad you found the culprit to her situation, at least it's something manageable (even if it means you have to eat popcorn in secret )

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Oh my goodness!! That is the worst corn allergy I have ever seen! I'm glad that you found the problem, but this goes beyond allergy straight to intollerance. I just can't believe that such a little "crumb" of a tortilla chip (it WAS a corn tortilla, right? Not flour?) could've caused this! Poooor puppy. :sad:

Here's to a speedy recovery and no more flare ups!! :
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Sydney! I know that face though. My Shadow is allergic to bee stings and gets way more swollen than that. The lab Halo gets stung and swells up sort of like Sydney but she doesn't get sick. It's so good you caught this right away, fortunate I guess that whatever you've been feeding her has no corn products too. Speedy recovery Sydney.