Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM

The waiting game...

I hate it!

Tommy's at the vet's for the day. Today's the big day... scope down the throat and scope up the behind (poor guy!) and possibly a few answers at the end of it. Or else nothing until the biopsy results come back next week. IBD? Megaesophagus? Cancer? Tumor? I hate waiting! Poor little thing's lost another pound and a half too, down to just over 6 pounds now because he couldn't eat at all for a day and a half before the scopes. I'm so scared it's going to be bad news and we'll have put him through all this for nothing. I just can't wait to get him home.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah waiting is definetly the worst.

Sending you for good news, something that is very easy to treat so he will be 110% better in no time

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It's always best to know so you can make the right decisions. But I understand your agony.
I took a cat to the vet last week, a recent stray. He had major earmites, so the vet was rummaging around with his Q-tips; an abcess on his cheek which had to be shaved and poked; then a shot in the bum for fever; after which they extracted urine directly from his bladder to check for a suspected infection (which was positive). He must have wondered what hell he had descended into. Frankly, we were both a bit shell-shocked, and it had nothing to do with the bill!
Happily, he is doing much better now and is bouncing around the house. Yesterday I got my first hip-check, yay!
At least your guy will be under for his tests. Fingers crossed that it's something benign.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM

Oh Tommysmom, let me tell you, the wait is the WORST!! When I brought Finn down for his xrays, I was a wreck al day! But, it does feel better at least knowing what he has, even though I was hoping for better. At least you can deal with it.

Sending good vibes that Tommy will be fine. Let us know how he does!

Nikki
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM

Aww... Waiting is the hardest! I hope he does ok.
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor little Tommy and you,he is such a tiny little boy:sad:
You and him have been through sooo much,I the little guy will have something easy to treat
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM

*update*

Thank you for all your kind thoughts for me and Tommy .

He's home! This place just doesn't seem like home without a puppy wandering around. The good news is, the scope ruled out megaesophagus, tumors, and all the other nasty stuff they might have seen. They're pretty darn certain it's IBD now and we just have to wait for the biopsy results next week. They've gone ahead and given him a corticosteroid shot though, which should help him feel better in a day or two. Once we get the results we can figure out a plan for the prednisone and diet changes and see how it goes.

In the meantime, he looks soooooooooo pathetic! He's been scoped at both ends, neutered and microchipped. He's so scrawny from not eating for weeks and then having to withold food for the last few days and you can really see his shrunken little manhood and stitches:sad: . Poor little guy's been completely invaded at all ends, lol. He's embarassed too because the drive home was a bit too long for him with all the IV fluids he's had today, and he ended up peeing all over mommy's lap... something he's NEVER done, not even when we first got him! (No, I wasn't driving, just couldn't bear to strap him in his harness or crate him after he'd been through so much the last few weeks). That's ok though... that's what mommies are there for. We're washable:love: .

So, we don't know for sure, but it appears we have an IBD doggy on our hands. Disappointing to know he's going to be stuck with this for life... but hey, it could certainly be worse. And at least he's a boy doggy - I've always had girl puppies before, and had to be soooooo careful with them after spaying! I didn't realize it was much easier with boy doggies, as long as he doesn't lick his stitches he can pretty much do what he wants .

Thank you all again for being such a wonderfully supportive group of people .
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
-

I'm glad Tommy's back home with his mommy ! Poor little boy :sad: he must be soo tired ! And you must be kind of relieve , I mean he's with you now. Will keep for good news.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Owned by goldens

The waiting game

Poor little guys been through alot today. He must be sore and uncomfortable and wondering what the heck happened. I am sure he will love all the TLC you are giving him.
that everything is okay.
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM
-

to all of you !! It must be such a relief that if he has anything ~ it's something like IBD which he will livewith. But poor little guy ~ he's so lucky to have you !!
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM

I'm glad the scope went ok... I hope you can get this under control.

for Tommy! And for you.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM
Cinder & Maddie's Mom

I'm glad he's home again so mommy can heap all her TLC on him...
that everything goes well with the biopsy.
You'll be in my thoughts.

Pepper (16) Border Collie/Blue Heeler x
Samantha (15) English Springer Spaniel

Saving just one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that animal.

The soul is the same in all living creatures, even if the body is different.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
-

Glad all the really bad things have been ruled out. Poor little Tommy has been through alot but he has such a caring mommy. Fingers crossed for the biopsy results.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Phew,I was worried about opening this thread..
I know nothing about IBD,but it sounds better than the big C and other scary things.
If he can still live a good life with it,the diagnosis is good news,right
I got peed on once too,Chico was just so frightened,but what's a little pee,like you say,we are washable
A BIG hug to you and the little tyke Tommy
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear the tests ruled out all the bad things. You must feel very relieved. Hopefully that is all the tests that poor little Tommy will have to go through for awhile. Poor little guy:sad: Hope he can start to feel better soon