Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:14 AM

Coyotes- can't take much more of this

I am at my wits end with our night-time coyote visits. Last night, I was outside with Herc for his bedtime bathroom break, when 4-6 coyotes came at his from all angles and surrounded him. They circled him and took turns running up to him as if they were nipping at him. Contrary to reason.... I can't explain why they did this as he is so much larger than they are. Luckily he came out unscathed this time. (Not so lucky about a week ago, his bite wound is still healing) I pounded on the window and my husband came running out, and Herc came when we called him to us. The coyotes prowled for several minutes after we had Herc safely inside and eventually scampered off.

I had a long chat with a gentleman from Animal Control today. His best advice was to always have Herc on his leash.... the coyotes shouldn't approach Herc if he is that close to me. That is fine, but I cannot stress enough how scary it is for me to be outside, in the dark, I'm 5 months pregnant and I can hear them howling and yipping- and I can't see them!! So my temporary solution is that we now go out front (on leash of course) instead of out back.

My husband and I are planning to put up a fence or enclose a dog run area but I guess we need to wait for the ground to be soft enough. In the meantime..... we'll just have to persevere with the leash out front. Herc won't like it but at least he'll be safe.

The man at Animal control was very helpful and informative. He advised me that wildlife populations are very high this year in all of Southern Ontario. More deer/ foxes/ rabbits/coyotes etc. I will definitely be cautioning my neighbors and friends who have small dogs or even cats to not leave them unattended outside!!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottimom,scary encounter for sure!!Although I think Coyotes are beautiful animals,if I had them in my backyard I would be concerned,a fence is a must.
But even a fence might not keep Coyotes out.
I would definetly warn the neighbors,they have been known to kill small dogs and cats here in Oakville.
Don't they get scared and run away when you show yourself??
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I wish I had more time to go into the ordeal we had here about 12 years ago with a coyote. Our neighborhood was new and we had a lot of deer and wild turkey showing up since we had literally built our homes in the middle of theirs. Then we started hearing the coyotes howl. At first we weren't concerned because we only heard them at night and didn't see them. They were behaving like coyotes and staying in the woods so we weren't worried.

Then we started seeing a coyote in the day. At first we just caught a glimpse of him in the wooded area across the street. Then he was on the edge of the wood. So we called animal control and were told there was nothing they could do.

Then there was a report a day it seemed. This neighbor had seen him at the edge of her yard. That one had seen him (or more likely her) on the sidewalk when she out for the morning paper.

So this was scary. There were a lot of young children in the neighborhood then. We were very concerned.

Pretty soon it was common to see the coyote in the middle of the afternoon walking up a driveway. We couldn't let the kids come home from the bus unattended and we couldn't let them play outside. Animal control sent someone out to see but he said that they really couldn't catch it because it probably had pups in the woods and they didn't want to take it from it's pups. So I called the state about it. Their animal department said that the coyote was protected and we shouldn't worry unless it came out in the daytime. I said it was on our sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon.

We took video of the coyote walking through a yard on the next block, walking right under a swingset !! There were kids playing basketball in the background of the video.

So then animal control told me not to worry about it unless it started sniffing around small animals. A few days later we watched it prowling around the bushes and a minute later it dove in and came flying out with a cat in it's mouth !!

I was back on the phone and told them. They said "Don't worry about it unless it starts sniffing around small children." I said "Do I call you back when it has one in it's mouth ?" I told them that if they really wanted to protect the coyote they should come get it because a few of the people in the neighborhood who own guns were going to shoot it the next time they saw it. And she said--"Be aware that if they do we WILL prosecute."

It wasn't a long time after that the coyote disappeared and the deer population was out and about again. No one ever said who did it but there were rumors that a dad took care of the matter.

Anyway---I hope you are able to solve the problem. After that long story I really have no advice for you, except to be very careful !!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I wish I had more time to go into the ordeal we had here about 12 years ago with a coyote. Our neighborhood was new and we had a lot of deer and wild turkey showing up since we had literally built our homes in the middle of theirs. Then we started hearing the coyotes howl. At first we weren't concerned because we only heard them at night and didn't see them. They were behaving like coyotes and staying in the woods so we weren't worried.

Then we started seeing a coyote in the day. At first we just caught a glimpse of him in the wooded area across the street. Then he was on the edge of the wood. So we called animal control and were told there was nothing they could do.

Then there was a report a day it seemed. This neighbor had seen him at the edge of her yard. That one had seen him (or more likely her) on the sidewalk when she out for the morning paper.

So this was scary. There were a lot of young children in the neighborhood then. We were very concerned.

Pretty soon it was common to see the coyote in the middle of the afternoon walking up a driveway. We couldn't let the kids come home from the bus unattended and we couldn't let them play outside. Animal control sent someone out to see but he said that they really couldn't catch it because it probably had pups in the woods and they didn't want to take it from it's pups. So I called the state about it. Their animal department said that the coyote was protected and we shouldn't worry unless it came out in the daytime. I said it was on our sidewalk in the middle of the afternoon.

We took video of the coyote walking through a yard on the next block, walking right under a swingset !! There were kids playing basketball in the background of the video.

So then animal control told me not to worry about it unless it started sniffing around small animals. A few days later we watched it prowling around the bushes and a minute later it dove in and came flying out with a cat in it's mouth !!

I was back on the phone and told them. They said "Don't worry about it unless it starts sniffing around small children." I said "Do I call you back when it has one in it's mouth ?" I told them that if they really wanted to protect the coyote they should come get it because a few of the people in the neighborhood who own guns were going to shoot it the next time they saw it. And she said--"Be aware that if they do we WILL prosecute."

It wasn't a long time after that the coyote disappeared and the deer population was out and about again. No one ever said who did it but there were rumors that a dad took care of the matter.

Anyway---I hope you are able to solve the problem. After that long story I really have no advice for you, except to be very careful !!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Personally, I would be out back with a skeet shooting rifle loaded with blanks. That way it makes one heck of a roar and off the coyotes go. We had them at our place when I lived in Niagara and two farmers spent a week rotating nightly and shooting off blanks into the woods. The animals don't get hurt but it sure sends them a message that this property is not a good refuge for them. They took 12 turkeys out of my place, just gutted them and left them. The egg farmer down the road lost over 100 in a month. They kill for pleasure more than they kill for need. I have also know farmers to get a grape gun and set it up just off the border of the property. They don't like the pow sound either. Of course, make sure your neighbours are in agreement to rid the area of coyotes first.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM

Fences don't help?
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Doors didn't help my turkeys, they went over a 5' dutch door to drag them out. So I don't think fences would hold them back unless it's a cedar plank fence but farm areas don't have those as too costly..
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM

I've been told that they can easily jump a 6 foot fence, so you should build your fence at some sort of angle. Once we got Hercules inside the other night, my husband swore he saw one of them leap onto the air and high 5 another one.

I am hearing more and more scary stories. I guess I am thanking my lucky stars that something worse hasn't happened. I keep going back to the time I found Herc 'playing' with one of the coyotes. If I wasn't as paranoid as everyone says I am, and checking on him every 30 seconds ... who knows what might have happened that night.

The man at animal control also told me that the "good news" is that there have been no reported attacks on humans. Granted, that IS good news, but it alarms me a great deal that my shouts and screams the other night didn't scare them off. Not that they came close to me..... but they didn't go away.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

We have coyotes too. our fence is about 7 feet high, and they always stop at the fence, they have never jumped over, or tried to dig under it.

I heard very bright motion detector spot lights hlep keep them away, also try those little cherry bomb firecrackers, or a can filled with rocks or pennies, and shake them like crazy when you see them.
You might want to look or different kinds of repellents.

I do know how you feel though, because when I hear them all start to howl, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I wouldn't go out there if you paid me

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Boss-lady!

Where my mother's family lives in New Brunswick, they have something the locals call "bush dogs" or "bush wolves" that are part coyote (so they tell me) and part feral dog. Combines the innate instincts of both, plus they seem to fear people much less .

I think it may be possible that urban coyotes are much the same blend, so it may be hard to predict their actions based purely on wild coyotes. Of course, different environment probably means the same.

I hope Herc gets better soon and you have no more scary night encounters.

I just read the other thread about the red wolf hybrids. I wonder if that is what my relatives see and only think they are part dog?

Off kilter thought-If the coyotes have decided your yard is their territory, I wonder if your husband can use Farley Mowat's solution from "Never Cry Wolf" and mark your yard as HIS territory instead? LOL!!! It might work, but I's sure your neighbours might wonder ....

Last edited by Skryker; February 2nd, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats

I do know how you feel though, because when I hear them all start to howl, it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and I wouldn't go out there if you paid me
LOL, believe me, if they made litter boxes big enough for Hercules we wouldnt be going outside at all after 6 pm!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
Off kilter thought-If the coyotes have decided your yard is their territory, I wonder if your husband can use Farley Mowat's solution from "Never Cry Wolf" and mark your yard as HIS territory instead? LOL!!! It might work, but I's sure your neighbours might wonder ....
LMAO!! Now there's a suggestion I hadn't heard yet! At this point, I dont even think it's unreasonable at all............
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Boss-lady!

Be sure to post if you try it and it works.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I certainly understand your worry about Herc and I hope you find a safe solution.
It's just sad it has come to this,here in Oakville they are building monster-homes,where just a few years ago we had open fields and woods,the wild creatures robbed of their habitats:sad:and instances like yours,will be the result.
Sad for the people,pets,but also the Coyotes themselves:sad:
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
It's just sad it has come to this,here in Oakville they are building monster-homes,where just a few years ago we had open fields and woods,the wild creatures robbed of their habitats:sad:and instances like yours,will be the result.
Sad for the people,pets,but also the Coyotes themselves:sad:

I completely agree, chico2. I was born and grew up in Oakville. Oakville Town Centre now sits where my father's family's farm was. I can clearly remember when Hwy 5 was boonieville-nothing but farms, and Upper Middle Road was the outskirts of civilization. Last time I was anywhere down there, I couldn't believe that Hwy 5 is now Dundas Street and pretty much the center of town.

As for the people/animal interactions, I used to work for the company that answered the phones after hours for the Humane Society in Oakville. True but sad story:
A woman called because she saw a raccoon on her neighbour's roof and she wanted an Animal Control Officer out right away to trap and remove it. When I explained that the ACC would only come for injured animals, this woman's comment was "This is a nice neighbourhood! We have doctors in this neighbourhood! We don't want raccoons!".

What a shame to pay so much for that house with the ravine in the back yard, but expect it to be sanitized of wildlife.

Not to say, Rottiemom, that you want the coyotes in your back yard attacking Herc, but I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

I also agree. I was actually a bit nervous to even call Animal Control as I don't want the coyotes to be driven out of YET another home..... but of course I am feeling threatened by them and am concerned for the safety of Herc, and my neighbors and their pets etc.

I live in Hamilton, and once called Animal Control when I saw a very disoriented raccoon stumbling down a residential street in the middle of the day. He was obviously very very sick. Animal Control told me that if they found it and they did feel it was sick or injured, it would be pts. I was devastated, but I would have much rather him be pts humanely than be shovelled to death by someone.

So for now, a fence and leash it is. Hopefully a solution good for all.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Kitty Consort

Rottimom. I'm sorry for all you've been through with this worrisome issue. A fence and a leash seem the best protection for now. I hope this problem can be addressed for you.

Squirrels, raccoons and coyotes are all very prevalent throughout the Greater Vancouver area, common in parks, suburbs, even in the busy city.
I 've seen coyotes many times, and while their terrain is certainly being encroached on with development, I believe they are a highly adapabtle animal too.

I worry a lot about coyotes.
At 6 pounds, my dog is a likely target - I can never let him off leash. I've heard of small dogs being grabbed at while on-leash too, though this boldness would take a pretty desperate animal, I believe.

We have a 6-ft cedar plank fence at home, and so that gives me some sense of security when letting him out into the yard to do his business, though I keep it brief.

I lost a beautiful cat to a wild animal six years ago... its always been a mystery what exactly killed him..
I thought it "must' have been a coyote, but my understanding was that they took their kill to their den, while my cat's remains were left behind -a gruesome scene to say the least. The head was missing, and his fur was everywhere, indicating a fierce struggle)
This didnt sound like a coyote... or a raccoon, or dogs.. but something killed my lovely boy. An indoor cat who was inadvertently let outside, he didnt make it through one single night, heartbreaking bad luck. :sad:

I know coyotes are simply an animal looking to survive, and will take whatever they can find. Whenever I walk the park trails though, they are never far from my mind. They may be out of sight, but they're there.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Skryker,yes,part of the reason we bought in Oakville was because we were 5 min away from farmland and 30min from Toronto.
Luckily we live in an old area,nothing can change here and we get racoons,possums,groundhogs,rabbits,skunks etc... A million birds(seems like it) at my feeders and hawks who lunch on them:sad:
My cats are never out on their own,but as of yet,I've not seen any Coyotes around my house,but have heard from people who's dogs/cats have been killed or maimed by Coyotes.
I actually did not know they were protected,I thought,like last summer(or was it the summer before),when the MONR killed 9.000 racoons and foxes,coyotes would be on the list too.
Shamrock,what a terrible thing to have to discover,it could have been a Coyote or just a regular dog,racoons as far as I know,don't bother with cats,unless they feal threatened.

Last edited by chico2; February 3rd, 2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
owned by Tucker

I remember your last post about coyotes and Yes they attack in packs and will attack dogs. Try a starter pistol or an air horn, but I would warn neighbours first if there is any close. I have heard that they are acting strange this year, why?????
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover
Try a starter pistol or an air horn, but I would warn neighbours first if there is any close. I have heard that they are acting strange this year, why?????
A paintball marker might work, too. Makes a bit of noise and stings like the dickens, but it won't really hurt them (only it'll make them look really festive ).

They are acting very wierd this year. I'm thinking it's the odd weather we're having. Their natural prey isn't acting naturally (coming out of hibernation early and such), so neither are they.
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM

I thought coyotes were considered a 'pest' species and legal to shoot. Not that I'm advocating shooting them, but I did not think a person could be prosecuted for killing one.

I know some folks that had four 2-month-old puppies get taken by (they assume) coyotes. The mother dog had teeth punctures on her haunches and they assume a few of them attacked and distracted her while the others took the puppies.

Coyotes are opportunistic and crazy smart.

And flying carnivores such as eagles or hawk are notorious cat-killers. Cats are right about in the right range of their normal food sources, and they tend to rip carcasses apart.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
Well if your worried about the neighbors you could load a squirt gun or spray bottle to do the job lol.

I have a fenced run for my dogs that includes a roof. I use it, the roof, more for protection from hawks/eagles than coyotes but it could help for them too.

Spelling is an option
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
LOL, believe me, if they made litter boxes big enough for Hercules we wouldnt be going outside at all after 6 pm!
Have I got a story to tell, . A friend of mines Uncle is a pretty important man, and lives in a tiny house worth a large number with a lot of zeros after it. Any ways, they have two Poms that don't like the cold. Well in the basement they have a play area with a 2 foot high fence around it and in the corner the "Turdmaster 2000". It's a 6ft x 6ft x 2ft deep box filled with scoopable litter and a tiny fire hydrant in the center. Well when we were visiting over the holidays, we gave my gf the "grand tour" and Sprint felt the need to test it out. Probably made about a one pound scoop there.
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlecat
I thought coyotes were considered a 'pest' species and legal to shoot. Not that I'm advocating shooting them, but I did not think a person could be prosecuted for killing one.

I.

Maybe they need to be thinned out a little???

I'm a farmboy at heart....I don't see a reason not to shoot the aggressive ones if they are becoming that forward and dangerous.

Last edited by Gazoo; February 7th, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:54 PM
<-----nut ball

I vote for a motion sensor light. Go for the one with 2 or 3 flood lights on it. They are super easy to install yourself (takes 10 min tops!). That way you are all safe!
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
I vote for a motion sensor light. Go for the one with 2 or 3 flood lights on it. They are super easy to install yourself (takes 10 min tops!). That way you are all safe!
That'll just make it easier for the coyotes to see their prey!!!!
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo
That'll just make it easier for the coyotes to see their prey!!!!
They don't like to be "exposed" they try to stay in the shadows, so if your whole yard is lit, that should keep them out of the yard.

I wonder if zoo poo would work? Maybe try calling your local zoo, I know the zoo near uss sells the zoo animal poo, and apparently lion poo scares off even the most ferocious beast I think they also sell "silent roar" which is pellets scented with lion pee/poo.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Last edited by happycats; February 7th, 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
They don't like to be "exposed" they try to stay in the shadows, so if your whole yard is lit, that should keep them out of the yard.

I wonder if zoo poo would work? Maybe try calling your local zoo, I know the zoo near uss sells the zoo animal poo, and apparently lion poo scares off even the most ferocious beast

Coyotes don't care about lights... it'll scare them the first time or two but they'll keep coming back like a bad rash.

Zoo poo might work but unfortunately they just move on to the next property and harass them and their pets

Last edited by Gazoo; February 7th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here is another option http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/deer_sprayer.html
and another http://www.kickenass.com/
and this explains why killing coyotes only increases it's population! http://www.idausa.org/facts/coyotes.html

Last edited by happycats; February 7th, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo
Coyotes don't care about lights... it'll scare them the first time or two but they'll keep coming back like a bad rash.

Zoo poo might work but unfortunately they just move on to the next property and harass them and their pets
I lived in farm country for a few years, and I just couldn't understand how the answer to any so call "pest" problem was to shoot it:sad:

We have Coyotes here too, they come right up to my fence, and no one has lost a pet yet. Maybe that's because we also have a very large rabbit population.