Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:16 AM
banned user

Kitty Not Acting Right

My two youngest babies had their surgery yesterday and they got through it just fine. The youngest is being kinda mean. I know I wouldn't be acting right either if I just had surgery but the 3 others were all fixed and they never did this. I have never heard her hiss until now, or growl and she's been doing it to all the other cats. She purrs when I hold her, I just thought it was odd to react that way to her companions. Should I separate them? She's not attacking or anything, just saying back off.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Animals have all kinds of reactions to anesthetic. Short term aggression can be one of the reactions.

She might also be stressed by the trip, surgery, etc. and is using the other cats as "targets" to relieve the stress. You might want to put her by herself in a room for a day and see how she does. Introduce her to the other cats one at a time after that.

This might be a good idea anyway, since you don't want them playing too hard or wrestling right after surgery.

Let us know how she's doing!
Old June 25th, 2004, 09:52 PM
banned user

I did put her by herself for a while and she started hissing at me instead of other cats. I left her alone for a few hours and then let her out and she is fine, I honestly think she was being nasty because she was pissed she didn't have run of the house, she's acting like normal. I may have to contain her again though cause I don't think she should play so heavy yet.
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I would definitely say that her behavior was a reaction to the anesthetic. Glad she's feeling better!