Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:18 AM

Chica is Developing Many Spot Rashes!?

Hi!

About 4 months ago I got my babygirl Chica. She is a American/Rednose Pitbull, when i got her she was very healthy with some rashes on her neck which soon went away. About 2 weeks ago she started developing these weird rashes all over her skin and I have no idea what it could be and i just want them to go away! All the rashes start with dead skin that peels off with a little bit of hair and then it leaves a whitish spot or a scab. Here are a few pics. Please Please Please help me as this is my first puppy and I love her dearly.

Any help is extremely appreciated, Thanks so much!
Attached Images

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Time to get your baby to a vet...this dog needs medical care.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:11 AM

you have no clue what it could possibly be? And how much treatment will be??
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Hi LoveAngel:

Rashes can be caused by a variety of things - parasites (internal & external), allergies, or even genetic conditions that can be passed on. With so many different factors involved, you would really need to take your dog to the vet to be sure. Those scabs look painful for the dog and you wouldn't want it to get any worse.

The only suggestion I can give in the meantime is to make sure that your dog is on a good quality food. I think one of the main causes of rash is food allergies. Maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion shortly - but I know everyone will agree that you need to take your dog to the vet.

The initial visit should be around $50 - $70, I would think, and they won't do any treatments without your consent.
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I wonder could it be ringworm? Have a real close look and if the hair looks as if it has broken off close to the skin I'd get her to the vet to see if those spots flouresce under a Woods lamp.Some dogs only get one or two ringworms but I've seen horses covered with them. Haven't seen it bad in dogs though. Could be anything though. It's important you know because if it is ringworm, it's contagious, to you as well as to other animals.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM

I actually currently do feed her good food, but i am starting to think that it is too high in protein so i am switching her from Origin Large Puppy to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. I've heard this works wonders...dont worry iv started the slow transition of switching foods by mixing and gradually adding more of natural balance.

AS FOR HER SKIN, i am almost 100 percent sure it is ringworm now because i have similar rashes on my skin and I went to my doctor and she told me it was ringworm and was likely i got it from a dog..if i had one. So what my plan is now is to bleach clean the house to kill as much of the spore as possible and then get her on the right medication..if she does need any. I am short for cash and would rather not pay the initial visit cost of the vet.

Does anybody know exactly what medication the vet would prescribe for ringworms?

And no she is in no pain.
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Cheapest cure for ringworm, LoveAngel, is Tincture of Iodine, if you can buy it at your Chemist(Pharmacy) there. Just paint it on the ringworms. Otherwise you'll have to wait for someone with a better memory than mine to tell you the name of the med's she needs. I know I spent $500 on it, but that was for a pack of dogs, not one. Aah yes, found where I'd put it in a dog's book, they had to be washed with Betadine scrub twice weekly and had a Grisovin tablet daily. They also had Micotopic ointment on the lesions, blankets were washed in bleach etc. . You will have to quarantine her, it is so infectious that my cat, Pheobe, had to only pat my dog on its face to pass it on to him. I videoed this dog and his sister's first meeting with the cat and everywhere it put its feet, those dogs got ringworm. Its feet flouresced when the vet put the Woods Lamp on them. LOL. I'm not horrified by it, each time I've bought new kittens in I've had all the dogs get ringworms. I vow that next time the kitten gets checked by the vet first and even then I might still quarantine it. One female cattle dog got the most horrifying huge ringworm on her muzzle, although I suspect it was just a lot of small ones joined together. Good luck with Chica.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM

Thank you so much Goldfields! I will follow your instructions and update you, much appreciated.

Tags
dog, hair, rash, scab, skin