Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old January 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Finally saying Goodbye...hopefully

6 years ago when I was in grade 10 I came home and found my dog laying in a hole that he had dug that day. When he didn't get up and come see me I knew that somehting was wrong. I was the only one home so I ran and phoned my brotehr telling him that something was wrong with Tobby(he was 10 and a black lab). I ran back outside to him and noticed that he threw up but didn't move his head. I was so scared and had no clue what to do. Minutes later ther rest of my family got home(Mom, dad, brother and brotehrs girl friend) and we rushed him to the closest vet(we lived in the country so it was atleast 15min away). When we got to the vet she said that he was already dead and probably dead for over 30 min(so I was the only one that saw him have his last breaths) she figured his stomach turned which often happens in large dogs. Now 6 years later I still cry over that day and the thought that I couldn't do anything for him. However I recently adopted an 8 yr old cat and love him so much that I am so paranoid that something is going to happen to him too that I watch him constantly like a mother would her child. Hopefully after a few weeks of having my cat around I will be able to relax and realise that he isn't my dog and not to worry about what happened in the past but look to the future and be happy with the moments I have right now.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

After my last olllllld doggy died, it took me a long time to stop watching my doggies breathing when they were sleeping, just to know they were alive. I still do it sometimes. Just makes us cherish them more when they're alive, IMO...
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

The hardest part of having pets is saying good bye. I still think about my others on an almost daily basis.
Sometimes one of my dogs will look a certain way at me and it reminds me of something the others have done.
I dont worry so much about the dogs I have now, all other deaths were either sudden or "freaky" in nature ( seizures)
I will never forget them or stop loving them as much as i did from day one, however, I remember the good times more than the bad.
Im so sorry for your loss and I do understand your hurt. and one day you will be able to relax, you have already stated that your cat is not your dog and that is one giant leap towards calming. everything will settle down emotionally for you, its all still new.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy98 View Post
Hopefully after a few weeks of having my cat around I will be able to relax and realise that he isn't my dog and not to worry about what happened in the past but look to the future and be happy with the moments I have right now.
You can never prevent the loss of your pets. But you can cherish them while they are alive. I'm really sorry for your loss.