Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM

Left with some illegal turtles :(

When I was shutting our gate to leave work today, I noticed a small tank with two turtles in it. Both were hardly over an inch long. There was also water conditioner and food left, both fairly full.

I am at a loss of what to do with them. They're illegal, they carry many diseases, they shouldn't be let loose, and the humane society doesn't rescue amphibians and reptiles (as far as I know).

I don't know if I want to keep them because of the diseases they carry -- otherwise I would gladly keep them until they were large enough and take them to a local museum to release in their man-made pond. I don't think they're big enough, yet, for the museum to legally take them, but I will be calling them on Tuesday (after the holiday).

Also, what should I be cleaning the tank with and how often? Weekly? It was filthy when I brought them home today so I cleaned everything off with dishwasher detergent because that's what was recommended for my hamster's cage.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
-

The reason why they can carry disease is because they swim in their own waste. Keep the water clean, add a small filter and wash your hands with soap and water each time you handle them and everything should be ok. Many people up here keep certain turtles as pets.
Old September 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Are you certain there are no rescue organizations in your area? We have both a reptile refuge and a wild bird (owls, eagles, hawks etc) sanctuary up here in the lower mainland of BC. We even have places that will take sick, injured or young seagulls. I would phone the humane society just in case. I am certain that they could help you or at least give you some advise or direction on what to do with them.

It really bothers me when people just abandon their animals. You should see the amount of iguanas, snakes and even snapping turtles and caymens that they have at the reptile refuge up here! I have been there a couple of times and there are plenty of horror stories. And people wonder why I have more respect and love for animals than I do my own species.
Old September 4th, 2005, 05:16 PM
-

I remember when they used to sell the Caymens in this area. They were nasty. They would have grown too large to just look at them. They would have needed to be handled though I don't know how.
There must be a wildlife center in your area.
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
I remember when they used to sell the Caymens in this area. They were nasty. They would have grown too large to just look at them. They would have needed to be handled though I don't know how.
There must be a wildlife center in your area.
My son and I were in a mall and they had caymens for sale there. My son had just recently visited the refuge and was pretty po'ed by it. The sign said they grew to four feet....my son knew very well that was BS as some of them he saw at the refuge were six feet or more and definately not for pets. He went in there and told the guy off...not nastily or anything...but explained to him that it was very false and that they should not be selling them at all. I was quite proud of him....especially since he was only about nine years old at the time.