Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old January 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Put your 2009 Bird Pictures here!

Chris thinks we're being chintzy with our bird pics....

Does anyone have any? I know it's been extremely cold, uncomfortably so, for standing out by the feeder with a metal camera, waiting for the little darlings to cooperate. But someone must have some 2009 shots (Chris won't let me use the hawk shots from last Dec She's so fussy )

Here are a couple from just a few days ago. It was so cold that the birds kept coming to the feeders even though I was standing right there--they needed the energy. Even though I was only out there for less than 10 minutes, I nearly froze to my camera

Name:  Chickadee 1-23-09.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Peekaboo 1-23-09.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  37.7 KB

Not very impressive, I'm afraid. I'm hoping for warmer weather and better shots soon.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I took a pic of a lonely little Mourning Dove sitting on my fence post this morn. Not very good because of the danged snowstorm we are having. Thought I saw a flash of red. Cardinals must be around.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM
-

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Finally - just a little push and a shove to get you guys away from you comfy chairs and get snapping

Frostbitten fingers is a minor detail when it comes to nature.......and keeping me happy

More Pleeeeease
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Finally - just a little push and a shove to get you guys away from you comfy chairs and get snapping

Frostbitten fingers is a minor detail when it comes to nature.......and keeping me happy

More Pleeeeease
(cough, cough) Did you forget a week or so ago I did put a couple of pics up with birdies trying to figure out what they were? Turns out they were Snow Buntings. And since then they have left the area. :sad:
We do have a pair of cardinals around. I saw the female at the feeder when I was over this morning.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
-

Yes woman I remember, but it was soooooo long ago, it is just a distant memory

Up until a couple of weeks ago "I" had Cardinals coming out of the ying yang, but I think my next door neighbour finally started filling his feeders and I have not seen one for a few days

So did you snap a pic while she was at your feeder....huh..huh did ya?
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Yes woman I remember, but it was soooooo long ago, it is just a distant memory

Up until a couple of weeks ago "I" had Cardinals coming out of the ying yang, but I think my next door neighbour finally started filling his feeders and I have not seen one for a few days

So did you snap a pic while she was at your feeder....huh..huh did ya?
Ummm no. I had my hands full of the bucket of bird food and dog biscuits for my tenants GSD's. They wait for me to feed the birds and come down for their treat every day. I will keep on trying.

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

for 15 years I have been using this feeder (besides others) and in all that time there has NEVER been a bird trapped inside it...this weekend there was

I released him, 20 minutes later..guess who's back?? *L* so now the side is removed off of it

sitting and watching me remove the side

and of course the falccon that I posted in another post last week

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Melinda, the chickadee wasn't stuck in there--he was just tryin' to keep out of the wind! You should put the side back in and charge room rates

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,I have tons of birds,about 25 Pigeons every day,Cardinals,Chickadees,Blue Jays,Robins,Mourningdoves,Starlings,a milllion Sparrows etc...and of course my Crows(3)and Hawks come by here every day,but I have a lousy camera,cannot get close enough,to get a good pic:sad:
But I'll keep trying,promise
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,the pic of the Falcon looks great,whatever part of a ibird that sticks out through the snow is sad,but birds of prey have to eat.
I have a few some smaller and one really large Hawk,they are usually after my Pigeons and I hate to see them killed,but these magnificent birds have to survive.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Animal Lover

I took these when i just got my new camera. I'll take some more when he/she come's back.

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Melinda,the pic of the Falcon looks great,whatever part of a ibird that sticks out through the snow is sad,but birds of prey have to eat.
I have a few some smaller and one really large Hawk,they are usually after my Pigeons and I hate to see them killed,but these magnificent birds have to survive.
thats a piece of wood chico, the only bit of bird is what the falcon is standing on....yes, its sad, but like you said, they have to eat...ewwwwwwww *L* I took pics of my crows gathering for you, I'll post them here tomorrow
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nice blue jay, browniesmom! I can't get decent pics of ours--the dogs love to chase them and they all fly away the second they see the door begin to open!

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry they aren't too clear, they are soooo noisy during their meal *L* and comical, one will be on a branch and two others will land making them all fall off

coming in for a feeding

feeding

Old January 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I have never seen so many Crows in one shot,I only have 3..any other Crow coming here gets chased away by them.
In the spring I'll hopefully see a couple of babies again.
I would love to see that many Crows together,I bet they make a racket.
What are thy feeding on?
I've never seen a Crow kill a live bird,other than nestlings.
Great shots
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
-

Great pics guys, trying to stash them for yourselves...tut..tut. We have a lot of Crows but I haven't seen that many flying into one spot Melinda, they are not my favourite bird but deserve to live like the rest.

Keep em coming
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

*hoping I spell this right* they are feasting on the fuzzy cones of the sumak? shumak? tree's, same as what the deer eat, we also put out cracked corn for them, I like the crows, they clean up everything!! *L* usually there are a good 100-200 out there feeding and yep, very noisy, I had to take the pics through the glass because they are only about 8 feet from the window and any noise sends them off in a flurry....but they will return within minutes, you can almost set your clock by them.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
*hoping I spell this right* they are feasting on the fuzzy cones of the sumak? shumak? tree's, same as what the deer eat, we also put out cracked corn for them, I like the crows, they clean up everything!! *L* usually there are a good 100-200 out there feeding and yep, very noisy, I had to take the pics through the glass because they are only about 8 feet from the window and any noise sends them off in a flurry....but they will return within minutes, you can almost set your clock by them.
I believe it is "Sumac" Melinda, I often see the Crows in the yard going at the marrow bones that still have marrow left in them, but nowhere the near the number in your pic.
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for the spelling Chris! the good thing about the crows eating the "cones" is that they are very sloppy eaters and lose more than they eat, which puts the leftovers where the deer can get them.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Came back from picking my son up at school and found this little visitor on my front porch....he/she is pretty cute
Attached Images

Old January 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Melinda that falcon is gorgeous! Not sure where you are in Ontario but have you ever seen any bands on that falcon? If so the Canadian Peregrine Foundation would love to hear from you so that they may be able to identify it from the numbers and colors of band? I LOVE falcons! they are amazing birds. I have lots of those pics! I saw our resident female today sititng on her favorite spot the CIBC sign downtown!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

SIL,I have anywhere from 25-35 Pigeons every day,some are very beautiful,I love the all white ones,they look like angels
We buy huge bags of whole corn for them+they clean up all the leftover birdseeds.
Everybody probably already saw my Pigeons,but I'll add a pic.

I've been feeding my Crows dinner-leftovers for many years,they too are here like clock-work,smart birds

Winston,I had a huge Hawk here today,when he flew off,his underside including the wings,was all white,I almost thought he was an owl.
We have about 3 different kinds coming here in the winter,unfortunately some of my Pigeons are the victims.
So,the cycle continues in Hamilton,that's great.
Attached Images

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Melinda that falcon is gorgeous! Not sure where you are in Ontario but have you ever seen any bands on that falcon? If so the Canadian Peregrine Foundation would love to hear from you so that they may be able to identify it from the numbers and colors of band? I LOVE falcons! they are amazing birds. I have lots of those pics! I saw our resident female today sititng on her favorite spot the CIBC sign downtown!
the ministry knows its here, we have quite a few around Cornwall (where I live) but usually they aren't this close when eating their meal, we watch them dive into the fields and carry their kill off. I chased it off last year for coming after my squirrels, and I've never seen a band on any of them.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,I did not know you are rehabbing wild-life
That's great to know,if I ever have any questions.
I really started feeding my Squirrels when one day many years ago I had a Squirrel who was wounded.
She had a front-leg hanging by a thread,which eventually fell off.
She was an amazing little animal,stayed around here,had 2 litters .
There were others with different injuries,not that I could bandage them up or anythingbut easy food helped them survive.
If any animal is seriously wounded,beyond help,our HS will help out.

I have yet to see a Hawk get a Squirrel(I hope not),when the Hawks are sitting in the tree,the Squirrels freeze in place,don't move,but I've seen brave(stupid) Squirrels go for the Hawks trying to scare them away.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Animal Lover

Here is New york You would never feed pigeons lol
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Melinda thats great! I am a falcon lover and a volunteer falcon watcher in Hamilton so if you get any more pics of him/her (looks like a him based on size) let me know Iwould love to see them!

Cindy

Chico Hawk pics please!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniesmom View Post
Here is New york You would never feed pigeons lol
Why not because there are too many. They say that there are too many of this that and the other then anniliate them and then there are none.

In London England for ever there was a rampant population of pigeons in Trafalgar Square, it was a big, big tourist attraction, they sold feed to feed them. One could literally stand there and have twenty pigeons sitting on you. Then some bright Mayor of the City decided "No more Pigeons in Trafalgar Square", there goes another tourist attraction :sad:
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Pigeons (rock doves) aren't native to north america, Chris. They're considered pests because of the high numbers and the germy mess they leave in the cities. Sort of like flying rats in some places

I always liked seeing them in the city, though--one of the few species we had in the city limits.

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,unfortunately I have to take the pics from inside and my camera is just not good enough,
The one I had who was feeding with the Crows,was the closest I've ever gotten.
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Pigeons (rock doves) aren't native to north america, Chris. They're considered pests because of the high numbers and the germy mess they leave in the cities. Sort of like flying rats in some places

I know Hazel, but they are little birdies nonetheless. I have just started mixing some feed that includes corn in with the better seed that I am buying (trying to cut the cost a bit) and this week I have been having pigeons come to my yard......made me happy.

I always liked seeing them in the city, though--one of the few species we had in the city limits.
Name:  flying birdy.gif
Views: 257
Size:  3.4 KB Tweet, tweet