Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Cheap, temporary backyard fencing for my Bichon

Hi everyone:

I'd like to setup some temporary fencing in my backyard to keep my bichon located in one area. Right now he has full run of the whole backyard and he's been digging and getting into stuff he shouldn't.

Does anyonoe have any ideas as to how to setup some fencing. Is it easy to do? Can I find the materials at a home improvement store? What type of stuff should I look for.

Right now I'm thinking of using poles and attaching some kind of fencing materials to it. My dog isn't really a jumper. I think I'm just looking for a barrier to guide him in one area of the yard.

Here's a photo of my yard:

Thanks.

Cheryl.

Last edited by mason204; February 9th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

until you do get something you'd better make sure you're always out there with him so he won't get into anything.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

We stay outside with our guys when they're out. They would not be happy cooped up in a corner of the yard somewhere anyway. We fill in the holes if they dig them and protect special plants or trees that we don't want them to mess with. It's been a constant training thing the past year, but they were starting to get better by the end of last summer.

Cindy
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

lattice would work
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Chicken wire.
We used it for all our dogs to give them an area right outside the back door. A few cedar posts are cheap and the chicken wire is dirt cheap.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the advice so far.

Some background...we don't normally let the dog into the backyard for hours at a time....we always walk our dog.

Problem is, there's been so much snow lately that my dog will not walk farther than a block before the salt starts bothering his feet. I've been searching for some inexpensive boots for him to wear but at this time of year they're difficult to find.

It's also been -20C some days and when he just has to go "poop", a quick outing in the backyard is preferable than exposing him to frostbite.

Finally, I am going through chemotherapy treatments and when I'm the only one at home during the day, my only option is to let him out to the backyard if he really has to go. He's a great companion and friend.

It is for these reasons that I'm looking for "temporary" fencing. Once the snow's gone and the weather improves, this will be a "non issue".

Thanks for your understanding.
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck with the chemo, do you have a farm store near you? some of that orange (plastic) snow fencing might be what you need till the snow leaves....a couple of broomsticks from the dollar store would be strong enough to keep a bishon in.
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think an expandible baby gate would work there for you.

Cindy
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Skylar's Farm

Cheryl, it would be great if you could secure that area for your dog....I wish more people thought that way. There are always times when a pen is a blessing. Who can walk a dog or sit outside when they are not feeling well? I had open heart surgery a couple of years ago, and was I ever glad that we had already made a very large dog pen. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with tying on a rope or losing my dog on 5 acres.
Anyway, you could use lattice sheets, or the rolls of plastic wind break fencing.
I used corn crib wire, but it's hard to handle and costs more.
Chicken wire tends to bend and sag, but we are talking about a little doggie, so it would do in a pinch.
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM

(slightly off topic)
Building a fenced-in in area, directly connected to the back door, is a great way to give a dog lots of time outdoors all year 'round without having to be watched. I mean an area perhaps 30 X 30 feet. When I was growing up, we did it in several homes we lived in where the full backyard wasn't fenced. In warm weather, the dog could spend as long as he or she liked outside. In winter, we'd shovel some paths -- one around the perimeter, and then a couple of cross paths. Made for easy trotting around the the dog without getting a lot of ice stuck in paws, made it easy to find the dog dirt and scoop it up. And we could stand at the back door and toss a ball for the dog around the paths. Or funnier, into the deep snow in between paths and watch her leap and snorfle around, coming up with a beard full of snow looking like Santa. Some days she would climb up on one of the mounds of snow between the trails and sit there like Snoopy atop his doghouse, surveying the rest of the yard.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry that your are going through the chemo - hope you feel better soon. Everyone has given you great ideas. We do not have a fenced yard - pointless at any rate - when we had a Beagle followed by Dachshunds, they could just dig out - and now that we have a 22 lb. Eskimo - well he can jump a five ft. fence from standing position - and would then break his neck. All of the dogs could climb a baby fence regardless of size. There is also the matter that if I am not there, forget them going out. RE THE BOOTS, well outside of the brand new Muttluks that have been hanging in the closet for 4 years and the latest Pawz that we have - as well as the invisible boot - there are stores in Toronto that still have all 3 items in stock (I know this because my dog goes once a week to be socialized at his Groomer's and she carries all of this stuff and as my guy arrives walking on one leg I point to them hanging on the wall - and again to our own supply when we get home. It is funny to see some dogs refuse to leave the premises when picked up when their Moms forget to put their boots on - wish I had that problem. Invisible Boot helps some, but then my guy does like the taste of it - should probably just add some bitter apple to further enhance the flavour. He is going to turn 5 April 1 and is as much a puppy as he was at 14 weeks - apparently an Eskie trait. I hope that you find something that works for you - I am thinking Lattice as well - with no way to dig under. A couple of times during our really bad snow/cold days I have attached a 10 ft. tether to his collar and put him in the laneway so that he could reach the snow on far side to first eat it and then do his business - well wet at any rate. Unfortunately our back door is at the side of the paved laneway.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM

You could probably use one or two x-pen's to create a movable temporary fence. For a cheaper solution, some plastic mesh fencing with a few poles to secure it would probably work.
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I went looking for fencing and realized I'd be paying about $40+ just for the "mesh alone". Slightly more than I'm willing to pay right now.

While in Buffalo, I bought a tether with a 15 foot leeway. So far it's working fine. Because of his small size, he hasn't been able to pull it out of the ground. We've had some warming lately so I was able to hammer it into the ground. He can run down the deck stairs and do his "business" nearby. When we call him, he comes to the back door and we unhook him.

The other night I was feeling kinda sick and let him out in the backyard for a few minutes to "do business". I heard him barking in the direction of the back of the yard where it's dark. I'm assuming raccoons since we have a real problem with them. Since he was on a tether, I could limit his reach and was easily able to bring him in. You just never know what he'd do with a raccoon.

So far, so good. I can't wait for the warm weater. It can't come soon enough.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Most of the raccoons around here would be twice the size of a bichon. I would worry about how the dog would fair against them.
I'm glad you found a solution that's working well for you.

Cindy
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

We also have a tether - a 2 part unit - but if our 22 lb. Eskie is attached to it, we are out there with him. We also have the raccoon problems - not to mention the skunk that lives behind the shed next door. So far the skunk - and her litter - have given my guy a pass and I can't figure out why. I have my supplies ready but am worried about his eyes being sprayed. A skunked white dog is not a pretty sight. Also I think the raccoon family could take him.