Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 26th, 2019, 09:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Unhappy JD may have a companion--advice needed

We have a loser in the county who uses our wooded township as a dumping ground and occasionally we see the stray cat. It's always a race to get them first since they rarely last more than a couple of weeks before they disappear. Our guess is that the coyotes, bobcats, bears, wolves, etc., are eating them.

There's been a white and orange cat out front for the past few days. I've been trying to entice it with kibble, but didn't have high hopes. It's totally nocturnal now and shy of people so probably well on its way to being feral, if it survives that long.

But last night, while I was crouched down, trying to tempt her out, a smaller, dilute tortoiseshell cat came running out to beg for food and rub against my legs. Such a sweety. Smaller than JD (who is only 7 lbs), but very social, isn't afraid of dogs, and skinny as a rail. (We're wondering if the other cat is its mom?)

"Dusty" has a vet appt for tomorrow where s/he will get shots, a checkup, and some Revolution. I have an email into the local shelter but likely we'll either have found it a place or decided to try it with JD before they get back to me, if they even have a place for it...

So, some questions...

Are we smoking dope to think that might work--I mean, an introduction and possible adoption with JD (who is 3 yrs and something old?). The area for JD is lovely--lots of windows in a finished part of the basement looking out onto a garden and bird feeders, lots of toys, room for two litter boxes that get cleaned multiple times a day--but it's also a small area. It's basically a room about 24' long and 12' wide.

We don't even know if it's a boy or a girl.

And if that other cat is its mother, is it cruel to keep them apart? The other cat appeared to be looking for it--it stuck around, pooped on the patio (to our knowledge, it's never been in the yard before), and ate the kibble I put out for it... At what age is a kitten self-sufficient and safe to be from mom? Dusty is probably at least 3 - 4 months old. By then it would be weaned, wouldn't it?

*sigh*

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions are welcome!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 26th, 2019, 11:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just a small update. I think Dusty might be a 'she', and maybe older than she looked at first. Now I'm praying she's not pregnant... Is that likely this time of year?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And a picture. I had to close her in the crate to get far enough away to focus with the camera--she kept coming over to rub against my ankles and I had a longer lens on the camera

Name:  Dusty 8-26-19.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  109.1 KB

Old August 26th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

such losers everywhere I guess.
Buuuuut - wow what a sweetie both you and Dusty are!
I think 3-4 Mos is enough that if she can tolerate JD, kitty hit the jackpot...regardless of the size of the room.
By then she should be weaned, i believe. she's a cutie - that's for sure
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 26th, 2019, 05:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

This whole thing just breaks my heart. And if we can't get the orange-and-white stray, there will be an unhappy ending to that story that will break my heart further. People can be so cruel...

But I guess I should just focus on the fact that we were able to save Dusty. We'll see how the vet visit goes tomorrow

Old August 26th, 2019, 07:09 PM

Dusty is sure a great looking little girl. Best of luck at the vet tomorrow.

Our thoughts will be with you while you're trying to capture the white and orange tabby.