Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old March 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Cali has just a fews day left! (Help)

I rec'd a phone call last night, they are ready to send Calin the Calico to the SPCA, if there is anyone in the Montreal area that can foster or wants to adopt Cali please let me know.

I would hate to see anything bad happen to this cat, she is so beautiful!
Thanks
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope these people know they will be sending her to die alone and terrified among strangers, but I guess they don't give a damn. This is really disgusting....

I'm sending you a PM.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Cali

LR, they do give a damn, they took this cat in off the streets with her 4 kittens 2 years ago, and found good homes for them all !This is a retired couple who are going to move to NB to be with their grandchildren. (the grandchildren are extremely allergic).

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things, and in their case it is the cat for their grandchildren. They have tried for over a month to find this girl a home with no luck.

I personally commend them for taking in mom and her kittys and not sending them to the SPCA.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Are they really that allergic tho? Don't jump down my throat but I get so upset every time I hear that excuse. I am a pediatrician and I can tell you there aer few allergies that require one actually givng up a cat. I have patients with immunocompromised systems wdue to leukemia and AIDS and aplastic anemia. They would NEVER part with their cats or dogs or bunnies even though any close interaction with these animals is 10 times the worst allergy. So I have little sympathy for that argument.

I am also huffed at the blame the doctor thing to be frank - or rather use "the doctor said". Doctors are pushed all the time to so just that - they do not really want to. Sometimes the parents want to get rid of the animal and exaggerate the symptoms.

I am not saying people do not have severe allergies. Children do and some of them even have asthma. But this is not life threatening and there are medications and many thing that can be done.

Severe in my biz is dying! Anything else is small stuff. Sorry but that's been the kind of day I've had. I can't believe someone will let a cat go to die because of an allergy!

Last edited by CyberKitten; March 29th, 2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM

Cali

They don't want the cat to die, and as for how severe the allergies are, as far as I am concerned thats not my bussiness. I don't and won't even ask that. When someone has decided to give up a pet and asks for help I try to give it. You will not change most peoples minds once they have decided.

I for one am asthmatic, I use 2 different puffers daily, I overuse so that I can breathe and yes I am very allergic to my cats and most dogs. I know my health would be better without them, but I won't part with them.

Not everyone is me! And when you have a young child that suffers from this watching them gasp for air is enough to frighten most parents.

I just want to find the cat a home thats all.

Thanks
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM

I'll try to help

If the situation is really that desperate, pls. email me at harryis21@yahoo.com and I will see if I can help find a place for her through my vet. I cannot foster at this time as I have only enough space for a truly special-needs cat.

Lisa.

Last edited by canine14; March 29th, 2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I too have asthma aussie (COPD actually) and have to use oxygen occasionally - I know all about that. That is where a severe allergy goes. BUT I adopted a cat - will she hurt my health. Not likely! More than likley, she helps me - and my patients! With her antics, her cuteness in a bleak day. There are many steps one can take to reduce dander and to to over ome allergies.

I was not being critical of you nor of them personally but one of the top reasons people bring in pets to shelters is allergies so people are a little questioning about that excuse now. I know it is extreme but many SPCA's kill pets in a short period of time. (There are some notable exceptions).

I hope the cat finds a home.