Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Puppies switched at purchase

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure what to do. I am pretty upset about something I discovered last night.

My son and I have been looking for the 'perfect puppy' for just over a year now. We decided on a Border Collie and have viewed so many, but didn't find that 'one'. 2 weeks ago we went into a pet store and they had border collies x labs for sale. Normally I wouldn't even think of purchasing from a pet store due to the some stories I heard. We played around with one of the girls and fell in love with her. I don't know what it was exactly but I knew that she was meant for our familiy. I took a picture of her with my cell phone and texted it to my brother. We told the ladies at the store which one we wanted and they told us to go up and pay and they would bring the puppy up. I paid and they brought up my puppy wrapped up in a blanket - we left and got busy with our new addition. I took her to the vet the very next day to make sure that she was healthy.

Last night I was going through some pictures of her that i've taken over the past 2 weeks, and discovered that the puppy I picked out is not the same puppy that I have. The markings on her face, as well as her one paw is completly different.

I didn't really notice until I saw the picture that I took of her in the pet store.

I dont want to return her, but I feel as though I was mislead. I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Daisy (puppy) is a good pup, she's already crate trained very well. she responds to her name and has a bond with my son and I. I haven't been able to shake the feeling of being mislead all day.

I called the store and they said I can't talk to anyone until Monday. The puppy I picked out has already left the store - they said that there is no way they can get her.

What should I do?
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Enjoy Daisy.
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

First, you have to ask yourself "What do I expect in compensation from the pet store?" You like your puppy and if it checked out well at the vet and is happy, lovable, bonded well with your family and a joy to have in your family, then giving it back isn't really an option. What else is there compensation-wise? You went there looking for a puppy...you got a puppy...it isn't the one you picked, but perhaps it is the one you are supposed to have.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Enjoy Daisy.
I totally agree.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Molly's mama

Enjoy Daisy but PLEASE don't support a pet store again..... adopt from a shelter/ rescue! just had to get my in.
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

As already stated, enjoy Daisy. And, you didn't say if this is your first pup or if you've ever had a border collie before. If you haven't, do a lot of research about the breed and be prepared. They are super active, athletic and intelligent, almost scary too-intelligent if you don't know what you're getting yourself into. So many of them are given up before they're a year old because their people really had no idea what the breed is like. I have several myself and if you'd like I can point you in the direction of some good resources.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:42 PM

I really like the thought that maybe this was just meant to be.

I don't know if the pet store would switch the dogs on purpose...

They won't do anything for you now. Try to not think of this as a bad situation - because you got a healthy puppy that is already giving you and your son much happiness.

I know its easy to feel you have a "connection" from the first play session, but that doesn't determine the dogs behaviour and your relationship in the future. Continue to do what you're doing - keep up with the pup's health, bond with her, keep up with training. You won't regret it.
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others, enjoy Daisy, and send up a prayer for her poor parents stuck in the puppy mill.
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I'm a softy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I agree with the others, enjoy Daisy, and send up a prayer for her poor parents stuck in the puppy mill.
I agree, I am glad you found a pup, and you love her, but the truth is you gave them enough money to repeat what they have done, and it is a sad sad thing, maybe you can use this, to think of her parents, her mother, and daisy, to research about pet stores, and puppy mills, be a voice for her parents and help the cruel situation to stop.

Pet stores are bad enough but I really think one of the last breeds they should sell is a border collie, they let anyone have a dog, it doesn't matter who or what the buyer is, and I think most probably dont know what they are in for, and leads to many being dumped. They require a lot more than your average dog, they are a working dog, they are not happy couch potatoes that happily wait for the kids to come home to throw a ball for a few minutes, they need constant stimulation, another bad idea by a pet store.
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM

sorry to hear you didn't get the puppy you thought you were getting. I think you should keep the one you have. I took you a few week to realize you had the wrong one but you loved it like it the right one. Keep this dog the pet store won't do anything for you and if you bring her back who knows what kind of place she will end up going.