Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 13th, 2008, 03:03 AM

My cat is sick and nothing seems to work...

Hi everybody,

Let me start off by stating that my cat has already been to the vet and checked out (blood test, check-up and given fluids).

My 12 year old cat hasn't been himself over the past three weeks to a month now. He stopped eating, drinking water, vomiting about once or twice a day, not passing stools, his behavior has become very passive and withdrawn (doesn't meow anymore) and a couple of weeks ago took him to the vet. The vet doesn't really know why he stopped eating, the bloodwork didn't show anything unusual, and perscribed antibiotics and forcefeeding of food that was mixed with water from a syringe. I have now been forcefeeding him about four to six times daily with water as well the last 2 weeks, with the idea of avoiding fattyliver (vets main concern) and reintroducing him to food.

The problem is that although the amount I feed him has increased, he still shows no interest in eating or drinking on his own and still spends alot of time trying to pass stools with little sucess. He also vomits about 2-3 times daily, sometimes its food, sometimes it just saliva, it appears to occur whether we feed him or not.

The reason for this post is I hope to find possible reasons for my cats current poor state (since the vet was unable to give me an answer), solutions to improve his health, as I don't want to see my cats quality of life continue to detirorate and see him suffer on a daily basis.

I am also a student, and have spent over $400.00 on two visits, tests and food and am on a very limited budget, so I hope to have enough knowledge about my cats health so the next time a go to the vets office I'm not spending hundreds of additional dollars figuring out what to do with my cat.

Thank you for your help and consideration, and send out some good vibes for my cat...
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM

so sorry

hi there.

so sorry to hear about your baby's problems. i have no advice to offer, but there are plenty of people on this board with lots of knowledge and experience who i'm sure will respond. it's very hard when you've spent a lot of money and are still left with no answers. i'll cross my fingers for your kitty . two of my girls are eleven, so i can relate - it's so hard as they get older!

tracy
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Has the vet done any xrays to look for blockages, how about an enima to help clean out his poor colon? Here is an article I found for you to read to see if it applies to your kitty

http://pets1st.ca/articles/00046Cons...AndYourCat.asp

The only thing I can suggest is to see another vet for a second opinion, take with you a copy of the blood work results if you decide to do this.
Good luck and keep us informed!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just wondering what type of food you feed, kibble or canned. A lack of water can cause constipation and as a cat gets older, their bodies don't work quite as well.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Sounds very much to me that your cat is constipated.

I saw someone else here suggesting an enema - for God's sake, don't usea "human" enema. That can be very dangerous.
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ation_cautions

And, unless a Vet has demonstrated giving an enema, it should not be tried by a "layperson". This has been going on so long now that the stool may be impacted.

Did the Vet check (palpatate the abdomen) for constipation? What was found? Did he suggest anything? Why on earth give antibiotics when you say the bloodwork was normal (no blood cell abnormality) i.e. no sign of infection?????

I'm also thinking that, either you're inadvertently not providing all the information from the two Vet visits - or - it's past time to find a competent Vet!

So, unless there's more to the story, I'd recommend you find another Vet -

Perhaps if you post where in the city you're located, someone else from Calgary on the board could provide another Vet practice...

This really needs to be resolved quickly.

Once it is resolved, you'll need to build in some prevention measures for the future...ensure a good quality wet food, adequate water intake and perhaps including something natural in the diet, perhaps lactulose or slippery elm bark.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
I saw someone else here suggesting an enema - for God's sake, don't usea "human" enema. That can be very dangerous.
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ation_cautions

And, unless a Vet has demonstrated giving an enema, it should not be tried by a "layperson". This has been going on so long now that the stool may be impacted.
I'm pretty sure Love4himies meant that a vet should give the enema.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM

a second vets opinion would be a good idea, with copies of the blood tests you have all ready so you are not paying again for that. perhaps if some here knew where you lived the area, they could recommend a vet that is good? As someone mentioned, an xray may be the best idea.. the fact that he is straining to go is a sign that an xray would be most beneficial to see what is going on with his tummy, colon, if it is constipation there are many things, treatments that can help. someone else also asked and i will too.. what are you feeding him/her? diet can play a big part as well. ideally once you know what is going on a wet food, preferably grain free is the best way to go for their digestion, and for their getting the proper intake of water, i know most have mentioned all this all ready for your kitty..
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the advice...

I just want to thank everybody for their concern and advice. It is much apprciated.

We have been feeding him alot more wet foods as he has gotten older, such as fancy feast wet canned, coupled with Iams dry food for years.

I will be taking my cat back to vet tomorrow for x-rays and check for blockages, but when I spoke to the vets office today they were recommending that we do bloodwork again? I don't think that would be necessary considering we did that on the last visit only 13 days ago and his condition has remained essentially identical. Does anybody have any experience with this, I hate to say this, but I'm starting to feel a little hosed.

Again, thanks for all the care, concern and advice. Give my cat all your good vibes...
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd say no to the bloods for now, but an xray will rule out a blocage, which really is an emergency. I wouldn't let them load you up with a different antibiotic either, unless there is a solid diagnosis. The vet is the expert but don't be shy about asking questions, for the sake of your cat and your wallet.

Last edited by badger; March 15th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM

So, let me play this back...and, please correct me if I'm wrong...but, this is what I'm hearing:

There's been a major change in your cat's health and behaviour. You take the cat to a Vet...twice...you're charged "over $400"...the health problems have not been corrected. You then join this forum and say
Quote:
The reason for this post is I hope to find possible reasons for my cats current poor state (since the vet was unable to give me an answer), solutions to improve his health, as I don't want to see my cats quality of life continue to detirorate and see him suffer on a daily basis.
and
Quote:
...I hope to have enough knowledge about my cats health so the next time a go to the vets office I'm not spending hundreds of additional dollars figuring out what to do with my cat...
Then, people on the forum reply...good "vibes" are sent your way, someone sends you some educational information about a simple medical problem - constipation - (which did not seem to have been addressed in your original account of the Vet treatmment previously received) AND they also say "see another vet for a second opinion"...another member says agrees that it sounds like constipation and suggests you find another Vet...a third person says "a second vets opinion would be a good idea"...then you come back and say
Quote:
I just want to thank everybody for their concern and advice. It is much apprciated....I will be taking my cat back to vet tomorrow for x-rays and check for blockages, but when I spoke to the vets office today they were recommending that we do bloodwork again? I don't think that would be necessary considering we did that on the last visit only 13 days ago and his condition has remained essentially identical. Does anybody have any experience with this, I hate to say this, but I'm starting to feel a little hosed...
I'm sorry, but I'm just left scratching my head.

You've asked for advice, you received it.....you say thank you, but indicate that you intend to ignore it...and then you ask for more????????

And, what's more intriguing...you're feeling like you've been 'hosed' by the Vet, so you're going back for more??????

I know I'm being very blunt with you. My intention is ONLY to mirror back to you what I am picking up. Frankly, unless you're willing to discuss what members have said to you - or state something thay might indicate you've given some consideration and thought to what they have said....then I don't know what else we could do for you.

I'll give it one more try - and reply to what you said about the food you're using. First, it's good that you're feeding "a lot more wet foods". If you're going to use Fancy Feast, I will urge you NOT TO FEED THE GRAVY TYPES. The gravy is made with wheat. GRAINS ARE BAD FOR CATS. Here is a list of some NON-GRAVY Fancy Feast varieties http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

Iams dry food ALSO HAS GRAIN...again GRAINS ARE BAD FOR CATS. Find a grain-free dry food to replace Iams.

And, maybe I'll try again: my advice and experience says FIND ANOTHER VET too!
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I agree with these who think your cat is constipated. I would go for x-rays with my cat, but ... If I were out of money, I'd consider something else. What would x-rays show? Blockage, if there is one, but what kind of blockage? Probably very dried feces which are stuck in colon. Older cats develop constipation sometimes, like old men do. Their smooth muscles around their intestines become weak and "lazy", so they push their contents too slowly. Combined with low water consumption, it contributes to very intense constipation. Using some enema could release his colon very quickly, but ... You can not be sure there isn't some blockage (like tumor) inside his rectum, so without x-rays you must not apply enema, neither you could do it yourself. But who am I to give such advices? I am not trained vet, so don't believe me (trained vet is that one who took you $400 for nothing).

I must not tell you doses. I didn't give you any advice, either. All you saw here are some "loud thoughts" of mine. I wish I could help you.

Last edited by Blathach; March 19th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: DO NOT GIVE ADVICE TO SELF MEDICATE!!!
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

In Canada, only vets can prescribe those meds, Deda Bred. Notwithstanding all the intelligent people who would use them wisely (if they had the correct dosage and other information), there are many more who would not and thereby put their animals at risk. I cannot believe that is your objective.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
... Notwithstanding all the intelligent people who would use them wisely (if they had the correct dosage and other information), there are many more who would not and thereby put their animals at risk. I cannot believe that is your objective.
You are right, that's why I don't suggest anything to anyone. I've figured out how it is in Canada (and I've also figured out that your vets aren't as good as someone would expect knowing their fees). I clearly wrote "But who am I to give such advices? I am not trained vet, so don't believe me", and that I would do this and that. I could adduce correct dosages but I didn't, just because of the prior reason.

Many regards from Deda

Last edited by Blathach; March 19th, 2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I'm pretty sure Love4himies meant that a vet should give the enema.

Thanks sugarcatmom, absolutely I meant a vet to give the enema (never crossed my mind that the poster would give it )

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda Brada View Post
As far as I know butter is digestive, being animal fat. Maybe large quantity works well, but I should always be afraid that cat would digest it. I never tried it, after all my cats don't like butter at all (though I have read that cats are very fond of it).
Melted butter mixed in with canned food might help (my cat only likes butter if he licks it off my toast - I think he's really just after my toast!). Someone I know feeds her cats oily canned tuna if she suspects they're a little constipated. I've never tried that one either cause Aztec, freak that he is, doesn't like tuna that much.

Quote:
For the same reason I never tried neither psyllium nor vegetables you mentioned. How do you manage giving those things to your cats?

The psyllium can be mixed with something tasty like plain meat baby food, but extra water is the key or it has the potential to make things worse. Some cats like the taste of pumpkin by itself, but if not, that can also be mixed with baby food (only need a tsp).

Another one I forgot about is aloe vera juice (without sodium benzoate, emodin or aloin; preferrably inner-leaf aloe if available). It's very gentle and helps improve motility (which can be an issue for older cats). Only 4-5 drops are needed, which can be mixed with food or syringed into mouth.

My favourite is still Slippery Elm bark, because it's also soothing to the lining of the digestive tract and my cat eats it eagerly if mixed in baby food.

But you're right, these are all fairly mild supplements that probably won't do much in an emergency. Being a sort of "hippy" type person, I just prefer to try natural substances at the first sign of trouble, rather than have things get out of hand and require "chemical" intervention.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
What would your vet use instead of mineral oil? If there is something better for this purpose, please let me know, I'll appreciate it.
Ground Flaxseed -Organic non-genetically altered- put 1 tsp in a glass dish add in enough hot water to make slimey but not too slimey, keep in fridge & add small amounts to the food ~ tip of the teaspoon - add this to each meal.

Prevention is the key to stopping constipation before it gets to be an emergency situtation

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by Blathach; March 19th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Melted butter mixed in with canned food might help (my cat only likes butter if he licks it off my toast - I think he's really just after my toast!). Someone I know feeds her cats oily canned tuna if she suspects they're a little constipated. I've never tried that one either cause Aztec, freak that he is, doesn't like tuna that much.

The psyllium can be mixed with something tasty like plain meat baby food, but extra water is the key or it has the potential to make things worse. Some cats like the taste of pumpkin by itself, but if not, that can also be mixed with baby food (only need a tsp).

Another one I forgot about is aloe vera juice (without sodium benzoate, emodin or aloin; preferrably inner-leaf aloe if available). It's very gentle and helps improve motility (which can be an issue for older cats). Only 4-5 drops are needed, which can be mixed with food or syringed into mouth.

My favourite is still Slippery Elm bark, because it's also soothing to the lining of the digestive tract and my cat eats it eagerly if mixed in baby food.

But you're right, these are all fairly mild supplements that probably won't do much in an emergency. Being a sort of "hippy" type person, I just prefer to try natural substances at the first sign of trouble, rather than have things get out of hand and require "chemical" intervention.
You wouldn't believe if I told you that my cat (that one who suffers from heart and liver diseases, she needs something against her constipation) didn't want to taste various baby foods I tried. Neither she wanted canned tuna, sardines... nor raw meat (which I read is good for liver). When I try to offer her canned food, she turns her head and walks away. She drives me crazy. There is only one type of dry food which she eats, so I have to stock it or else... I would have to cut my veins, I suppose.

Aloe vera juice is something I can try (by syringe, well known procedure) and I'll do it if I find pure one.

Slippery Elm bark? Well, you know my situation.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Ground Flaxseed -Organic non-genetically altered- put 1 tsp in a glass dish add in enough hot water to make slimey but not too slimey, keep in fridge & add small amounts to the food ~ tip of the teaspoon - add this to each meal.

Prevention is the key to stopping constipation before it gets to be an emergency situtation
As I can recall we were talking about emergency. I don't believe that anyone would use that in case of emergency. I see that you can't imagine how strong constipation some illnesses cause, before you notice.

If you could prevent everything, doctors would become useless. Many of them would commit suicide. But why do we argue? I'll do what I usually do, and the same goes for you. When I see my cat in pain, I can't wait another day to dawn. I must do something.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I see that you can't imagine how strong constipation some illnesses cause, before you notice.
Perhaps you should stop making assumptions about what other people know.

I do know how bad constipation can become in cases of Chronic Renal Failure, last month I was on the phone, in the middle of the night, with the Emergency Vet Clinic because my CRF cat was constipated & vomiting. Their advice was to bring her in for sub-q fluids.

I would far prefer to prevent that scary episode from ever happening again than do nothing and have to bring her in multiple times for treatment.

For catlover76 I would recommend you try the ground flaxseed to naturally lubricate the stool & make it easier for your cat to pass. This was recommended to me by me Homeopath Vet for my cat with kidney failure.

How did the test results look? Did they find anything?

for you & your kitty

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Any updates on your kitty?
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ragdoll Mom

I can offer advice on Constipation...

Hello,

I had an issue with my kitty, he got severly constipated, had many of the same signs, since then the vet gave me a prescription for Lactulose, I have a bottle at home, as soon as I notice him not pooping or his poop being hard I give him the lactulose. Luckily now that I am aware of what is going on I mix the pumpkin with some tuna (he hates the pumpkin) and try to give him some at least twice a week so I haven't had to use the lactulose very often but it works like a charm.

I really feel for you and your kitty. I have had my share of issues with my ragdolls and feel like I am getting taken in by the vets. I just spent 600 on a torn nail this week, she is worse now then she was after we came home from emergency....it's soo hard to find a vet you can trust and won't exploit you when your weak and having to make serious decisions. Just my opinion.

I am glad I found this post I have learned some new tricks to try as an alternative to the pumpkin!

good luck and please keep us posted.