Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM

Question Cat panting and growling for no apparent reason..?

Hi-first time poster but very glad to be here!
Quick question-I have a female cat a little over a year and lately (about 2 months or a little more) ive noticed that every so often, maybe every 2 or 3 weeks at most, she takes a spell of meowing alot, which I always attributed to being in heat since I haven't had a way to get her to the vet to have her spayed (our car broke last winter and cats aren't allowed on buses!) but lately shes also been panting somewhat heavily and pacing from room to room while growling or mewling at nothing at all-this usually lasts a few days then shes fine again...i just worry about her because ive never had a cat to PANT before-also just noticed tonight i was demonstrating to my husband HOW she was panting and she got VERY, VERY upset at my panting too and actually leapt at me and attacked me before running off! Shes always playful but never that agressive-any ideas?
RECAP-symptoms are-
-Panting
-meowing/mewling
-growling
-pacing
-last 2 or 3 days
No other changes-still eats fine and uses litter box fine, totally indoor cat too, and NOT spayed yet...
Any help MUCH appreciated along with ideas to FIX the problem/ways to help!
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She may be in heat but I have never experienced such behaviour in a cat while in heat (not that I have had too much experience with unspayed cats). Any cat who has a change in personality needs to see a vet for blood work and at the same time get her spayed.

Do you have a family member or friend who can drive you?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Cool

Sadly no the only family who lives near here is my mother and she can't drive due to frequent blackouts. But my father in law is coming down to visit later this month so i'm hoping he'll drive me...
I really cant afford to spend alot on pricey testing if its nothing-what do you think could be causing it? I plan to tell the vet everything but sometimes they want you to get things done as a precaution that later you find you you didn't really have to have. I can't afford extra things-my animals get their shots at the vet, but i buy the wormer and flea care at a local souther states and do it myself. is there anything i could get that may help...
Thanks!
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
~Cat Servent~

Many areas have programs to help lower income people fix/care for their pets... you should try looking around to see if there are any in your area, here there is a group called SNIP that helps pay for spay/neuter, and the owner ends up paying anywhere from $20-50 depending on how much they can afford. That may help you get her spayed sooner. That way you'll know if that is the problem. Her symptoms do sound a bit more than the usual heat though... the growling and panting especially are cause for concern as those could indicate that she is in physical pain. that you can get her in soon!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any updates??

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM

I am on my fourth female cat and a male. My vet at the time was only a block away. So i did not have an issue with transportation. I have seen female cats go absolutely nuts when going into heat. My first, she did tear down all the blinds in my house. In a week she went from a gentile pretty kitty to tearing my house to shreads! She actually tried jumping through the glass in the windows after tearing my curtains and blindes to shreads.

Middle of the night all sorts of cat screaming and tearing. During the day she was an angel.

If you can't pay for spaying check with your animal shelter and see if they give coupons. That can often make the difference between 100 dollars and 25 dollars for local vets.

This crap happened about 10 years ago on my first cat. I am now 52 years old.

At the least case if you can't afford spaying, wrap the cat in a towel and trim it's nails so it can't claw your house to shreads!