Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

HGE - please help!

Hi:
My 5 year old min pin is suspected to have HGE. He has been having very bloody diarrhea for the past day. I took him to the vet this morning, where he still is now, hooked up to an IV (including receiving 150ccs of Bolus). My vet 's office is not a 24 hour care center. However, he has told me that he checks the dog prior to leaving for the night and if doing okay, he does not recommend that the dog be transferred to a 24 hour facility. I, however, am nervous about my dog being left alone at night. What if he takes a turn for the worse and there's no one there to discover that? So my question is whether I should have him transferred to a 24 hour hospital. It will be more expensive, though I'm not so concerned about that as I am about him (1) enduring the transfer (during which he will not be hooked up to an IV, I assume) and (2) being in a bigger hospital with potentially more chaos and less individualized attention. Any thoughts on whether to leave him at the vet or transfer to a 24 hour facility, please?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minpinowner View Post
I, however, am nervous about my dog being left alone at night. What if he takes a turn for the worse and there's no one there to discover that?
I personally would not leave my pets unattended at a vet clinic overnight, especially if hooked up to an IV. It's too easy for the IV line to get tangled or pulled out.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks. Yes, I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to transfer him to the 24 hour facility. The good news is that the vet said he is responding well to the medication and IV. Very scary though!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

hi there, i know only too well about min pins , i have 5, and we had a few big probelms with them, my vet is 24 hrs, and i try my hardest to bring them home, i would transfer, but thats just me, hope your little one is getting better soon all the best brenda and the pins.