Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Poor Franny

A few days ago my elderly neighbour came by and we were talking about a cat she found. She proceeds to tell me she found this cate near death a few blocks from our neighbourhood. She says she found her curled up in a ball unable to move. She picked her up and brought her home. She tells me she was filthy and hungry. No fleas but obvious signs of an injury at some point. She tells me the cat could hardly walk and has some kind of an injury to its back end cause it wont sit down.

So I ask, how old do you think she is? trying to get across to her that she doesnt know even if the cat has been spayed or if it is preggers!!!

She says that the cat is about 1 year old!

Last night I decided to take some canned food over cause she told me she was giving her friskies! She goes to get the cat to show me her (she has named her Franny) and I take one look at the cat and there is no way she is 1 yr old! I am thinking she is over 10 yrs old or close to it! tried to tell her and she didnt seem to care! I asked her if she put up a poster for a found cat or anything and she was really upset! she said if they left her in that condition then they shouldnt have her! I agree that the cat could be better taken care of. I also know that this lady has another cat indoors too and it gets all the love and care it needs and so will Franny.

Heres my dilemma! I think that she picked up someones cat and they may be missing it? She plans to take it to the vet soon to get her checked over so I am hoping the vet will tell her the real age or close to it or maybe even if she is chipped?? Then again if she was that bad she is best where shes at! She is really a cutie oie...mostly black with some white spots and BIG white feet! I watched her try to sit down and she can get into the postion to sit but her bum cant seem to touch the floor...she keeps it raised...she is not steady on her feet 100% either.....and the worst part she did not like me! she growled and growled at me! poor thing!

Am I worrying for nothing?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
-

No Winston, you are not worrying for nothing, you CARE, it shows the kind of person you are. Maybe your neighbour is not doing the right thing by not putting up found posters etc., but it seems by what you are saying that the cat needs some Vet care NOW and if your neighbour is willing to do that, take that as Step 1 and then maybe see if she will try to find it's rightful owners, if in fact the cat has one. As you know there are so many strays this just might be the case.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Poor kitty :sad: Is it possible it was hit by a car? Maybe Franny has an injury as your neighbor says. When does she see the vet? I hope it nothing to serious.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I might get slammed for this but what the heck..
I assume no posters have been put up about Franny by the owners. I personally would take a picture of the cat, make a poster stating, i have found your cat, she is in a loving home being loved and well taken care of now. No I will not give her back. no phone number nothing.

if the cat was in that bad of shape then the owners don't deserve her back. But this way they know she's atleast being taken care of.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM
chronically insane.

While I agree that it could have been someones cat that got out and got hit by a car, I don't think you should put up any posters. Instead, you should just keep a lookout for posters yourself. If the previous owner actually wants the cat back, they would put up posters themselves. You could always call around to the local shelters and ask if anyone has come in looking for the cat.

The vet should scan for a chip I hope. If the cat is not chipped, no collar or anything then she legally has a right to adopt the cat after a certain amount of time if no one is looking for the cat.

If she takes it to the vet and it isn't spayed or shows sighs of long term neglect then I wouldn't even bother looking for the original owners.

When I find strays I just keep them It's mostly because I know these cats were born to feral cats to begin with, and those feral cats came from people throwing their pet cats out like garbage. I never make an effort to find the original owner of any of my strays unless I plan to call the SPCA on them for abandonment.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

It's a tough choice, I think of my Lucky (RIP)and all my others for that matter I couldn't imagine what I would do if they got out and got hurt, and someone picked them up thinking I was a bad owner, and not return them to me, thinking "I" hurt them.
Pets unfortunately get out sometimes, through negligence, kids, workers, and through their own ingenuity as well, it does not mean we don't love or care for them.

If she feels that strongly, then if I were you I would keep my eye out for "lost cat" posters and ads, that way she won't have to put up found ones, and if there is a loving home missing Franny. If Franny is loved, then someone will put ads up for her.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; September 5th, 2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

don't misunderstand me ladies, i did say i assume they didn't put up posters. I do not condone just keeping a found animal just 'cause i like it, or think i can give it a better home.

If the cat is in bad physical health, and the original owners make no effort to even put up a few posters then they shouldn't get them back.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
don't misunderstand me ladies, i did say i assume they didn't put up posters. I do not condone just keeping a found animal just 'cause i like it, or think i can give it a better home.

If the cat is in bad physical health, and the original owners make no effort to even put up a few posters then they shouldn't get them back.
I totally agree!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG thats what is driving me crazy.I often think of all the missing ones out there and maybe this is the case! there are so many what if scenarios! I am going to check on her over the next few days and see how things are going. I dont know when she is getting her to the vet but I have told her to do it soon cause she doesnt know what is wrong with Franny? she has another cat that she just spent 900.00 on dental work so she said it may have to wait a couple of weeks!

I am also trying to tell her that the kitty is much older than 1 year! she may be sick??

She told me where she picked her up and I will keep checking for posters! if I see one I will call them myself and see what happens from there!

Who knows maybe no one is looking for her but I cant help think someone is!

Thanks for the advise!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

When I read about found animals I think of Sable, Spencer, Billie, Alex and all the others who have lost their beloved pets. We shouldn't ever assume they were not loved or missed by their owners. This kitty may have accidentally gotten out, lost and wondered for miles and that is why there are no posters in the area. Maybe there was an evil neighbour who kidnapped the kitty and dropped it off miles from home, who knows.

Your neighbour is very kind to take in this kitty, but really should at least contact all the local shelters and vets to see if somebody is looking for her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey