Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Water consumption down - could it be because of meds?

So this is my first post and I'm hoping I can get some advice.

My dog hasn't been well for a while now, he's a 7 year old chocolate lab. He's been on Synthroid 0.088mg 2xday for about a 14 months. We switched brands a couple months ago after a few increases on the other brand. He's also on potassium bromide 500mg (4mls) for about 6 months. Up until 2 days ago he drank so much water all the time (huge amounts). Now 3 days ago I had him at the vet for a rash and diareah and the vet put him on cephalexin, he gets 1250mg 2xday and metronidazole he gets 750mg 2xday. Now he's still eating fine but hardly touching his water I am wondering if one if these medications could be making him less thirsty? Is this something I should worry about? He is still drinking a little but I have no idea how much a dog actually needs, and if he could damage anything by not drinking enough. I have read up on these new medications and all I could find is side effects saying increased water consumption. If anyone has any input I would really appreciate it!
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

you should call you vet and see what they say Have you tried adding water to your dog food to increase his water intake?
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM

He gets wet food mixed in with his dry, and he is still drinking. It was just such a drastic change in amounts that I worried. I have to go by the vets tonight to get dog food so I'm ask then, I was just thinking maybe someone else knew a little more about these meds or had experience with them.
Old July 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Is the wet food new or increased? That could fulfil some of his water needs if so.

Ceph can be hard on ome dog's stomachs, but I would expect more water consumption, but maybe there is individual variation?

Switching to a generic thyroid med, may or may not produce the same result. Some dogs don't do as well on it. If the generic is providing less thyroid, it's possible that he had too much thyroid med. What is his weight? Have you checked the thyroid levels after switching?

Sounds like he is a seizure dog - have tick diseases been ruled out?