Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Owning a lion in Ontario Canada

I now live in Ontario Canada and i would like to know which municipalities allow owning a lion?? I understand that there are municipalities in Ontario that have little to no rules.... And that you dont need a permit or license to own a lion??... Does anyone know what i would need to do to import a lion cub from the states? I have contacted a breeder in Ohio that has some cubs for sale and he is USDA licensed but he hasnt shipped any big cats to Canada so he is not sure on what i need to do on my end.....Do i need to contact the my ministry of Agriculture to get some paper work or how does it go??

p.s im really not on here to hear peoples opinions or their criticism im just looking for someone who can help answer my questions thanks.....

Last edited by lionking; March 14th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Why would you want to take a wild animal and force it into captivity regardless if it is captive bred?
I dont think you can legally own a lion anywhere here and your "breeder" of said lion should know the answers to your questions and really I think your best bet is to contact Ministry of Agriculture on this topic.
As for your municipalities that have little to no rules, you mean unorganized townships, however neighbours may raise a stink about a lion living next door and getting you in some major trouble with the ministry.
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Call ministry of agriculture if you want actual facts. they will know, I didnt state any opinons at all.
If I was stating my opinions I would have said if you dont know the ins and outs of importing a lion and have to come to a public forum you probably shouldnt be importing one.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:54 AM

Yes you def stated your opinion please look back to the very first sentence you wrote in your first message......... i will definitely call the ministry of agriculture..... And i dont know the ins and outs of IMPORTING exotics to Ontario cause i have never had to import an exotic to Ontario before....... I bet if i was asking about what i would have to do to import a sport horse stallion from Europe for my breeding program you would be more then happy to give some advise and not criticize..... just cause i dont know anything about importing exotics doesnt mean i dont have the knowledge about owning one or caring for one...

p.s im really not on here to hear peoples opinions or their criticism im just looking for someone who can help answer my questions thanks.....
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:06 AM
chronically insane.

Sorry but you are barking up the wrong tree. From someone who works with and owns venomous reptiles and other deadly creatures, a lion is too much for me to even think about. I don't think there is anyone here who can specifically answer your question, because we don't know EXACTLY where you live.. because even if we know that you live in Ontario, it's really hard to track anything down beyond that because we would have to contact each individual town or whatever for you and specifically ask them, and being that not many sane people would want to own a lion then chances are it would be very hard to track down an answer.

In the states we have Fish and Wildlife for our states which govern each state. like in NJ I'm technically not supposed to own venomous reptiles anywhere within the state, but I purchased them in another state that allows them.. but at the same time it's not like owning a lion or anything! My exotics are confined to appropriately sized enclosures and the only danger they would be is to myself if I was dumb enough to do something I'm not supposed to, but a lion on the other hand is something completely different.

Also where I live counties, towns and townships can override whatever Fish and Wildlife has to add more restrictions.. like for instance, owning farm animals is not forbidden in the state of NJ obviously, but my towns zoning would not approve of me having a cow in my backyard.

Good luck on your quest, but I highly doubt anyone here will help you out even if they could.. I'm not entirely sure how things work in Canada but I could try calling your town clerk or something and see what they say.. there is also the matter of buying a lion from the US to be sent to Canada.. that is a GIANT mess right there. You better make sure all the paperwork is in order and that you know all the exotic importing rules and regulations and you have the proper health certificates because I can tell you right now that I've seen first hand the kind of trouble you can get in from not having proper papers with exotic animals.. My friend had her 2 pet prairie dogs confiscated from her by Fish and Wildlife and nearly got hit with a HUGE fine for having them...

So yeah, good luck and hopefully if you decide to go threw with this we don't see you on the news like that lady that had her face ripped off by a chimp =/

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:55 AM

thanks.. Ya i know i will probably have to call each township to find out which one is ok with it ,i was just hoping someone on here already knew which townships are a go.. And yes venomous reptiles are nothing like a lion..lol...And yes i do have previous experience with dangerous animals....whether its a lion,venomous reptiles or an aggresive dog you need to be a responsible pet owner....Also i think your friend had a prob with the prairie dogs because they are native to north america and therefor are not aloud to be owned as pets here..... any ways i think your right about no one on here wanting to help me out even if they could cause i think people get worried or scared about big cats.... It has nothing to do with the whole its a wild animal and should be left in the wild..... because lets face it horses,dogs,cats, pet mice and rats all at one time were wild.....and of course reptiles they are even less domesticated then lions... lol .... this is something i am going to do for sure...... oh ya and i 2 also hope you dont see me on the news killed by my lion...lol
Closed Thread