Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Unhappy Maggie's Tooth Operation

Hi!

I just had to share, to see if this has happened to anyone else. Saturday was Maggie's (11 week shepherd Cross Puppy) 2nd vet appointment. I mentioned to the vet that Thursday morning she hadn't ate very much, and she just picked at her food until about Friday night when she ate all her dinner and wanted more. Well, it turns out she had cracked one of her "fang" teeth. The vet wants to put her under and take it out as infection is highly possible, and he doesn't want to wait for it to fall out naturally. At the same time, he is planning on spaying her. He only wants to put her "under" once, which makes perfect sense to me. He says that spaying at 3 months is fine, and that the SPCA even spays at 8 weeks. I am just nervous that it is too soon. He went over the logistics of no side effects have ever been proven by early spaying. Currently, she is on antibiotics and I have been watering down her food to make it less hard for her to eat.

Has anyone else every had their dog spayed or neutered at such a young age?

To top it off, I feel terrible that I didn't even think to look at her teeth thinking that it could be the problem for her not eating..
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

IF the tooth needs to be seen to ASAP, then yes, spaying her at the same time is a good idea, since as the vet says - they don't want to anesthetize dogs unnecessarily.

Spaying at this age (and much younger) is very common now, as all rescues and many shelters have to do it before adoption to make sure it's done.

I have seen and heard some evidence that neutering a male dog very young can change some growth patterns, but nothing about spaying.

I would go ahead and do it.
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM

thanks!

Thanks for the comments. I have already given the go-ahead and set the operations date, but I just wondered if anyone else had ever experienced an early spaying.

Just me, being a worriesome mommy!
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well I can tell you that I had my pups dentistry done at the same time as the spay to avoid unneccessary anaestetic and everything went well.

I think everything should be fine, don't worry too much and let us know how she is
Old August 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

My Delaney was spayed at 8-10 wks (they weren't sure her age), before we could bring her home, she has a tatoo to prove it She was/is fine.