Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Exclamation Dog shot with air pallet gun...

She was the next dog shot with an air pallet-gun from an unknown idiot. She can not move her back legs and the bullet is still inside her body. We brought her to the vet and they said that that the bullet is already about a week inside her body and it is too late to remove it. The dog is eating, drinking and it looks like she really wants to live. She wants to chase the flying bugs around her and wants to play, but she cant move much. She can not feel her back legs, tail and half of her body, She pees and poops but she can not feel I guess because she does it everywhere even if we hold her in our arms. The bullet is in her spine and this is a very risky place. The vet said that also an infection has started probably due to the bullet and even if she gets operated she will not get better. She also peed pus. Best case scenario she can be on a wheel chair for her back legs but in Bulgaria it will be difficult for adoption for a dog in this situation. This vet thinks that the best for the dog will be to put her to sleep. We want to ask for advise 2 more vets before we take the final decission. We have pictures from the x-ray and it is showing very clearly the bullet. Is is possible for you to see the pictures scan if we send it to you for an advise?
Another thing is that her legs are sweeping the ground when she tries to walk and she has wounds from it on her back legs.

I will keep you posted with the decision after we speak to the other 2 doctors.

She really wants to live and we really want to help her.

Please give me an advise what should we do? I feel so sad. She is a very smart and loving dog. If you have any suggestions or advise, please email us.

link edited by Marko Admin
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm a softy

My thoughts are with you, This is unbelievable. I have no advice, but what a hero you are to try to save this baby girl, I will be watching to see your updates. I will be praying for you and her.

Will they be trying to find this Schnickle*&#$fartz#$*& To make them pay for this sick disguting lowest of the low crime?
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If it was a gun that uses the metal beebee's rather than the plastic ones, then those can cause serious infection, similar to tetnus.

I would definitely seek at least a second opinion, if not a 3rd. Even if the pellet cannot be safely removed, surely the infection could be treated? If the vet is worried about paralyzing the dog during surgery, then that tells me there is a chance that the paralysis is not permanent already and is being caused by the pellet pressing against the spinal cord.

I wish you the best, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for the poor girl.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

My GSD was shot with a 12 gauge before I adopted him. All the fragments could not be removed and therefore I had to monitor them to ensure that they did not move to the heart. Every year there were x-rays to monitor. He passed at 15 (my beautiful Max) - heart failure not related to the fragments.

I would get another opinion. What do the x-rays say? Can it be operated? If the legs are dragging and there is no hope for even particial backend support or movement - I would seriously review your options.

I am so sorry that this has happened - which robbed this poor soul.

Karma, karma, karma to those who did this.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM

The dog is ok..did not get better nor worse. She was the whole day at the hospital for an
intravenous therapy because of the infection she has. The doctor said the
infection is from the bullet. We will fight to the end and pray she can be saved.
Thank you for all your replies. Please do post any advise or if you have experienced the same problem.:sad:

Last edited by Monkas; April 30th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm a softy

I will continue to have you both in my prayers.. and also pray that the responsible party pay for this. I can only imagine the outrage had it been a child that was shot with it, why this dog was treated this way I don't know, it is disgusting. Thank you for being the guardian angel for her.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
I will continue to have you both in my prayers.. and also pray that the responsible party pay for this. I can only imagine the outrage had it been a child that was shot with it, why this dog was treated this way I don't know, it is disgusting. Thank you for being the guardian angel for her.
Thank you lUvMyLaB<3

Unfortunately we dont know who shot the dog. But there are more cases on dogs shot in that area. We now installed 2 small cameras and we hope we capture the idiot. Another thing is that in Bulgaria no one follows the law. I dont think he will be sentenced.. the only thing they could do is take his gun away. In my dreams I imagine that I cut this idiot in pieces... but that is only in my dreams....
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM

Hello everyone.

You can go to our site and see the pictures from the xrays. They are in the same topic under more pictures at the bottom. Please let me know if you can give me any advise. Thank you
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM

My God...*cries*

This unbelievably horrid. Keeping you all in my thoughts. How is she doing today?
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingToLearn View Post
My God...*cries*

This unbelievably horrid. Keeping you all in my thoughts. How is she doing today?
Hi Wantingtolearn. Thank you for asking. She is not better nor worse. She has a huge appetite and drinks a lot of water. We try to spend most of our time with her. I can see in her eyes she wants to live:sad:. I cant believe this happened to her.:sad: She was just one stray dog who never had the chance to be loved.. How sad.. life is not fair. We pray and hope she will recover..
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM

This is awful the poor sweet girl, I hope she can recover from this Bless-her.
Will keep her in my thoughts
How can people be so cruel it is so sad to see this:sad:
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.